Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004  (Read 5637 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2004, 10:25:03 pm »

How can you not have London Calling already?

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2004, 10:35:47 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
How can you not have London Calling already?

Quote from: "Onstad"
All the Clash albums, which were stolen out of my car a few years back. I am still angry about this. The Clash would have wanted me to be angry, and to have taken action, but I did not take action. I am 1 for 2, The Clash.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 02:11:45 am »

I should say something about how it is silly to like the Cure, but I don't even have the heart.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 02:56:22 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I should say something about how it is silly to like the Cure, but I don't even have the heart.


Thanks for resisting the urge.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2004, 03:26:06 pm »

Seals and Crofts Greatest Hits?

Ahahahahaha!

Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2004, 03:35:40 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?


Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2004, 07:06:28 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Seals and Crofts Greatest Hits?

Ahahahahaha!

Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?


Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Don't try to be some cool dick.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2004, 07:58:03 pm »

In September I had a bunch of CD's stolen from my car, along with two mostly-melted Snickers bars and a genuine surplus Blackwatch kilt.

The theif emptied out my entire CD rack except for two discs.  One is a mix my friend burned for me and it has zero resale value.  I can understand leaving this one behind.

Seeing the other CD he left behind, however, made me LOL.  The theif chose not to steal "It's Not Funny" by David Cross.

It had the digi-pak and everything, the disc is in good condition, it doesn't have any distinguishing marks.  The thief just couldn't be bothered to take it, which I would take as an insult if I were David Cross.
 
The perpetrator had already crossed moral lines by entering my car, pilfering my recorded music and ethnic costume and stealing some delicious chocolate bars from the center armrest console.  It's not like taking the Cross CD would have put him over the top in the eyes of the law, so I can only assume that the thief took what he did because he liked it and he left what he did because he didn't like it.  
 
There isn't much of a market for "Dr. Scott's Best of 2003 Mix," even at the least picky of record stores, so I can see leaving that behind.
 
But a near-mint copy of It's Not Funny?  It makes me think a particular thief was making some kind of statement.
 
"I'll take these two melted Snickers bars and I'll take an odd garment that probably won't fit anyone I know, and I'll even take is ridiculous Andrew WK CD, but I'm not about to lower myself to David Cross' level," I bet he thought as he picked up the CD, read the (admittedly misleading) track listing on the inside cover, and put it back where he found it.
 
Whatever.  At least I still have something to listen to in the car, and having this backstory now makes the CD even funnier.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2004, 08:09:20 pm »

I think David Cross is hilarious and incredibly talented, but after watching "Let America Laugh" and finding out what an infantile dick he really is, I find myself newly reluctant to engange in transactions which will result in some of my money ending up in his pocket.  Yeah, I bought Mr. Show, but I'm renting Arrested Development, dammit.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2004, 08:19:43 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
I think David Cross is hilarious and incredibly talented, but after watching "Let America Laugh" and finding out what an infantile dick he really is, I find myself newly reluctant to engange in transactions which will result in some of my money ending up in his pocket.  Yeah, I bought Mr. Show, but I'm renting Arrested Development, dammit.


I had the same reaction to "Shut Up You fuck*ng Baby".  I just didn't find it all that amusing, it was mostly just David being angry.  (Not that that isn't a legitimate comedy technique, Mr. Hicks just did it better.)  

I still insist on watching Arrested Development every week, though.  It was worth watching this whole season just to see Tobias use his Blue Man Group camouflage to spy on Lindsay.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2004, 08:24:58 pm »

GTA:SA has pretty much ruined David Cross for me, and I loved Mr. Show. Damn you, PS2 . . . Damn you to HELL!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2004, 08:43:36 pm »

I thought Let America Laugh was more painful than it was entertaining but it should be mandatory viewing for any and all aspiring comics because it showed how lousy the life of a stand-up comedian can be.  David Cross is a legitimate talent with a legitimate career and he still had a crummy time on the road.  I think seeing what he had to go through would make a lesser comedian think twice about touring and one less lousy stand-up act on the road would make the world a better place.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up