But I do disagree about the show seeming to go on and on. It's hard for me to wait in between getting discs in the mail (I'm renting it from Blockbuster online).
Yeah, actually I am always impatient to get the next disk - it's hard to watch them in order getting them from the local video store - it's more that sometimes individual episodes or scenes make me wish I could skip ahead. Especially, while I appreciate that they spend some time on character development of the characters outside of their work, I feel like a lot of those non-plot-related scenes go on a little past where I want to say, OK, I get it already.
I was a big fan of Homicide. But I probably wouldn't have watched that if it wasn't set in Baltimore either. But I guess none of this is surprising, it is so unusual for me to sit down in front of the TV and stay seated for a whole hour, there has to be a lot of different kinds of incentive to add up.
The writer who lives around here is George Pelecanos, whose books are set in DC and in my part of Maryland, which is not near Baltimore, but are also a lot about drug dealing and race relations and all that. So I guess he fit right in. Continuing the theme, I probably wouldn't have read his books either if they hadn't featured characters who hung out in my neighborhood. But given that there isn't time to read all the books and watch all the TV in the world I suppose that's as good a way as any to narrow it down.
I don't have HBO either - unfortunately doesn't make sense to add it to the 200 channels I already don't watch - but I do have the internet, so am trying hard not to read the episode synopses for the whole third season...