Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread  (Read 11028 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2005, 05:22:27 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
My aunt dated Jim Varney (Ernest) when she was 13. I'm not sure how well known he is, but, umm, yeah, this guy:


Oh yeah?  I have a cousin who dated Hunter S. Thompson in the 60's.

Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 05:25:28 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.

I can respect Jim Varney if only because he apparently managed to make a good living making Earnest movies, which seems like no mean feat. I know basically nothing about his life, but I hope it was a fulfilling career.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2005, 05:32:57 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.

I can respect Jim Varney if only because he apparently managed to make a good living making Earnest movies, which seems like no mean feat. I know basically nothing about his life, but I hope it was a fulfilling career.

If Jim Varney is a little better looking, he's Jim Carrey.

Geez, I'm not trying to beatify the guy or anything.  He just deserves a li'l respect.  Sure he made up a goofy character.  But he made up a funnygoofy character.  No question, he's as lowbrow as it gets.  But he was a gifted comedian and there is unquestionably humor (OK, stupid humor) in his work.  The fact that we all know his name should indicate something.  Know what I mean Vern?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 06:09:04 am »

Hahaha, I joke about Jim Varney, but I love the guy. KY WHAT WHAT.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 06:36:52 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bozack"
My aunt dated Jim Varney (Ernest) when she was 13. I'm not sure how well known he is, but, umm, yeah, this guy:


Oh yeah?  I have a cousin who dated Hunter S. Thompson in the 60's.

Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.


My aunt went on a date with Kevin Bacon.  Before Footloose, though.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2005, 06:49:52 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.

I can respect Jim Varney if only because he apparently managed to make a good living making Earnest movies, which seems like no mean feat. I know basically nothing about his life, but I hope it was a fulfilling career.

If Jim Varney is a little better looking, he's Jim Carrey.

Geez, I'm not trying to beatify the guy or anything.  He just deserves a li'l respect.  Sure he made up a goofy character.  But he made up a funnygoofy character.  No question, he's as lowbrow as it gets.  But he was a gifted comedian and there is unquestionably humor (OK, stupid humor) in his work.  The fact that we all know his name should indicate something.  Know what I mean Vern?


Except that teeny tiny detail of the fact that he's been dead for several years. Pretty funny guy, though.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2005, 02:29:40 pm »

Oy vey, you hardly have to be 'extremely conservative' to disagree with Chomsky's politics.

A short answer to what I have against him is difficult, but here's an attempt:  I felt that the cult of personality around him was very bad for the field of linguistics.  And I found there was a hypocritical disconnect between his political beliefs and his status in linguistics - he's all 'question authority' in politics, but anyone who questions his views in linguistics (despite the fact that he himself says opposite things at different points) is an idiot.

I could rant, but I'll stop there.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2005, 06:04:10 pm »

God, wombat, that is seriously the best reason I've ever heard. I'm not even being a dick. The day that I am grown up enough to say, "I felt that the cult of personality around him was very bad for the field of linguistics.", will be the happiest day of my life. I always knew he was originally a linguistics person, and wondered if he really was as hot-shit as the documentaries made him out to be. Thank god we have a resident linguistics disestablishmentarian.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2005, 07:08:58 pm »

My cousin dated Vern for awhile.  He proposed to her and everything but then jilted her at the alter.

Bastard.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2005, 10:05:01 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I always knew he was originally a linguistics person, and wondered if he really was as hot-shit as the documentaries made him out to be. Thank god we have a resident linguistics disestablishmentarian.


I have never really spent all that much time reading or paying attention to Chomsky, for some reason, but I know that my folks (psychologist and philospher in respect to these kinds of topics) weren't big fans of Chomsky when it came to linguistics. But like I say, Chomsky and linguistics isn't something I've ever got round to reading up on. I probably will do now, since I'm intrigued.

Also, Vern?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2005, 08:51:10 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bozack"
My aunt dated Jim Varney (Ernest) when she was 13. I'm not sure how well known he is, but, umm, yeah, this guy:


Also, don't diss Jim Varney.  He's a native Kentuckian (LEX) who made reasonably good.  Kinda like Ed McLanahan.


Also a Shakespearean actor at 16, apparently. And Daddy and Them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2005, 09:28:47 pm »

Sundance is coming, so there is always the possibility I will bump into more of our intellectual and physical superiors.  Last year, I saw Melvin Van Peebles, Mario's father, and director/star/etc of Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song, which screened because Mario's Baadasssss!, a documentary about it, played.  It was only at a Q & A session though, so I didn't meet him.  Also, I saw much of the crew and cast of MVP, a movie starring Wood Harris (of the Wire, he also played Hendrix in a TV movie--no, he wasn't there) which hasn't been picked up apparently.  I thought it was pretty good.

I also saw Robin Tunney at a bar in Park City during a Sigur Ros show.  I didn't talk to her.  I'm not one to approach a famous type person unless I actually have something to say.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2005, 10:32:34 pm »

Hey Bozack, how old was Jim Varney when your aunt dated him? 27?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2005, 11:15:19 pm »

Nah, they were both like 13. Younguns, man. They went bowling.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2005, 11:40:39 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Nah, they were both like 13. Younguns, man. They went bowling.


Thanks. My wife was like "who the hell is Jim Varney", and after I showed her the picture and mentioned the dating thing, she was concerned that it might have been untoward. Not because of the KY thing, I don't think.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up