Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Poll

Off the cuff opinion:

That's nuts.
- 3 (18.8%)
Who don't eat meat? It's chili, for Christ's sakes.
- 5 (31.3%)
I'm not like the others. I like the same things you do.
- 4 (25%)
Someone keeps talking about Cowboy Neal.
- 4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: January 06, 2005, 07:55:38 pm


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili  (Read 12201 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005, 06:24:22 am »

Okay, so this is a chili with tomatoes and stuff but with potatoes instead of meat.  

Before you said you were just eating a potato and carrot chili, and I was of the impression that other than spices those were the only two ingredients.  My first thought: kinda dry for a chili, no?

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 06:46:03 am »

I was planning on taking a day trip to the Creationist museum sometime soon, and I freakin' love Skyline. Who wants to go, right now?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2005, 04:11:10 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If anyone does try this, I'd appreciate further comments. Also. if you try it and it makes you think of things that I might like, let me know.


We'll be making this this weekend, and will post our thoughts.  I'll also post the recipe for the hell of good vegetarian chili my girlfriend made a few weeks ago when I get home.  (If I remember to.)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2005, 04:57:48 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If anyone does try this, I'd appreciate further comments. Also. if you try it and it makes you think of things that I might like, let me know.


We'll be making this this weekend, and will post our thoughts.  I'll also post the recipe for the hell of good vegetarian chili my girlfriend made a few weeks ago when I get home.  (If I remember to.)


Would it help you remember if I posted about it here over and over, constantly berating you about it, until you wanted nothing to do with your kitchen as a consequence?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »

OK, I made this this weekend.
I omitted the celery, to which I am mortally opposed, but the rest of it was nigh on lifechanging.  A half recipe of it still equals lunches for most of the week.  And damn fine lunches at that.  Many thanks.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2005, 06:04:53 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
OK, I made this this weekend.
I omitted the celery, to which I am mortally opposed, but the rest of it was nigh on lifechanging.  A half recipe of it still equals lunches for most of the week.  And damn fine lunches at that.  Many thanks.

I'm no AB, but I've always heard that despite near-universal aversion to celery it can never be omitted from soups. Supposedly the reason the little celery bits are so bland it that they give their all to add some body to the broth. But the internet has been known to lie to me in the past.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2005, 06:17:55 pm »

This is true, and in fact the only time I emply celery is when I'm making vegetable stock, in which it is an absolute requirement.  However, in this (chili) situation, there is no occasion for the necessary celery removal.
Logged
goose means greedy

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2005, 06:22:49 pm »

1)  I too hate celery, but only in its limp cooked form

2)  I have a vegan cookbook that warns me that preparing dried beans the wrong way can kill/poison me... is this true?  I don't like canned beans they taste, can-y.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2005, 06:32:53 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
OK, I made this this weekend.
I omitted the celery, to which I am mortally opposed, but the rest of it was nigh on lifechanging.  A half recipe of it still equals lunches for most of the week.  And damn fine lunches at that.  Many thanks.


Now who's crazy, huh?

Bless you, andalucia. May I call you 'luci?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 04:31:33 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
2)  I have a vegan cookbook that warns me that preparing dried beans the wrong way can kill/poison me... is this true?


My wife calls bullshit on this. They can be difficult to digest and cause gas (surprise). The better they are soaked and more thoroughly they are cooked, the less gas/discomfort they cause. Other than that, no biggie. She provided that information from the idiot's guide to legumes that she used to give out at WIC when she worked there. But she points out that she only uses canned beans because the other way is a pain in the ass and she's too lazy to deal with them the night before.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 06:50:16 am »

Quote from: "side_show"
1)  I too hate celery, but only in its limp cooked form

2)  I have a vegan cookbook that warns me that preparing dried beans the wrong way can kill/poison me... is this true?  I don't like canned beans they taste, can-y.


I have never had a problem with dried beans of all kinds, and I have never heard they can kill you. Unless you are one who could die from a gas attack. I would suggest beano for you, or avoidance altogether. Was there a particularly deadly bean you were warned about or all beans?

Ricin, one of the worlds deadliest toxins, comes from castor beans but that's all I can think of. I don't think anyone normally eats castor beans.

I just soak dried beans of any kind overnight in water (3-4 parts water to beans) and the next day, in they go to whatever I'm making. Some folks but a little soda in with the beans but that's bad for the beans, as far as I know, and destroys the nutritive value because it raises the alkalinity of the water.

We will be getting the bone from the Christmas ham out soon and making our awesome ham and bean soup with great northern beans. Yummy.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 02:49:54 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

We will be getting the bone from the Christmas ham out soon and making our awesome ham and bean soup with great northern beans. Yummy.


I did this before Christmas because I had a hambone.  Around here we use white beans or navy beans.  Then I took the soup into work which made me a popular fellow.

My take on dried beans versus canned beans is that dried beans aren't really more work, they just require a little more forethought.  Pouring them in a bowl and running water over them isn't a herculean labor.  You just have to remember to do it the night before, which, given my absent-minded nature, admittedly isn't always easy.

I love beans.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 03:06:52 pm »

I'd never dealt with dried beans until this year.  My SO and I made Hoppin' John from dried black-eyed peas, and it was well worth the effort.  Now I've got a bag of black beans that are waiting to go into soup sometime soon.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
We will be getting the bone...out soon


This took a while to parse.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2005, 11:00:53 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
My take on dried beans versus canned beans is that dried beans aren't really more work, they just require a little more forethought.  Pouring them in a bowl and running water over them isn't a herculean labor.


I bow to no one when it comes to laziness. I will admit that my wife just meant that a person has to actually do something the night before, but still, opening a can is easier than soaking dried beans.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
My wife's crazy awesome veggie chili
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2005, 11:39:24 pm »

Poking the Internet until it tells me things turns up that while there is nothing specifically problematic about dried beans, raw beans can be toxic whether dried or fresh. Cooking destroys the toxins, and most canned beans are precooked to whatever degree, so those of us who don't get our beans fresh are most at risk from dried beans. Cook your dried beans before you eat them, says the Internet.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up