Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Poll

Why didn't you tell me it would be this fun?!

I did, you just don't listen.
- 8 (72.7%)
Music is the devil's tool.  Might lead to dancing.
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 20, 2004, 03:18:52 pm


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a Musical Instrument  (Read 3671 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Playing a Musical Instrument
« on: December 20, 2004, 03:18:52 pm »

Yesterday I picked up the bass guitar I bought almost a year ago for essentially the first time and spent three hours learning to play "Movie Star", "Mr. Wrong" and "Pictures of Matchstick Men" with my husband, who has played guitar for about 20 years.  The only reason we quit after 3 hours is because my fingers hurt too bad to continue playing.  I can't wait to play again after work today.

I knew it would be fun, but I didn't know it would be so fun, right away when I still know barely anything.  And I can play three songs!  If the baby will play drums, we'll have a power trio.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 03:49:23 pm »

This should really encourage me to pick up the bass I bought about a year ago, and start practicing again.  Of course, I can't play any songs*, so it's not as satisfying, but I still kinda miss it.

Good luck and rock on, Va!

*Not entirely true…I almost have Violent Femmes “Country Death Song” down pat.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 04:04:09 pm »

I gave up all hopes of becoming a rock star when I sold my bass in a garage sale I had after my girlfriend moved in.  I never played it, and even when I did try I couldn't even cleanly finger the frets.  I think my hands are too small.  

I could probably get back up to speed on brass instruments pretty quickly.  I just need to wait for the revival of 70s-style horn bands, or hope that the guy who plays trumpet for Cake leaves the band.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 04:26:49 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
*Not entirely true…I almost have Violent Femmes “Country Death Song” down pat.


Once you've got Country Death Song down, you're MADE, man!
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 07:47:28 am »

The Banjo is a dang ol' pain in the ass to learn, nothing intuitive about it, a bunch of finger rolls to learn and I can't figure out the up-the-neck chord shapes to save my life, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I may get a ukulele next.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 12:19:52 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I may get a ukulele next.


I went to an extremely, ah, rural elemetary school, and they had us learn ukulele.  It was deeply unpleasant.  However, there weren't enough to go around, so during recess when they were handing them out I'd sneak in and make sure there wasn't one on my desk.  Then I'd just have to like clap along or something.
Sadly, all musical skill eludes me, so I've just compensated by becoming a music geek.  Those who can, do, and so on.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 02:08:18 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I may get a ukulele next.

I went to an extremely, ah, rural elemetary school, and they had us learn ukulele.  It was deeply unpleasant.  However, there weren't enough to go around, so during recess when they were handing them out I'd sneak in and make sure there wasn't one on my desk.  Then I'd just have to like clap along or something.
Sadly, all musical skill eludes me, so I've just compensated by becoming a music geek.  Those who can, do, and so on.

We had to play those in 5th grade. But they had way too many left-handed ones for some reason.

I couldn't even handle the clapping. I have to watch somebody else because I can't keep the beat myself.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:10:35 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Those who can, do, and so on.


Man, that isn't the way to go about it! Those who CAN'T, play LOUDER.

I too am very interested in the uke, as well as the steel guitar. I bought Jon Rauhouses "Steel Guitar Rodeo" the other day, and now I have a sick obsession.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:10:55 pm »

I swear I know 8 or 10 people who are taking up the banjo.  WTF?

I'll stick to the gee-tar, thanks.  Acheheads hootenanny/open mic night!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 02:19:14 am »

I'm sometimes tempted to take up the drums, which I played during elementary school (and, briefly and painfully, middle school) band. That, and a friend of mine is going to be drafting me into the college marching band; apparently there is an exceptionally unpleasant, crusty alumnus playing the cymbals now, and she's desperately looking for someone to replace him, so... hey, least I can do.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 06:20:44 am »

A friend came over who's learning the mandolin, and even though half of his right hand is encased in a cast, he grabbed a bizarre lute/mandolin we had lying around and plucked at it for a while. I got my mandolin out, and I'm pretty sure I might take it back to school with me. Twangy goodness. If I can get it good, we need to start the Achewater Jug Band.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 02:58:13 pm »

I learned "When I Win the Lottery" (CVB) and "You Never Heard About Me" (Frank Black) this weekend.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 05:58:24 am »

We should try to whip up a TOUAMB covers CD. I've got a rockin' acoustic 12-string version of "Skulls" that I'm sitting on top of, and I'd love to hear Va and her husbands version of "When I Win The Lottery" and AlohaDawg's cover of, ummm, some Old Crow Medicine Show song. And maybe if I beg hard enough, Andalucia will play "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" on the Ukelele. JUST MAYBE.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 12:33:28 pm »

plink plink plink

...picture yourself in a boat on the river...



(anything for you, Bozack)
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 04:58:15 pm »

Aww, I'm tearing up over here. You're too good to me.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up