Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Poll

Have I sold out?

Completely, you bastard.
- 2 (20%)
Not at all: you're worth the cash.
- 6 (60%)
Cowboyneal.
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 20, 2004, 04:31:43 am


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have I sold out?  (Read 3158 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Have I sold out?
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:31:43 am »

So I've been gone for a while; sorry, I'm busy now. After being self- then un-employed for four months, with the wife also self-the un-employed for three months, we were ecstatic upon hearing about a new job each on the same day (not two hours apart!). This one here's a consulting gig, making an Arthur-load of money.

Trouble is, I was also in contention for a stable, full-time job loosely associated with the federal government. Its pay was good, but only about half what the consulting gig pays; the issue was stability. I could ride for years on this job, maybe end up heading a small team (my real strength) versus taking a short-term contract, then hoping either it would be renewed or I would find a new contract.

Long story short, if it's not too late for that, I've already got a new video card, fine sweater, and a pair of dress sneakers, plus I'm damned near caught up on all my debts. Did I sell out or effing what?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

V-Adore

  • Guest
Have I sold out?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 05:08:10 am »

Stability is good, but there's also something to be said for taking the money and running, honestly. If you're not going to be wedded to a job emotionally in any event, why worry about your long-term prospects in it?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Have I sold out?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:22:32 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
an Arthur-load of money.


Heh.

I don't understand why you think you've sold out.  OK, so you're getting paid to do whateverthehellitis that you do.  Are you compromising your moral, ethical, artistic, aesthetic or some other such beliefs by taking this job?  I have virtually no information to answer such a question, but it doesn't sound like it.

Sounds to me like you're asking a more pragmatic question of economics (among other things.)  Sounds like you want to know whether you should take the a) high-paying job that may be short-term or b) the stable, secure long-term job that pays less.  I don't see much of a moral component to that decision; therefore I don't think you've "sold out", whatever that means.

I don't know you, the jobs or the rest of your life-situation well enough to even begin to help you make such a decision.  However, advising people is my job.  Here are some random thoughts you may find helpful.

It's not wrong to get paid for doing you job.  Getting paid more doesn't mean what you're doing is wrong.  Poverty does not equal integrity.

We have material needs and wants.  We need financial resources to obtain these needs and wants.  The human condition is such that we will find a way to obtain sufficient financial resources to get what we need and as much of what we want as we can justify to ourselves.  Finding a method to earn money that does not unjustly deprive you or others of life, health, property or sanity is one of our biggest challenges in life.

It sucks to work every day at something you do not like.

Money isn't everything but it sucks to not have any.

Faugh!  Enough hot air from me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Have I sold out?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 03:05:05 pm »

I have been working for the federal government for almost 10 years (4 as a military member, almost 6 as a contractor) and my only advice is, like smoking, the easiest way to quit is not to start.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Have I sold out?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 05:37:48 am »

I'm abstaining from the voting - the last time I did it my country was stolen. However, get while the getting is good. I work for a subcontractor of a planet-raping multinational, but I have really cool shoes.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Have I sold out?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 05:58:37 am »

Your country wasn't stolen - the majority just up and GAVE IT AWAY.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Have I sold out?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:43:09 am »

Don't worry, those of us that took it will be giving it back in a few years. I was pissed for 8 years too. It goes quicker than you think.

Selling out is an odd way to describe it. I would think no differently about you in either work situation if you were happy with your compensation and if you were happy, successful and felt fulfilled in your job. So do what you want and don't assign value to those 8 hours a day or so that is out of proportion with the rest of your life. Because there is definitely more to your life than what you do for someone else in exchange for money.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Have I sold out?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 02:55:07 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So do what you want and don't assign value to those 8 hours a day or so that is out of proportion with the rest of your life. Because there is definitely more to your life than what you do for someone else in exchange for money.


i've heard this often over the years, or sentiment similar.

and i agree, a person is made up of more than their work/professional experiences.

however, i disagree with the notion that work/professional experiences make up a negligible amount of a person.

24 hours a day.  sleep 7 hours (if you are lazy and lucky, i'm sure parents are laughing heartily at my quaint notions of a "good night's sleep"), get ready for work and drive to work.  work for 8 hours, plus an hour for lunch, but an hour that is hinged entirely within the work day.  if you don't work late, 1/2 to finish that stupid conversation with a coworker and get home and etc.

17.5 hours of a 24 hour day is gone.  5 days out of the week.

not counting any overtime.

to me, and maybe/probably only to me, _that's_ what "selling out" is all about:

dedicating a large, a tremendous, a huge amount of my LIFE to something i hate, doing something i hate, for something i hate, so that people i hate can do better, etc, etc, etc.

if you like what you do, and you aren't committing "Evil" (whatever you definition of it might be, but hell, maybe you are evil, so i guess you'd be a sellout if you had to commit "good" at work.  you know what i mean, though, i hope), and you are getting the moneys for the foods, then no you aren't a sellout.

i dunno, i'm rambling.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Have I sold out?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:54:34 pm »

We've all heard someone say that if you do what you love, success will follow.  There's an interesting article about this here.  Basically his argument (and I'm not saying I agree completely with him) is that most people just won't be able to make it if they only do what they love.  

Adult responsibility sucks, but somebodys got to do the work.  Might as well try and make the best of it, I guess.


P.S. Choop, I thought you meant "would it be selling out to work for the Man?"
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Have I sold out?
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 04:29:24 pm »

I always thought it was "Do what you love. Poverty will follow."

I am doing what I love and am about to be homeless again come February.

So Choop - take the money and run!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Have I sold out?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 10:14:45 pm »

Do what you love, and McDonalds/Taco Bell/Arby's will go out of business.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Have I sold out?
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 10:21:59 pm »

Jough, sell everything and move to Hawaii. It's the best place there is to be homeless.

Kev, you're right - I would just clarify that I think a sense of proportionality is important - I don't think one's worklife is negligible either.

A long time back, we had a discussion about Wellness in general - I generally believe in the model that looks at different aspects of a person's wellness. Occupational, Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Social, and Emotional wellness are the areas on which your life's activities generally impact.

I think all these things in balance make for a generally healthy person. Of course, everyone engages in kind of an internal bargaining between these things, and everyone is comfortable with different amounts of each - my dad was way into the Occupational and not so good with the Social, for instance. But each of these areas should be served in some way in order to have a high level of Wellness within the model.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up