Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: C'mon '05!  (Read 13625 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« on: December 30, 2004, 04:43:14 pm »

eat it, shitty years

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:33:08 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 05:42:47 pm »

Dude!  This too shall pass.  Hang tough and read some Achewood.  Maybe you should start at the beginning of the archives and read forward.  It'll cheer you up.

Next year will be better.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: C'mon '05!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 05:50:52 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
the final straw hit me on Tuesday morning.  Literally.


Dude, a straw did that to your car?

2003 was my year of the shit hitting the fan, and as I sat with my drugged out, broken armed SO who had just been laid off from his job, looking back on a year where I had to leave a job after being sexually harrassed and was forced to take on a call-centre job to avoid the poor house, I was oh-so-very happy to bid the year adieu.

Better things are on their way Asherdan.  2004?  Let's put this bitch in the ground!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 06:07:39 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Thanks, I am reading this gift and studiously NOT PANICKING.


I have this beautiful leather bound collection of all the hitchhiker's guides, but I've yet to read any of them.  SciFi is definitly not what I read, but those books were so damn popular at the used bookstore I used to work at that I decided to pick up the collection when it came in.  (Sadly they're making a movie of the books, which sounds really disasterous.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
C'mon '05!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 06:16:53 pm »

Well, there was already a BBC TV series about the first two books that were actually pretty good.  But Ford Prefect, who is described as a non-descript Brit, being played by rapper Mos Def?  WTF?

Anyway, 2004 was a bad year for many, although of course it sounds like it was worse for a lot of you than it was for me.  Still, I will be happy to look forward to 2005, which I am dubbing the "Year of Prosperity."

I always name the years before the beginning of the year - and they always have optimistic names.  1999 was the "Year of Living Dangerously."  God DAMN was that a good year.  Mmm-hmmm.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 06:28:44 pm »

I really enjoy this idea jough.  I like the idea of setting an agenda rather than a resolution, that pleases me.  I'll have to think on what my 2005 will be "the year of."

Happy New Year to all!  I'll be drinking wine and watch the needles drop of the x-mas tree.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
C'mon '05!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 06:37:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I always name the years before the beginning of the year - and they always have optimistic names.  1999 was the "Year of Living Dangerously."  God DAMN was that a good year.  Mmm-hmmm.


What name was given to 2004 last year?
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 07:15:17 pm »

Ash, you're doing it right. That's a hell of a list, though, I don't even know what Meniere's is (although I am sitting at an internect connected computer so it seems stupid to ask).

I'm just glad this Christmas, the worst thing that happened was we managed to overdraw the checking account right before payday. Beats getting robbed again. And, this year, I'm glad  that I'm not a rich guy who decided to spend Christmas on the beach in Thailand.

I've been kind of lucky in that the last few years I have experienced economic growth. These past two years have been less so because of living in a remarkably expensive place, but I've been counting blessings and it's good. Even with the bad stuff that happened the last two Christmases, I'm pretty sure I'm still ahead.

The secret to counting blessings, I think, is to use a very liberal definition of blessing. I guess my developing/maturing sense of faith is making it easier to do that...anyhow, here's to 2005 and everything being better for everyone.

Cheers!
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 08:25:13 pm »

Yeah, this year kinda sucked for everyone, I think. But I think that moving on is the best idea.
I think 2005 will be the year of "Low-Level, Managable Substance Abuse," as all of my Christmas money is being used to fund the purchase of a Vaporizor.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 08:49:09 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


The secret to counting blessings, I think, is to use a very liberal definition of blessing.


Hear, hear.

I've decided the secret to New Year's resolutions is, similarly, to have very low expectations.  My main resolution is to remember to start watching "Good Eats" again.

I love the idea of giving the year a title in advance.  I have decided that 2005 will be "The year in which it turns out that Wombat was right."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
C'mon '05!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 08:51:31 pm »

2004 was "The Year of Change and Light" since 2003 was a rather dark year around these parts.

2004 lived up to its name.  I fully expect 2005 to truly be the "Year of Prosperity."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 09:01:39 pm »

2005: The year that

Quote from: "jough"
Ford Prefect, who is described as a non-descript Brit, being played by rapper Mos Def?


turns out not to be true.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
C'mon '05!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 11:01:49 pm »

Mos Def is not playing Ford?

Then who is?

From IMDB:
Credited cast:
Martin Freeman   ....    Arthur Dent
Mos Def   ....    Ford Prefect
Sam Rockwell   ....    Zaphod Beeblebrox
Zooey Deschanel   ....    Tricia McMillan ("Trillian")
Bill Nighy   ....    Slartibartfast

Also, the unofficial movie website says it's official:

http://www.h2g2movie.com/pages/whoswho.html

I like Mos Def as much as the next guy, but I also like RIGHT CASTING.

From H2G2's entry on Ford Prefect:
Quote
Ford is the semi-cousin of Zaphod Beeblebrox. The radio series and BBC mini-series gives us some more information on that, when Zaphod introduces Ford to Trillian as his semi-cousin “who shares three of the same mothers as me.”

He's not conspicuously tall, and his features are “striking but not conspicuously handsome.” His hair is wiry, almost a ginger color, and brushed backwards from the temples. His skin “seemed to be pulled backwards from the nose.” He rarely blinked, and he usually did only when surprised. He always smiled a bit too wide and too much, giving people the impression that he was about to “go for their neck.”


Mos Def?  Mos' Def'nately NOT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
C'mon '05!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 11:52:32 pm »

Well, you said you named the year beforehand, and hoped that/expected that/were happy if the name turned out to accurately represent the year. So I thought that I would give 2005 a name that I hoped would turn out to be accurate. Curse me for trying to be clever.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
C'mon '05!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 12:34:30 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Well, you said you named the year beforehand, and hoped that/expected that/were happy if the name turned out to accurately represent the year. So I thought that I would give 2005 a name that I hoped would turn out to be accurate. Curse me for trying to be clever.

The Year of Oral Sex!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up