Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer reading  (Read 18804 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Summer reading
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2003, 10:32:06 pm »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Seriously, I go through about a book a week when I've got a busy schedule, and about three or four a week when I don't.


Yea, I do tend to read at about that pace. Unfortunately I'm kind of busy at the moment and having had as much chance to read as I'd like. Hence it's been nice mainly going through non-fiction stuff.
Plus I've just been commissioned to do the music for a film (*dances and whoops*) so I'm going to be even more run off my feet.
But still, I'm probably going to find me a couple of days when I can do nothing but read, since I have a few books I really want to get through. Means avoiding re-reading anything for a while, but that can be accomplished later.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Summer reading
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2003, 12:49:02 am »

I started reading Dan Brown's books - I read Deception Point, Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code. All are quite good. I really enjoy the premises of Angels and Demons and Da Vinci code, though. For some reason intrigue and the Church and all the Medieval History stuff gets me so much more than modern things, science and modern american politics and all that. It seems more...plausible, if that makes any sense. I guess it's the same reason why Horror movies about undead slashers make me laugh, but ones like THE OMEN get to me on a very, very basic level. 'Cause that shit could happen, you know.

I've also inspired to read some James Joyce due to another thread on this board...so we'll see.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Summer reading
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2003, 01:13:58 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I started reading Dan Brown's books - I read Deception Point, Angels and Demons and Da Vinci Code. All are quite good. I really enjoy the premises of Angels and Demons and Da Vinci code, though. For some reason intrigue and the Church and all the Medieval History stuff gets me so much more than modern things, science and modern american politics and all that. It seems more...plausible, if that makes any sense. I guess it's the same reason why Horror movies about undead slashers make me laugh, but ones like THE OMEN get to me on a very, very basic level. 'Cause that shit could happen, you know.

I've also inspired to read some James Joyce due to another thread on this board...so we'll see.


I ready Da Vinci and A&D but Deception Point didn't seem to interest me too much. Of course I know more than one person whose dad turned out to work at No Such Agency
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
HST
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2003, 01:30:15 am »

After plenty of Hunter, I think the only thing of his worth the time is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It’s a masterpiece.

As for Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions and Cat’s Cradle are by far my favorites. I agree with his world view 100%. I was lucky enough to hear him speak in Austin in 1989.
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: HST
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2003, 01:58:52 am »

Quote from: "satchel"

As for Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions and Cat’s Cradle are by far my favorites. I agree with his world view 100%. I was lucky enough to hear him speak in Austin in 1989.


I've been meaning to re-read Breakfast of Champions for a while now. I'm going to have to get round to it at some point. Long time since I read it!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Summer reading
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2003, 02:22:55 am »

I always re-read Vonnegut when I've run out of new material. He's like a holding pattern
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Summer reading
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2003, 02:24:43 am »

I'm in grad school, so my reading list consists of case studies on cold-war diplomacy.  Which is scintillating to me, but I'm sure the rest of you would be bored to tears.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Summer reading
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2003, 02:33:27 am »

Breakfast of Champions is one of my fave Kurt Vonnegut books.  I think the illustrations put it right up there.
Logged
goose means greedy

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Summer reading
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2003, 05:26:59 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I'm in grad school, so my reading list consists of case studies on cold-war diplomacy.  Which is scintillating to me, but I'm sure the rest of you would be bored to tears.


I still have my Constitutional Interpretation textbook from my Poli Sci majorin' days....ya want scintillating? I got your scintillation.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Summer reading
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2003, 05:38:56 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Breakfast of Champions is one of my fave Kurt Vonnegut books.  I think the illustrations put it right up there.


I've never read it, but I really liked Slaughterhouse Five.  

This summer I read Berryman's "77 Dream Songs" again.  Good stuff.  You can read them all on the main Plagiarist.com site, if you're feeling up to it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up