Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9 Dec 04 · Price optional  (Read 7697 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2004, 05:37:03 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?


Erm. I think bloody depends a lot. I have seen some people who think it's a terrible thing to say. I think this tends to depend on the religiosity of the person who hears it though. Or just the bizarre offendibility.
Likewise shag and wanker, I mean, any time the Simpsons uses it they have to cut it out (when they showed them at 6 here). Similarly bastard is not a before the watershed word most of the time.
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2004, 05:40:49 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?


Erm. I think bloody depends a lot. I have seen some people who think it's a terrible thing to say. I think this tends to depend on the religiosity of the person who hears it though. Or just the bizarre offendibility.
Likewise shag and wanker, I mean, any time the Simpsons uses it they have to cut it out (when they showed them at 6 here). Similarly bastard is not a before the watershed word most of the time.
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?


Not only do we know what it means, but we're all schooled from a tender young age in how King Henry VIII enacted the Buggery Act of 1533.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004, 05:48:51 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?

I would say not at all. "Bugger off" is something people would say to children. In that sense I'd say it's meaning is closer to "scram." It's equally innocent as a noun, used in senses such as "cute little bugger." In English class the teacher actually had to explain to the class what "buggery" is when it came up in one of the novels.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 05:58:22 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "slink"
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?

I would say not at all. "Bugger off" is something people would say to children. In that sense I'd say it's meaning is closer to "scram." It's equally innocent as a noun, used in senses such as "cute little bugger." In English class the teacher actually had to explain to the class what "buggery" is when it came up in one of the novels.


Alternately named after the Turks (Bulgars) who were rumored to have a penchance for sodomy, or an alternate name for the Cathars, whose sect originated in the Balkans (by Bulgars) and promoted sodomy as a means of contraception.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 06:09:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

"Bugger off" is something people would say to children.


OK, I think that's less the case here is all. Maybe. Not really sure. Most of the kids I see around with their parents are being told to fuck off... It's a gem of a town this.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004, 06:39:05 pm »

Yeah, "bugger" seems to be generally considered harmless in the U.S. when not deliberately used in a sodomy-related context, in which I have seen it used as a vaguely quaint euphemism. The terms seem to be diverging rapidly from one another, and I suspect in fifty years American and English "bugger" will have no common connotations at all.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004, 07:09:25 pm »

What V said.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004, 07:20:49 pm »

FHTAGN
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2004, 12:30:37 am »

How does that song go?

"Sodomeeee, sodoyouuuu, sodo-everybody in this whole damn roooooom"
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

rrh

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 04:39:59 pm »

I wasn't bothered by the photograph. And I think it helped to capture the zine aesthetic.
Logged

Franz.

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
9 Dec 04 · Price optional
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2004, 06:46:46 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Franz."
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.

Salmon nuggets?

They were breaded on the outside but pink on the inside! With tartar sauce for dippin'!


I think - and I could be wrong here, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it - I think that that could not be a worse thing to do with salmon if it tried to be.

How the hell did the school get its hands on salmon, anyway? I mean, really! Think about the process that poor salmon must have gone through after its death!

And roast it badly, you horrid cafeteria people, in too much oil, but for the love of not vomiting, don't fry it!

Sorry. I am ten kinds of upset about this. On Monday I will bring a motion before the Portland City Council to pass a resolution prohibiting our public schools from ever doing this as long as we both shall live.

Ugh.

Yours, &c,

[ Franz. ]
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up