Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Francis  (Read 2727 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Black Francis
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:21:50 am »

OK, the only stuff I've listened to of his is with the Pixies. I'd like people, in this thread, to post single songs/albums that they think are the greatest realizeation of his talents sans Pixies. Wondertwins power activate and whatever the hell. Go ahead.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Black Francis
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:42:16 pm »

Album = Dog in the Sand
Song = Llano del Rio
Logged
goose means greedy

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Black Francis
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:37:21 pm »

i liked the album that has "perry the wind" or wahtever it was called.
good song.
good songs.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Black Francis
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 03:20:44 pm »

I was never a huge Frank Black fan, but I thought it was time to give him another chance, so I just picked up Teenager of the Year, mostly because it was cheap, has "Headache" on it (always liked that one), and was right in front of me at a moment when I was buying CD's (why yes, I do let the fates determine what I buy through what they place in the used CD bins.  Why do you ask?).

Also, "Nadine" from one of the albums with the Catholics (forget which) is quite nice.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Black Francis
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:56:15 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Album = Dog in the Sand
Song = Llano del Rio


Thank you. Thank you for TAKING MINE.

I just like all of "Dog in the Sand." Check out "Stupid Me" and "If It Takes All Night", all from that album.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Black Francis
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:29:28 pm »

I like Teenager of the  Year and the first Catholics album.  A few good songs each on the first album and The Cult of Ray.  I'm especially fond of Lyle Workman's lead guitar.   Lost interest when I heard Pistolero.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Black Francis
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 03:56:13 pm »

I :heart: Frank Black (with or without The Catholics) to an extent that is almost unseemly for a married lady.  I am eminently qualified to hook you up.  Album titles are in alphabetical order.

Cult of Ray
Men In Black

Devil's Workshop
His Kingly Cave
Whiskey In Your Shoes

Dog In the Sand
St. Francis Dam Disaster
Bullet

Frank Black
I Heard Ramona Sing
Perry The Wind, High, Low

Frank Black and the Catholics
Solid Gold
The Man Who Was Too Loud

Oddballs
Pray A Little Faster
Man of Steel

Pistolero
Western Star
Eighty Five Weeks

Show Me Your Tears
Jaina Blues

Teenager of the Year
Calistan
Headache
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Black Francis
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 08:17:27 pm »

So I'm just to buy them all, is that it?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Black Francis
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 08:40:38 pm »

You could get an account on eMusic and download them all for about $20.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Black Francis
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 08:50:23 pm »

I'm not down with the whole putting music on my computer right now. I do it at work, but not at home as I don't have the ubiquitous ipod or anything. I'd like to get one, but that's all on hold at this point.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Black Francis
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 09:03:17 pm »

I just realized I was lying, because Cult of Ray and Teenager of the Year are not up on eMusic.

You really can't go wrong with his self-titled album, Frank Black.  If you're going to buy two, get Pistolero.  If you're going to buy three, get Dog In the Sand.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Black Francis
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 09:05:16 pm »

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1]   Go Up