Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Poll

Off the cuff opinion:

That's nuts.
- 3 (18.8%)
Who don't eat meat? It's chili, for Christ's sakes.
- 5 (31.3%)
I'm not like the others. I like the same things you do.
- 4 (25%)
Someone keeps talking about Cowboy Neal.
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: January 06, 2005, 07:55:38 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili  (Read 12163 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:55:38 pm »

Sautee in soup pot till tender:

1 cup finely chopped onions
2 cups fc celery
2 cups fc green pepper
4 cloves fc garlic

Add and bring to boil

2 1-lb cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
2 1-lb cans kidney beans, rinsed/drained
1 10-oz can Ro-tel diced tomatoes/green chilies
1 cup water
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
2 large potatoes coarsely shredded
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs parsley flakes
1-1/2 Tsp oregano
1-1/2 Tsp basil
1 Tsp cumin
1 Tsp allspice
Bay leaf
salt

Cover and simmer 1 hour. Toss bay leaves. Do the cheese/jalapeno/sour cream thing, as well as cornbread, depending on what types of things you are into. Work it.

We avoid the fattening stuff when possible, so we ate ours with lo-fat sour cream and lo-fat mozz cheese (which is the only cheese we use). It was tasty.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:07:54 pm »

I am sorry, I love Nabu, but I hate beans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:11:22 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I am sorry, I love Nabu, but I hate beans.


But, but... they're good for your heart!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:13:44 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I am sorry, I love Nabu, but I hate beans.

Word. Beans suck. Kidney, black, pinto, jelly, green, soup, refried: all terrible. They're just little pellets of suck hidden in my burrito.

Garbanzo beans get a pass for being covert peas.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 08:25:13 pm »

In my heart, beenz will always be The Web's Currency.

2 1-lb cans kidney beans = ten billion beenz
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 08:33:17 pm »

I managed to develop a psychosomatic food aversion to beans of all sorts quite young; I blame Girl Scout camp, personally. Forced consumption ("you have to eat one bite of EVERYTHING") has a great way of producing hell of bad consequences and convincing your body that there is something toxic about kidney beans.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 08:45:48 pm »

that recipe is chock-full of food items that do not offend me, yet if i were to make it i would probably add "beef".

please note that i voted "for meat" in the poll, _not_ "against vegetarians".

ps i like beans ok thanks bye.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:47:24 pm »

To my mind, beans in chili are always optional. It's like a topping on pizza.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 08:59:22 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
To my mind, beans in chili are always optional. It's like a topping on pizza.

I'd like to agree with you, I really would. But I think society has, as a whole, said, "Cort, fuck you. Chili will always have beans thus you can never order it out. Except maybe, maybe, as part of a 'chili dog' but we're not promising anything. Also, we're now putting cilantro on everything. And banging your mom."

Society sucks.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 09:02:11 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
(S)ociety said, "Cort, fuck you . . . we're now . . . banging your mom."

Society sucks.


That's about the understatement of this young year.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:02:40 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
But I think society has, as a whole, said, "Cort, fuck you. Chili will always have beans thus you can never order it out.


I like beans, and always put them in my chili, but I know many competitive chili cookers who swear that a soup with beans in it cannot be called Chili.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 09:11:47 pm »

I make better chili than ALL OF YOU.  And I will give away the secret.

It's all about the chili powder.  Go get some of this stuff, and McCormick's will be revealed for the fuck*ng sawdust bullshit that it is.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 09:11:52 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But I think society has, as a whole, said, "Cort, fuck you. Chili will always have beans thus you can never order it out.

I like beans, and always put them in my chili, but I know many competitive chili cookers who swear that a soup with beans in it cannot be called Chili.

True, it is a regional thing to an extent much like barbeque. In the areas I've lived:

Chili: kidney beans, ground beef, and tomato-based broth +optional onions, chili powerder, &c

Barbeque: anything with BBQ sauce on it regardless of cooking method (some restaurants will add the word "pit" to indicate actual slow cooking)

Hot dogs: tube of meat product, onion, and ground beef-based sauce not dissimilar to chili but without beans +optional toppings like mustard, relish, &c
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 09:12:27 pm »

I recently overcame my childhood aversion to beans, though I still only really like black beans.  I made chili last weekend, which included both black beans and pork.  I had always sort of thought that the inclusion of beans and tomatoes were the defining characteristic of chili, but it turns out that it's, well, chiles (duh) and very low quality meat.

Historically, chili was a way of making extremely non-choice cuts of meat palatable.  Well, that's the gospel according to Alton, anyway.  There's a fun story in IJHFTF where Alton creates a pot of chili in less than 3 hours with less than $8 in ingredients.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 09:19:19 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
There's a fun story in IJHFTF where Alton creates a pot of chili in less than 3 hours with less than $8 in ingredients.


I think I do that every time I cook chili.  About $4 for a couple pounds of meat, $2 for a couple cans of tomatoes, $1 for a can of beans or two, A beer, an onion and spices make up the other dollar.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up