Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Three Days...  (Read 2344 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:52:59 am »

...Fresh giraffe and houseguests both start to stink.

Ben Franklin was supposed to have said that.  After having both houseguests and giraffe around for more than three days I can assure you that there's a certain amount of truth in that hoary aphorism.

Based on things around here lately, I'd add a third item to that list -- running jokes.  To restate, "After three days, fresh giraffe, house guests and running jokes all start to stink."

It's a theory.  I don't know how worthy it is.

Since we have an eminent poster (who is reckoned by acclimation on this board,  "The Funniest Guy in America") perhaps he would share his learned opinion on my humble theory.  So, what about it Chris?  Is a running joke funny after three days or not?  

Rest assured your finding will be dispositive.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
After Three Days...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:11:03 am »

I think there's a certain amount of merit -- although I would argue that houseguests and running jokes can regain their luster by sufficient periods of non-presence, while a fresh giraffe, once it has begun to stink, is basically never going to stop.

But maybe I'm thinking too hard?
Logged

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 02:24:26 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
while a fresh giraffe, once it has begun to stink, is basically never going to stop.


It will when it turns into a hell of fossilized skeleton.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
After Three Days...
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:01:40 pm »

Man, have you ever smelled a coelacanth? I would not put money on even the petrified bones not smelling hell of decrepit.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
After Three Days...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 06:35:39 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, have you ever smelled a coelacanth?


Well, who hasn't, really?

or

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:45:15 pm »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, have you ever smelled a coelacanth?


If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that . . .


...I would have hell of 0 nickels.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

Mantonio

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 423
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 01:59:38 am »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, have you ever smelled a coelacanth?


If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that . . .


...I would have hell of 0 nickels.


However, you have read that. I guess that's worth about a penny, so you would have hell of such as 1 penny.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 02:01:58 am »

Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, have you ever smelled a coelacanth?


If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that . . .


...I would have hell of 0 nickels.


However, you have read that. I guess that's worth about a penny, so you would have hell of such as 1 penny.


or hell of such as 0.2 nickels.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
After Three Days...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:09 pm »

Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"

...I would have hell of 0 nickels.


...so you would have hell of such as 1 penny.


or hell of such as 0.2 nickels.


I wish I could take the English language away from both of you.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 09:33:02 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"

...I would have hell of 0 nickels.


...so you would have hell of such as 1 penny.


or hell of such as 0.2 nickels.


I wish I could take the English language away from both of you.


Zart, here's a trophy.  I'm buying you a pizza.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
After Three Days...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »

August, you have a Kansas reference in your title (sort of) and an America reference in the title of this thread. I'm worried about you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
After Three Days...
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 01:49:43 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
August, you have a Kansas reference in your title (sort of) and an America reference in the title of this thread. I'm worried about you.
Hey, I'm a 70's guy at heart.  I can't help it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up