Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: August 14th Variety Hour  (Read 8251 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 06:12:50 pm »

I'm reserving judgment on this week's Variety Hour until I can actually try any of the recipes. Given as I'm not big on either elaborate heavy drinks or ribs, this may very well be a while. Still, if either of these recipes are any good, well, that's more value for our time than the Whipping Zoo.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 07:22:53 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Um, sorry, but not really. I expect humor from Achewood, not girlie drinks and run of the mill barbeque recipes.

This suggests that you should either adjust your expectations to match what is occurring in the real world, or just stop being a cock.


Well, that's precisely what I've done.  I no longer expect to find much (if any) entertainment at Achewood on Thursdays.  If that makes me a cock, so be it.

Insulting people who express opinions different from yours, why that makes you a real peach of a person.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 07:34:38 pm »

I'm with everyone who is confused, hurt or feeling neglected because of the lack of clear expectations on what this 'variety hour' is supposed to be. No help from the submissions, either - nothing really ties them together except that they are posted under a sign that says "Achewood Variety Hour". I'm not necessarily complaining because, so far, Onstad and Ray seem to have similar ideas in the kitchen to me and although I own a bottle of Sriracha, I've only used it when making Thai food. So thanks for that idea, O.

I don't yet "LIKE" the "Variety 3 Minutes Which May or May Not Have Anything To Do with Achewood" but I don't hate it yet either. Although the whipping zoo and euphemisms for sex were vomitous, since I don't create something for public consumption every day, I'm hardly ina position to bitch about it....

...Or call anyone names in public because I disagree with them, for that matter (Shame! SHAME!)

I go bye bye now.
Logged

satchel

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 108
    • View Profile
fun
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 08:24:15 pm »

Eating is pleasure, cooking is work. I understand food obession, everyone eats. Onstad’s thing isn’t food, it’s recipes and cooking.

(I wanted to bitch about the cooking thing for a long time. Now that we have an independent message board, I finally can without fear of censorship.)
Logged
[size=10]Remember when Buffy's mom grounded her, sighing that the world wasn't going to end if Buffy didn't go out with her friends that night? But the world really was going to end![/size]

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 08:36:43 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Insulting people who express opinions different from yours, why that makes you a real peach of a person.

You are not smart.

Your opinion being different (i.e. negative) is not what makes you an asshole.  The fact that you choose to express it at all, however, does make you a dickfuck.  If you feel that you have the right to express your useless, negative opinion of someone's work out loud instead of keeping it to yourself, then that makes my right to express my own negative opinion of your sorry-ass personality equally valid.
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 08:46:18 pm »

:D Wow, what an asshole! :D

See this related thread:

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=163

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 08:54:04 pm »

Then what the fuck is this message board for?  To be a bunch of pollyanna fanboys?  I have a negative opinion, I intend to express it.  

Onstad has posted his work on the web for public viewing.  He is offering it as entertainment.  As such, it becomes subject to review.  When I find Onstad's work wonderful (as is usually the case) I'm free with the praise.  When it sucks, I share that opinion.  I am not the only person on this board to express a negative opinion.

Fine, I'm an asshole because I don't like this piece of work that Onstad has posted.  I have not attacked Onstad personally, insulted him, or called him names.  I have not attacked or insulted anyone else on the board in this manner.  Can you say the same?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Schabe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22
    • View Profile
    • http://www.automatictaxistop.com/schabe
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2003, 08:54:12 pm »

Huh!  Sucks to have people bitching about how much you suck all the time, don't it?
Logged
"Wish I was as cool as Calvin / This sort of thing wouldn't bother me" - TMJ

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 09:47:16 pm »

Is it too much to ask for people to not get personal? Or should I expect to be flamed for believing this forum to be about Achewood and not about the people talking about Achewood? I'll head off all the morons who want to talk about <me> instead of about <Achewood>:

Fill in the blanks in your head and show a little self control.

I'm a ******.

I eat *****.

I look like a ****** ******** with a bad case of *******.

I think the morons are a bunch of ****** ******** with fulminant cases of anal ******.

Now talk about Achewood already, you mooks.

Geez.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 09:48:50 pm »

Also a tip:

You are not lileky to meet these people. Taking whatever they type at you <personally> is a waste of your energy. Show some zen stones and rise above it.

Here endeth the reaming.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Makin' Spicy Ribs this Weekend
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2003, 05:42:28 am »

After that dreadful Whipping Zoo (Shudder) story, I would have been happy if this weeks VH didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes.  So I was more than a little relieved and quite plesantly surprised to see those two great recipes.  If I weren't a recovering alchoholic (16 years sober, halejujah) I would so make that wonderful concoction.  The ribs on the other hand, damn that sounds like a tasty recipe.  I'll be cooking that shit up this weekend, guaranteed.  I'll let you know next week how it turns out.

As for whether we should keep it strictly about Achewood or allow some personal discussion here, well my confession above clearly indicates which side of this debate I fall on.

And as for whether it's proper to offer negative criticism of Achewood, well the answer to that is obvious.  We're not a bunch of mindless sychophants here (well a few are) and if something stinks we are more than obliged to speak our mind about it.

Go on, eat some ribs this weekend.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
August 14th Variety Hour
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2003, 02:03:11 pm »

Dammit can't we all just get along  

Negative opinions are allowed, positive opinions are allowed, the Achewood fora are for Achewood discussion only, personal attacks on other posters are not appropriate.  

How many times do I have to say this
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up