Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Poll

ACHEBOARD SUX TEH COQ: yes or no?

yes
- 1 (3.7%)
no
- 24 (88.9%)
COWBOYNEAL MOD-ADDED OPTION
- 2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: December 23, 2004, 11:53:00 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: a concerned fan  (Read 5770 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2004, 04:02:36 am »

Yeah, I loved the mane strips, and I've recently gotten a bunch of friends hooked on the 'water, simply from the "Fuck THIS guy!" strip. So far, I'm riding the 'stad train to Hilarityville. Something IS different, I think, but it's not a bad thing. It's just a wee bit different. If anything, I think 'stad is just evolving as a storyteller.
Anyway, yeah. Keep on keepin' on.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
a concerned fan
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 07:35:33 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Any creative artist who's been around a while gets crap like this. I've been getting emails telling me I've "jumped the shark" or "just plain lost it" since about October 2, 2001.


If it's any comfort, people who still say someting has "jumped the shark" have themselves jumped the shark.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 11:15:09 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
If anything, I think 'stad is just evolving as a storyteller.


True that.  Some wanker laid an interesting description on 'wood that has some points.  We're getting the benefits of an experimental process here.


I'll buy that analogy.  Onstad's a reglar Nightlife Mingus-arooni.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 04:03:56 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
If anything, I think 'stad is just evolving as a storyteller.


True that.  Some wanker laid an interesting description on 'wood that has some points.  We're getting the benefits of an experimental process here.


I'll buy that analogy.  Onstad's a reglar Nightlife Mingus-arooni.


Ain't no thing.......

..........
.........
............

..............But a chicken's wiiiiiiiiiiiing.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
a concerned fan
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 07:17:10 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
interesting avatar there, mr. onstad...do you have meconium yet?  if not, soon?  just curious.


THEY GOT MARRIED?!?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
a concerned fan
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 08:25:55 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Limmo"
interesting avatar there, mr. onstad...do you have meconium yet?  if not, soon?  just curious.


THEY GOT MARRIED?!?


That looks so beautiful, imagined as coming out of your avatar's mouth.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2004, 04:51:03 pm »

Curse of the internet this is.
A million AICN talkbacks.
A thousand forums expounding how the A-team never really got "it" back after the boy george episode.
I'm not sure if I dislike the internet or just dislike people.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2004, 05:43:45 pm »

This sort of reaction always confuses me.  I've deeply enjoyed the strip lately, but certainly there have been times where I've found Achewood to take a turn I didn't like.  Still, I never thought, jeeze, I'm gonna write and open letter to Onstad to complain.  This is like writing a letter of complaint to the mail carrier because he didn't quite close the mail box all the way when he delivered your mail one out of five days this week.  Onstad did his job by delivering the strip, and he (or anyone else) is not psychic to the point of knowing the exact formula for pleasing all of the people all of the time.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2004, 07:06:04 pm »

Quote from: "cellardoor"
Curse of the internet this is.
A million AICN talkbacks.
A thousand forums expounding how the A-team never really got "it" back after the boy george episode.
I'm not sure if I dislike the internet or just dislike people.


Well, I agree with the sentiment of this post but I have to accept that in an open forum, as in a free society, everyone has an aopportunity to say/do things.  There are homeless guys cooking pigeons on the public grills in Chicago and lads in ##### with the ass cut out dancing in California, and plenty of people getting plenty of private stuff pierced, and investment bankers with seven digit incomes paying to be diapered and powdered and to make a mess in their #####.  It's a pretty diverse world, with a lot of points of view, and most of us figure everyone else but us is crazier or more misguided than we are. Celebrating diversity is a lot harder than hyper-politically correct people would have you think.
Logged

monkeybutter

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004, 08:03:59 pm »

You're all rubbish! I don't know what the fuck is up with you, I want to psychoanalyse you all, why are you so mean about Achewood? Who do you think cares about your opinions? I'm sad this forum is like this, I was happy when I saw a link to it as I thought it would be people discussing a comic they like, why do you bother with all this hating? Surely you can't have lives that worthless that you have nothing better to do then read a comic you don't like all that and then moan about it on a forum. weirdos!!!!!! i don't even know you but i hate you!!!!
Anyone else who wants a nice Achewood forum speak to me and we shall make one.. weeeeeeeee!!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2004, 08:17:37 pm »

Obviously you have reading comprehension issues.  The vast majority of responses in this thread are highly positive.  Pretty much every post I read disagreed with the OP that Achewood has been in a slump recently.  Read what I wrote, for instance.

Did you read any other threads on the board before making your broad generalization?  Also, what does discussion mean to you?  We all love Achewood here.  But never does every strip  means the same thing to everyone.  I don't love them all equally.  Not every comic is aesthetically equal.  Shakespeare wrote both Cymbeline and Hamlet.  I think one is better than the other.  We're effusive with our praise, but no artist should be exempt from criticism.

Also, it's bad manners to come into someone's house and shit on the floor.  Don't like it here?  Fine, stay the hell away.  It's more than a little rude to introduce yourself by insulting us.  Consider yourself warned.

AW, wearing his moderator hat (it's purple with a feather.)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
a concerned fan
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2004, 08:44:00 pm »

I've read this style of post before. I don't know if it was here or the old place (brrrr). Who put that damn link in the responses to that review?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
a concerned fan
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2004, 08:46:03 pm »



An Acheboard veteran stares in numb terror as August prepares to moderate the hell out of a derailed discussion with Regina Dentata, his trusty pick-axe.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
a concerned fan
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2004, 08:51:23 pm »

How many things are wrong with this picture? Can you count them all?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
a concerned fan
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2004, 11:43:52 pm »

Quote from: "monkeybutter"
You're all rubbish! I don't know what the fuck is up with you, I want to psychoanalyse you all, why are you so mean about Achewood? Who do you think cares about your opinions? I'm sad this forum is like this, I was happy when I saw a link to it as I thought it would be people discussing a comic they like, why do you bother with all this hating? Surely you can't have lives that worthless that you have nothing better to do then read a comic you don't like all that and then moan about it on a forum. weirdos!!!!!! i don't even know you but i hate you!!!!
Anyone else who wants a nice Achewood forum speak to me and we shall make one.. weeeeeeeee!!


Quote from: "the dang old dang achewood homepage"

Get Out of Here
Achewood is not for readers under 18 years of age.
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up