Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

Why didn't you tell me it would be this fun?!

I did, you just don't listen.
- 8 (72.7%)
Music is the devil's tool.  Might lead to dancing.
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 20, 2004, 03:18:52 pm


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a Musical Instrument  (Read 3655 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skillator

  • Guest
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 07:51:44 pm »

It's not that learning an instrument is fun it's that learning some instruments can be fun. I'm pretty good at the trombone, at least I used to be. I won awards and stuff all the time. It became fun over time, but I have to say for a while, starting out I bloody hated. it.
I'm very eager to learn guitar. As soon as I get my finances back up high enough I will treat myself to one. I may instead get a keyboard as I have some previous training that would making teaching myself a lot easier. But with guitar, I can become John Lennon, rather than Elton John with Piano.
Has anyone taught themself guitar? Or does everyone get lessons? I want to teach myself but I've had a really hard time before. I think it's something you need to be shown.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 07:56:39 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"

Has anyone taught themself guitar? Or does everyone get lessons? I want to teach myself but I've had a really hard time before. I think it's something you need to be shown.


I am self taught on guitar, bass, drums and keys.That said, I'm not good enough to play stuff on keyboard. I need it for programming and sequencing, but nowhere near the jazz proficiency I dream of. Guitar's my instrument anyway. I hated it at first. My fingers just wouldn't do what I wanted. And that stays all the way with guitar. There will always be something you are pissed off that your fingers just can't manage yet.
You have to be shown things at the right time with any instrument I feel. Particularly if you are learning yourself. There are things you will massively confused by, or can't do, then you find the right peice of writing about it or bump into the right person and you pick it up.
I think I probably did better learning guitar than ever with piano, which always just... Well, never quite happened.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 11:07:48 pm »

I can barely play piano and trumpet. I'd gladly sing on a TOUAMB disc - but it'd have to be the B-sides extra disc that is only available for a limited time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 01:33:12 am »

Yeah, I'd do one.  Then again, I'm still sleeping on August's "My Love Ain't Free," so maybe I wouldn't.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:50 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Yeah, I'd do one.  Then again, I'm still sleeping on August's "My Love Ain't Free," so maybe I wouldn't.


Holy Crap!  I forgot all about that.  Get it in gear already!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 01:44:00 am »

On topic, I play decent rhythm guitar and pretty pathetic lead.  Or, I used to back when I played regularly.  But it's like riding a bike, right?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Playing a Musical Instrument
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 04:36:29 am »

I'd like to point out here that I was never involved with the exchange, but I'd gladly pick some shit out for you folks to listen to, given the chance.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up