Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004  (Read 6588 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 08:04:51 am »

The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:37:05 am »

LEAVE MOLLY ALONE!
The sadness and fear in the sixth panel has made me want to cuddle a cartoon cat.
Female, I hasten to add.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 01:23:51 pm »

Hey, I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, I finally had to register because this strip instilled in me the dark need to quote, I think its relevant:

'Liebot, what is the saddest thing?'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 02:13:32 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
LEAVE MOLLY ALONE!
The sadness and fear in the sixth panel has made me want to cuddle a cartoon cat.
Female, I hasten to add.


Maybe  New Ballsy Roast Beef (TM) will help defend Molly as well. I recommend that, as a generic set up for them being back together.
Logged

Emergent_C

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 153
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 02:41:46 pm »

When I worked at Taco Bell as a teenager, I never got a customer this rude. I did, however, get a customer who did some sort of change-scam thing and lightened my cash register of several dollars (and I then had to explain my naivete to a cop).

I was not, however, as old and, er, feline as Molly.
Logged
now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 02:55:46 pm »

Poor Molly.  Wasn't she a hostess at Applebee's before?  What happened?

Working fast food is a bullet I narrowly dodged--I had a job at Wendy's for ONE DAY before I got a call-back for a much better job at the pet store in the mall.  I didn't even go back to pick up my check for the one shift I worked.  I cooked french fries.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 05:48:01 pm »

I think Molly just got tired of Applebee's, probably spurred on by Tina in that regard.

As much as I would like to see Pat shoot this dude, I don't think it will happen, because Pat is the archetypal asshole customer -- the kind of guy who thinks he is entitled to good service and views employees as basically automatons that, if malfunctioning, can only be fixed by yelling and calling the manager to fire them. He'd probably cheer this shitface on for his strength in demanding his Ranchero Sauce in the face of a malfunctioning Employeetron.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 07:02:26 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think Molly just got tired of Applebee's, probably spurred on by Tina in that regard.

As much as I would like to see Pat shoot this dude, I don't think it will happen, because Pat is the archetypal asshole customer -- the kind of guy who thinks he is entitled to good service and views employees as basically automatons that, if malfunctioning, can only be fixed by yelling and calling the manager to fire them. He'd probably cheer this shitface on for his strength in demanding his Ranchero Sauce in the face of a malfunctioning Employeetron.


He'd also demand that  Taco Bell gives free tacos  to everyone for their "outrageous" behavior.
Logged

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2004, 07:18:44 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.


i can't decide whether he's more a kelsey grammar or a stephen fry.
either way, he's my favourite by a mile.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2004, 08:22:56 pm »

i'm talking about the last panel here:

on the other hand, i've never seen a taco bell employee that timid.  i mean, if i didn't get the ranchero sauce i asked for i'd slink back towards the fountain drinks anyway like would normally, afraid that if i turn around the employee will stick a knife between my shoulder-blades.  

i'm saying, i'm afraid to talk to TB employees like that.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2004, 11:28:58 pm »

Man, I get all overprotective of characters that I like. I got seriously freaked out when Nice Pete took Philippe to the super secret ice cream shop. I don't want Molly to go back to heaven! I want her to stay with Beef and get a better job!  :(  I guess that tragedy + distance = comedy.

Then again...without conflict and change, the Achewood story would not be nearly as interesting or funny. I need to toughen up and remind myself that Molly exists only in the Achewood universe, and not mine.

You know... in Heaven, Molly was doing aiight. Here, she is working at shitty foodservice jobs. And although things blew up with her and Beef, they're on the reconciliation path now... so I guess that now would be a pretty good time for her to go back to Heaven. *sniffle*
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2004, 03:13:52 am »

I'm really wishing that this wasn't the strip we were going to be stuck with over the weekend, simply because I can't stand to look at Molly in that predicament, looking sad and scared.

And the alt-text just makes my skin crawl. I've had plenty of supervisors/managers that were just like that... that referred to the screaming, threatening douche of a man yelling obscenities as a "gentleman" and telling me to give him everything he demands.
Logged

sailor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 301
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2004, 04:14:11 am »

i got to talk to assholes like that homeboy everyday at verizon.

"YOU WILL SEND ME A FREE PHONE RIGHT NOW!"
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2004, 10:56:06 pm »

Taco Bell employees will put the HURT on you, man.
I hope new, ballsy Beef beats this dude.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2004, 05:31:11 am »

Quote from: "palm trees"
Quote from: "miles"
The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.


i can't decide whether he's more a kelsey grammar or a stephen fry.
either way, he's my favourite by a mile.


Stephen Fry.  Brilliant!  There's another actor...that I just can't place my finger on...Oh well.  I don't always think of Kelsey Grammer, but this one, particulary that line, really reminded me of him.  Maybe...just maybe, it's Garrison Keillor I'm thinking of.

Anyway, not many of the characters really inspire me to voice their lines in my head as the voices of famous actors.  In fact, the only other time this has happened is when Nice Pete was talking to Pat about killing, and he totally sounded like Christopher Walken.  Oh yeah, and Molly reminds me of some chick on this HP commercial I saw the other day.  The actress didn't have any lines, but just the general type feel I got from her--totally Molly.

Edit:  It's the grandfather on Gilmore Girls.  Edward Herrmann.  I think he's also been on the Practice and/or Law & Order.  That's the other actor.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up