Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004  (Read 3828 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 07:38:58 pm »

Oh, dang! Wodehouse! Perfect for X-mas break reading.
Anyway, another really awesome one. Delish.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2004, 10:00:57 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
He's the type of author anyone who knows how to read would enjoy.


Wodehouse is on my short list of authors I need to check out.  The hardest part is picking the first book.  Any suggestions?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2004, 10:23:30 pm »

It's all good - I think it would be hard to recommend anything in particular. All the Jeeves and Wooster stuff is pretty good. I like the Golf Omnibus. I have "The Most of PG Wodehouse" - a collection - it's a good introduction. Sees it Through and Code of the Woosters are good. It's not like we're talking about Umberto Eco or something, if you know what I mean.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2004, 11:32:04 pm »

A friend of mine who has always had truly excellent advice about books has been telling me for years and years to read Wodehouse and for some reason I just don't.  It's gotten to the point that it's turned into a joke that I'm saving Wodehouse so that I have something to look forward to reading in the nursing home when I'm old.  And she can look forward to saying "I told you so!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2004, 01:56:58 am »

Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2004, 02:23:08 am »

Wodehouse is like the chocolate babies of Englishmen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2004, 03:02:25 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.


I haven't the foggiest idea what that could possibly mean, but I assume it's praise?

Hmm, the friend in question made me read all of LeCarre once, too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2004, 03:38:29 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.


I haven't the foggiest idea what that could possibly mean, but I assume it's praise?

Hmm, the friend in question made me read all of LeCarre once, too.


Hmmm.  I guess I meant that they are both highly accomplished stylists that transcend their genre.

What did you think of LeCarre?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2004, 03:59:40 pm »

It was a long time ago I read him, but this is what I remember thinking of LeCarre: that spying was like the eighth grade, only with worse consequences.   It was all about what clique you were in, who you were loyal to, and who you lied to.  This is probably something only a girl would think.

I don't remember having any particular opinion of him as a writer, oddly. Obviously he was good or I wouldn't have read them all.  It's possible he was the kind of writer who was so good at what he did that I didn't notice the mechanics.  I don't remember him as the kind of writer where you kept stopping to say "MY god, that's a fine sentence."  But there's something to be said for a style that isn't always hitting you over the head as a style, and I wonder if that was it?

Dang, now you've got me thinking I need to go read one again.  Which is the best one?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Chickenhead Mary, Be not Proud - 12/23/2004
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2004, 05:59:12 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I don't remember him as the kind of writer where you kept stopping to say "MY god, that's a fine sentence."  


I find, with both of them, that I kept stopping to say, "MY god, that's a fine analysis of the human condition."  Then, while I was stopped I noticed what fine sentences they'd constructed.  

As to a recommendation for LeCarre works, I guess the standard is the :) triology -- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Honourable Schoolboy; and :)'s People.  One of his later works that I especially enjoyed was Our Game.  I listened to it on tape (unabridged) rather than actually reading it, for whatever that is worth.  Anyhow, I found it highly satisfying on several levels.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up