Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004  (Read 5347 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« on: December 31, 2004, 05:20:02 pm »

Wow, that is awesome. First trainspotting, now this. It's somehow BEYOND trainspotting.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 05:32:22 pm »

Man, the ink wasn't even dry, Bozack. I thought for sure I'd get this (this is probably the first time I've been within 2 hours of the comic's original posting).

The Beef-impression left in the bedclothes is tremendous! I love Beef accepting his due in the last panel. This, to me, is a perfect example of a one-off. Bizarre concept, excellent realization, and Beef shining like a diamond.

If this is the level we can expect, this will be a happy new year indeed!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 05:41:30 pm »

I don't get it. It's not funny to me.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 06:11:30 pm »

Aaaaand . . . scene.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 06:21:47 pm »

I'm waiting for the "Molly and Beef are sharing a bed again! Yay!" crowd to see this one. Their joy will be immense.
Logged

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 06:25:29 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.

Really? Or are you just being snarky?

Real question, not trying to be a cock.

Anyhow, it took me a moment to take this one in, but once I did I realized the funny, as it were. To be honest, I take pleasure in the characterization of Emeril, Spongebath, and Beef getting enjoyment - even presenting one another with accolades - from applying their deductive reasoning skills and observation abilities to the sundried detritus of their neighbors. Telling the stories of a hundred jar labels while Spongebath rolls on - not quite surreal.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Spongebath and Emeril are among Beef's best peers; their shared enthusiasms and mutual respect convey a friendship that contrasts starkly with Ray and Beef's knuckleheads-of-old relationship. Intriguing.

I also enjoy comics about cartoon cats.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 06:28:35 pm »

Quote from: "Formica"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.

Really? Or are you just being snarky?

Real question, not trying to be a cock.

Anyhow, it took me a moment to take this one in, but once I did I realized the funny, as it were. To be honest, I take pleasure in the characterization of Emeril, Spongebath, and Beef getting enjoyment - even presenting one another with accolades - from applying their deductive reasoning skills and observation abilities to the sundried detritus of their neighbors. Telling the stories of a hundred jar labels while Spongebath rolls on - not quite surreal.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Spongebath and Emeril are among Beef's best peers; their shared enthusiasms and mutual respect convey a friendship that contrasts starkly with Ray and Beef's knuckleheads-of-old relationship. Intriguing.

I also enjoy comics about cartoon cats.


Nah. I understood seperately all the things in the strip, but it didn't elicit a humorous reaction from me. That said, I was sure to qualify it with "it wasn't funny to me." I chalk this up to my limitations more than anything else.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 06:30:28 pm »

Indeed, immense joy all around. Interesting that Beef doesn't usually wear a shirt when he's awake, but he wears a nightshirt.

I once had a fleeting urge to snoop into a neighbor's recycling.  But I decided to stick to what I'm good at and just stalk their dog.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 07:25:40 pm »

I don't get it. This dog-stalking....was the INTERNET involved?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 07:53:32 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.


Quote from: "Somebody"
Don't try to be some cool dick.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 08:05:04 pm »

I don't know if this one is actually funny per se, but it is enjoyable.

I haven't been reading the blogs so I guess I missed that Beef and Molly are back together - I always saw the blogs as a supplement to the strips but now it seems that you would have to be aware of the blogs to get this particular strip.

I think that like anything that's come out of McSweeny's in the past... decade... this one is funny in concept (going through a neighbour's recycling to determine changes in habit and lifestyle) but then not really funny after the conceptual concept.

It reminds me of a McSweeny's that a friend sent me that was just a list of "Cool Nicknames for Jesus" - that had non-witticisms like "The Big J" and such and when I remarked that it wasn't funny they said that the actual nicknames themselves weren't supposed to be funny - what was funny was the general idea of giving nicknames to Jesus.  

I still don't think it's funny, since things that are funny tend to make me laugh and not just annoy me like an itchy waistband to a new pair of swim trunks.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 08:49:27 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I don't get it. This dog-stalking....was the INTERNET involved?


No, it doesn't have to be. Not if the dog lives right in the neighborhood.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 12:17:40 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Aaaaand . . . scene.


The strip is a good strip, but not what I'd call a funny one.

The post by Nabu, though, is a monument to perfect phrasing and timing in the immensely difficult genre of message board humor.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 12:46:04 am »

I think that's the first one I've gotten right.

Thanks, Dawg.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 01:59:24 am »

I don't think it was ever stated in the bogs per se that Molly and Beef were back together, but it's easy to infer from this strip and Molly's Christmas post. Hooray for them!

(BTW -- it's good to be back. So much to catch up on...)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up