Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ray's Place (08-12-03)  (Read 6127 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Ray's Place (08-12-03)
« on: August 12, 2003, 02:29:49 pm »

After last weeks question from Bella my mom sent me an email telling me how she would fight her for Ray, and wouldn't be at all distressed by the scale issues.
Quite disturbing somewhat! But still, Ray as a father-in-law...

Anyway, still loving Ray's Place.
Over to you guys...

[edit: "This fellow sees you as nothing more than a moist birth canal with pleasurable friction." Busts a damn lung!!!]

Column.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:56:33 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RP 12/08
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 03:05:55 pm »

Damn, I wish my mom read Achewood!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
RP 12/08
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 03:14:19 pm »

Best actual advice: the guy with the ring problem.  Fuck her if she can't accept an honest gesture of love because of a brand name.  

I like how this one is a little lighter on the humor, more heavy on the serious advice.  It makes the advice column diverse and surprising!
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

V-Adore

  • Guest
RP 12/08
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 06:38:28 pm »

I was actually kind of surprised at the seriousness and general quality of the advice, yeah. This week, Ray's all about actually helping people.

I, too, feel quite bad for the woman(?) whose girlfriend won't stop talking about her ex. It really is sort of a sad and a difficult situation all around. Overall, this Ray's Place is probably the one where I'm most hoping that things generally work out for these people. (Although the "moist birth canal" girl is probably gonna go and all ignore Ray. Typical.)
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
RP 12/08
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 06:52:47 pm »

Quote from: "Schabe"
Best actual advice: the guy with the ring problem.  Fuck her if she can't accept an honest gesture of love because of a brand name.

Seconded.  I hope the girl in question read Ray's reply.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
RP 12/08
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 07:56:58 pm »

Also, I actually picked up on the fact that the wannabe-swinger letter was written by a guy, too.  Although I'm not sure what tipped my hat, having gone back and tried to read it more thoroughly.
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
Ray’s
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 09:21:42 pm »

This week, Ray said that Nietzsche wrote The Metamorphosis of Kafka. I suppose he had confused N.’s criticism of the work with the story itself.

It’s sexist to think that one could distinguish a man from a woman by their attitude or choice of words (for example, the author named ‘Bi-curious’). But in that letter, Ray might have thought Bi-curious was really a man because (s)he:

1. wants to ‘broaden sexual horizons’ after only ten months
2. calls herself ‘lovely’
3. refers to significant other as ‘main squeeze’
4. expresses brutish desire to ‘juice this chick up’
5. brutishly expresses (s)he is ‘out for snatch’
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
RP 12/08
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 09:31:56 pm »

Ray also has a little information we don't get -- like, quite possibly, the reader's name.  If it's something like "Bill," that's a pretty clear indication that it's a guy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
RP 12/08
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 12:15:27 am »

I've been most impressed lately with the overall decency that Ray's been showing in actually dispensing some useful (if not obvious) advice.

The ring letter was perfect.  If you ask a girl to marry you and she asks how much the ring costs, I'm sorry, but you just saved yourself years of agony by ditching her.

And I like how Ray got all misty-eyed.  That's a sad situation.

I may actually send "Ray" a sincere question this week.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
RP 12/08
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2003, 01:17:37 am »

I love how Ray takes the long-running advice column theme of agreeing with the questioner's friends that that guy really is slime/that girl is a ho but finds new and funny ways to say it.

Also the birth canal line made me hunch over in laughter.
Logged

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
Re: Ray’s
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2003, 02:50:07 pm »

Quote from: "satchel"
I suppose he had confused N.’s criticism of the work with the story itself.



Friedrich Nietzsche: 1844 - 1900
Kafka writes The Metamorphosis: 1912 (first published 1915)

Ray is just traight up wrong (whether or not this is intentional on Chris's part is another question, as it could be an example of Ray not caring about philosophers, so giving inaccurate advice).

As for the sexist angle, I wasn't trying to say I "knew" it was a man, but the first time I read the letter, before I got to Ray's note at the end of his reply, I initially thought it was a man who had a boyfriend.  I agree though, it probably had a lot to do with the language choice.  "Juice this chick up?"
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

junk

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
RP 12/08
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 06:52:47 pm »

im starting to look forward to ray's place more than the individual strips. with two plus years of archives and ray's place that still make me laugh, i can handle a few unimpressive strips and the dreaded variety hour each week.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
Ray’s
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 08:08:15 pm »

Schab, I wasn’t saying you were sexist, it was vaguely sexist of Ray to ask us to find gender-clues in someone’s writing. Also, I thought Nietzsche had written commentary on Kafka, obviously I was wrong as well.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

captainimpossibles

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
RP 12/08
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 05:33:19 am »

Guy, guys. You were BOTH wrong.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
N-K
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2003, 03:49:16 pm »

Further research shows that many commentators consider Kafka’s Matamorphosis an extension of ideas proposed in Nietzsche’s philosophy.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up