Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 Dec 04 · Price optional  (Read 7714 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 08:45:10 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
I confess I totally want to derail this thread into a detailed discussion of institutional food prep practices, mostly because todays strip underwhelmed me.  But I'll save it up for another spot out of some vague sense of not fouling the board type thing.


Yeah, because we really frown on wandering threads around here.  Keep it on topic or I'll break your pelvis.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 09:15:42 pm »

That cat is in fact fairly terrifying, yes. It reminds me of the hairless cats which my uncle attempted to breed for a while until he managed to get mauled by an ill-tempered one and gave what was left (a particularly wretched-looking female and her two kittens) to my grandparents.

My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 09:27:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 09:36:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?

Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.
Logged

designbot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 10:35:44 pm »

I totally didn't get that the photo of the cat was supposed to be the teacher. I was like, why is there a picture of a cat with the eyes blacked out? Is it the teacher's pet? I didn't even think about the whole anthropomorphic Animal High School thing.
Logged
[size=9]I used to tear my shirt
But now you tore my heart
The world just lost another Hulkamaniac
I wish Hulk's love could bring you back again[/size]

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2004, 10:48:20 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.

Ia.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 12:36:44 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.

Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?

Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.

And here I was expecting a cheap Paris Hilton joke.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 01:56:31 am »

Quote from: "Asherdan"

Heartily concur, although from prior 'stad statements it looks like it just doesn't work that way from a creative choice standpoint.


I still thing I had one of the great unsung one-liners in that one.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 05:33:07 am »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "Asherdan"

Heartily concur, although from prior 'stad statements it looks like it just doesn't work that way from a creative choice standpoint.


I still thing I had one of the great unsung one-liners in that one.


Wow, I missed that whole thing.  That's what I get for being an erratic forum checker.  Does Onstand still play here, or was he scared away?

I really enjoyed today's strip.  In HS I was on the Newspaper staff and we always talked about doing an underground paper.  I think we got around to publishing a couple issues, under pseudonyms of course so the administration couldn't take us down.  We were so hardcore, man.  We blew their fuck*ng minds.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 05:37:33 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
That cat is in fact fairly terrifying, yes. It reminds me of the hairless cats which my uncle attempted to breed for a while until he managed to get mauled by an ill-tempered one and gave what was left (a particularly wretched-looking female and her two kittens) to my grandparents.

My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.


OK, and sorry if this offends anyone, but what the FUCK is the appeal of a hairless cat?  They are so creepy!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004, 08:55:00 am »

They are warm and soft, like a human ass that can be carried around.
Oh, kind of like an actual ass then?
Concession made in the spelling of arse there for my American compatriots.
Also, IA! IA! Cthulu fhtagn!
Shub-Nigurrath, the goat in the woods with the thousand young!
*goes insane*
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 01:56:48 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
They are warm and soft, like a human ass that can be carried around.
Oh, kind of like an actual ass then?
Concession made in the spelling of arse there for my American compatriots.

See, I don't get this. Over here arse is a very tame fake swear such as kids would use in front of their parents. Like heck or dang. Is it actually considered bad over there?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2004, 02:13:30 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

See, I don't get this. Over here arse is a very tame fake swear such as kids would use in front of their parents. Like heck or dang. Is it actually considered bad over there?


Not really. Though I'm probably not the best judge.
I say it in that context mostly, in the few instances when I don't just say fuck instead. But, given that my parents never objected to me swearing, it's difficult to know if it's somewhat more acceptable generally. I suspect so.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2004, 05:20:52 pm »

I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2004, 05:25:51 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?

I think it's also just the foreignness. I had a German coworker for years and she would say things like shit and hell as casual swearing. But when something went really wrong she'd use german. While the rest of us picked up the habit of saying "scheiße" for minor things. So I guess finding other language's swear-words less bad is a universal concept.

See also: shag, wanker
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up