Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak  (Read 8150 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« on: January 02, 2005, 06:30:08 am »

I bought World of Warcraft today, because everyone kept telling me how good it is and it actually works on Macs. Does anyone else here play any of the various orc-simulators? Is there anything I should know? Can someone please free me from this shame?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:42:06 am »

I'm totally slaved to City of Heroes, which is less a beating-up-orcs sim than it is a beating-up-drug-dealers sim. Really, same difference.

My advice? Be fairly strict about setting yourself amounts of game time, and schedule it such that you can't go over. Stay off the beach.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 01:59:11 pm »

That would be a no, no, and no.




Orc-simulation?  For serious, dude??
Logged
goose means greedy

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 03:15:48 pm »

Yeah, I got nothing. I've always been curious, but that's the same thing I said before I tried CRACK.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 03:43:40 pm »

Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 05:51:02 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 06:10:44 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.

I don't know shit about shit. What is the advantage to playing online if you are going to just play by yourself? Is it that you can still interact with others here and there, but don't have to depend on them and work together with them for goodly portions of time?

Dammit, the more I talk about this, the more likely it is that I will do this. You know this, don't you?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 07:00:36 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.

I don't know shit about shit. What is the advantage to playing online if you are going to just play by yourself? Is it that you can still interact with others here and there, but don't have to depend on them and work together with them for goodly portions of time?

Dammit, the more I talk about this, the more likely it is that I will do this. You know this, don't you?

Yes. Yes I do.

Anyway, you've pretty much got it right; the advantage is that I can do things with other players -- trade, get pick-up groups, whatever -- if I feel like it, but I'm not being forced to do it by the nature of the game. This is especially handy given that I and my friends tend to have very different playing schedules, so if I pop online and find that nobody else I know is on, I can continue playing as normal without the whole "woe is me, I must sit in a corner and sob because I am alone, oh so alone" schtick.

Also, you get to encounter people who, given their free choice in a remarkably diverse superhero creation system, choose to make their superheroic alter ego "A MASTER NINJA WHOS SKILLED AT RAPPING" or named "Urinal-Mint" or whatever.

That said, if this game was offline I'd still play it. I see the online aspects as icing, basically; if they sold a CoH single-person game, that too would probably be excellent.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 07:41:24 pm »

I suspect I'd have marital problems if I had that in my house.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 08:00:29 pm »

Yeah, apparently the best thing about World of Warcraft versus, say, Everquest, is you never need to group to do anything, but you still can (obviously) play with your friends.
So far, I am a level 3 Undead Warlock. I have a mohawk, an exposed spine, and my name is Abner Cadaver. I think I am SO DAMN CUTE.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 08:42:00 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I suspect I'd have marital problems if I had that in my house.

Penny Arcade covered this two days ago, actually.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 04:34:23 pm »

You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 05:33:37 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.

Except you'd get home from work ready to whip some monster ass and she'd be on the machine all like, "just let me finish this dungeon" and you'd never get to play.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 06:29:14 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.

Except you'd get home from work ready to whip some monster ass and she'd be on the machine all like, "just let me finish this dungeon" and you'd never get to play.


Well, she has school and work when I get home, and I'd have two weeks of pure, unadulterated square-eyeballin'.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 04:47:16 pm »

I picked up WoW after having played the beta a bit, but it hasn't clicked with me past level 10 on any character yet. I think maybe I'm just not having the patience and time for it. I played one of the older MMO's a lot, and thought about City of Heroes but never got around to that.
I may yet try and get into WoW some more. In the meantime, I just have more important things to try and pretend I'm doing...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up