Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread  (Read 11044 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2005, 01:40:04 am »

i've been strenously thinking (not sure if that's any different than normal thinking for me...), trying to remember any famous people i've been in the proximity of.

i just remembered, though, i poured US Surgeon General C. Everett Koop coffee.  i was catering class reunions one summer.

i met Patrick Volkerding one summer.  not sure if he remembers, since i don't really remember much myself.  met many minor fringe celebrities there.  pretty boring if you aren't in that circle, i guess.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2005, 01:52:53 am »

Only Bozack will know who this is, but I sat behind Gatewood Galbraith at a Dead show once.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2005, 02:26:57 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Only Bozack will know who this is, but I sat behind Gatewood Galbraith at a Dead show once.


Well, who is Gatewood Galbraith?  (I'm half Galbraith).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2005, 02:38:08 am »

He's a Lexington attorney and perennial gubenatorial candidate who runs on a legalize marijuana platform.  His website is here.  He was passing around hog legs at this show like nobody's business.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2005, 05:37:40 am »

Haha, yeah, that guy is awesome/potentially dangerous.

Quote from: "that website"
Arm yourself with the mental brass knuckles of liberty.


WTF? Who wrote this website, the Tick?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2005, 06:46:13 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Haha, yeah, that guy is awesome/potentially dangerous.

Quote from: "that website"
Arm yourself with the mental brass knuckles of liberty.


WTF? Who wrote this website, the Tick?


Well shit, at least someone's crusading for liberty and human dignity.  And anyone who runs on a marijuana legalization platform is OK by me.  I'm one social libertarian who admits the desire to smoke pot with impunity is the primary inspiration for my politcal views.

Plus, Willie Nelson likes him.  Any friend of Willie's a friend of mine.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2005, 06:54:47 am »

Hey, don't look now, but someone named old kentucky shark just registered...could it be...

Mr. Galbraith?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2005, 06:58:59 am »

Not even a little bit!

Okay maybe a little bit
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2005, 02:15:14 pm »

Quote from: "miles"

Well shit, at least someone's crusading for liberty and human dignity.  And anyone who runs on a marijuana legalization platform is OK by me.  I'm one social libertarian who admits the desire to smoke pot with impunity is the primary inspiration for my politcal views.

Plus, Willie Nelson likes him.  Any friend of Willie's a friend of mine.


I vote for him whenever he runs.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2005, 03:45:50 pm »

I've had brushes with many, many celebrities in my day.  A few impressions:

Jim Carrey - indirect brush with fame, but my best friend during high school was his cousin, so she had lots of family photos with him in them.  He was quite cute as a little kid - she even had photos of him making funny faces.

J Lo - at the height of Benniferdom, was rehearsing in the dance studio across the street from where I worked.  I saw her most mornings wearing a velvet track suit with no make-up on and ratty hair, looking very tired

Keifer Sutherland - during his post Julia Roberts, pre-"24" days when he was "washed up." At a patio bar - he was totally wasted, his (now ex) wife sat angrily at the end of the table, his two little boys asleep under the table.  Then I saw him again the next day, (it was Canada Day in fact and he was giving a little speech at the unveiling of this chime clock) clearly hung over.

Sam Neil - my closest actual "brush" with a famous person, I was biking to work down a street they were filming on.  Since there were so many trailers in the street I had to use the side walk.  As I whizzed along he stepped out of his trailer directly in to my path then leapt out of the way.  Him:  "Hey!"  Me:  "Sorry!"  Later at work I'm thinking, "hey I almost ran over the guy from 'The Piano.'"

Keanu Reeves - played, and no I'm not kidding, "Hamlet" at the Mantioba Theatre Centre.  He was nice enough to stop and chat with my bestfriend, who had a broken leg at the time.  The play was, needless to say, fairly embarrasing.  The newspaper wrote a somewhat mean-spirited article about it, referring to my friend as "gushing."

The President and First Lady of Portugal - I worked at an art gallery, and they had a private tour of the facility.  Several secret service men.  I remember shaking the president and his wife's hands and thinking, there are probably people in the world who would love the privilege of meeting these people, or maybe their totally hated, who knows, but this has no real significance to me, and I wish I didn't have to be here.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2005, 07:28:56 pm »

Well. Met Alan Rickman and Janeane Garofolo on set in London, as my ex's father and aunt went to school with him and have been friends since.
I've met a few auhors but none who anyone will know of, although Robert Kroetsch maybe...
I'm sure there may be someone else. Oh, ended up sat next to Paul McGann on a train.

My grandmother worked with various people though - Olivier, Hopkins (he's a dick apparently) and more in her theatre days.
And her husband was taught piano by... I'll get back to you on that one. But I hope to inherit their piano, which was the last wooden framed Grand, built for Isadora Duncan.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2005, 05:56:44 pm »

All the Chomsky-talk on the this thread has inspired me to share a joke.

Q: How do you get Noam Chomsky to shut up?

A: Ask him a question about linguistics.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2005, 07:20:56 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
All the Chomsky-talk on the this thread has inspired me to share a joke.

Q: How do you get Noam Chomsky to shut up?

A: Ask him a question about linguistics.


Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2005, 08:33:49 pm »

I work in broadcasting so I get to meet (and greet!) some reasonably famous people just as a side-effect of my job.

In college I worked for Fox Sports and I got to meet athletes (MLB players, mostly) and announcers.  Joe Buck is pretty cool.  Tim McCarver called me Luke for two straight summers because I had Luke Perry-style sideburns.  (My name is not Luke.)  Jim Thome was the nicest player I met - he traded us a couple of autographed bats in exchange for one of the big vinyl Fox banners we hung on the stadium rails.

Now I'm in radio and I get to meet musicians plus the occasional comedian, author, actor etc. who come in for interviews.  People I've met here include Tenacious D, Kevin Pollack, Cake, Harland Williams, Jerry Springer, Gomez, Pete Yorn, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Camper Van Beethoven, They Might Be Giants, Travis, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Violent Femmes.

Non-work-related brushes with fame:  Once I saw Biff Henderson outside the Ed Sullivan Theater.  He posed for a picture with my friend.  I saw Paul Molitor walking with his wife and child down a pier in Seattle but I chose to respect his privacy.  I met Dave Eggers and Stephen Elliott from McSweeney's at a voter-registration drive last fall....
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Another thought-provoking or perhaps pointless thread
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2005, 08:51:34 pm »

Friday be damned - Fuck You, Turbo!

That's cool. But no one ever meets football players? My sister-in-law met Jim Plunkett.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up