I'll stick this here, since it's kind of about me, not it.
A while back I got back in touch with an old friend. She was complaining about all the scripts she was seeing as possibles for her graduation film at uni, and since we'd worked together on projects in the past I thought I'd throw something together.
So I wrote this short subverted fairytale screenplay. After months of hell with her tutor who wanted to turn it into cliched student film that's ever been made, we managed to get a production number, and she's shooting the original script (well, draft 3, but it's the one the lecturers we respect agree is best, and the one we wanted to shoot all along).
Everyone involved seems to be really into it, which is nice, considering some of the other films that are being shot this year.
I've seen some of the test work that the camera guy has put together (experiments with filters and locations), and I am glad he's shooting it already. We've picked out locations, although there are now some problems with one of the ones we liked best (the grounds of a castle not far away). Shooting is imminent now, and I am working on the soundtrack, trying to Elfman myself up and come up with some themes. All being well it should be premiered at The Playhouse in Newcastle in a few months.
I didn't even have to go to uni and I'm having something made! That said if I'd gone to Uni I could have directed it too, but then I always promised to write something for my friend to shoot. I'm just pretty stoked.