Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004  (Read 4572 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 05:24:17 pm »

I was totally singing When I'm Sixty-Four to myself all night before this strip. I am stunned.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 05:31:48 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The offstage nature of this strip is gorgeous.

"I say we make a pact, no matter what happens we don't leave the store. There's just too much plot going on outside."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 05:43:03 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 05:45:59 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 05:46:27 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


On second thought, if it were Todd, he'd be cussin' up a storm.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2004, 05:47:41 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2004, 05:55:30 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2004, 05:58:10 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"


I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied.


Why Tolkein?  Don't Sherlock Holmes fans go back a lot farther with doing this sort of thing?

And in which case, aren't we part of a Grand Tradition?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2004, 06:18:22 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Noah

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 200
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2004, 06:30:38 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2004, 06:36:47 pm »

Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency, but this has always struck me as a strip where Onstad did build some kind of a world behind the scenes. When I critique, I mean it in an affectionate way -- in my terribly anorakish way, I'm saying "I love this strip and this world so much that I want to make better sense of it."

YMMV, natch.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2004, 08:57:09 pm »

Maybe Todd called from jail in Hell. He was asking for advice but the documented problems of Hell-Earth telephone connections changed it into a digression about the volume of farts.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2004, 10:00:27 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency...


Like an aerial view of a Pyramid.  Gorgeous.

I think consistency takes a lot of fun out of life.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2004, 10:12:32 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this.


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency...


Like an aerial view of a Pyramid.  Gorgeous.

I think consistency takes a lot of fun out of life.


 We've done this once already.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2004, 10:19:09 pm »

i just wanted to let everybody who doesn't care know that i'm enjoying the rat tales since i'm going through the same cwap right now.  in my room there are four traps, since i found droppings on my desk behind my.  
we've got five mice in the last three weeks.
three were brown, one was dark gray, and one was light grey.  

one ran under the door and into my closet when i entered the room and turned on the light.  i put a trap in the closet, sealed the space under the door with bubble wrap and tape, and went to sleep listening the the penis scritch scratch away at the wall.  no satisfying snap.

they call me the hunter.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up