Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: check this out...  (Read 7255 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
check this out...
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:06:59 am »

http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=149

Then check out the root of the site.

And I quote one of their reviewers:  "Achewood fails on every level that a furry wecomic can fail - no nudity or even titillation, too many male characters with no hints of yaoi interest, and no color at all! I don't know what kind of furry Mr. Onstar is but I reccommend he "get thee to an Anthrocon" immediately and then maybe his comic would be worth reading a little more closely."

I'm not entirely sure what this all means, but I have a strange feeling that it's hilarious.  Sure is strange.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:21:46 am »

The review you cite is fairly obviously a joke (it appears to be authored by K. Thor Jensen, so there you go), but the three "real" reviews are almost hilariously spot-on in their Achewood newbie mistakes. Someone is confused about what species Ray is! Someone does not know Philippe is an alive stuffed animal. Hot damn, Ponce de Leon came back from the grave!
Logged

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:38:57 am »

This K. Thor Jensen?

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03252003
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12312003

Excellent of him to shank these guys for Achewood.  Heh.  The "Word up"/"Kinky Aberlour" strip he references as disliking is one of my all time favorites.
Logged

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:44:43 am »

It's obvious the very negative reviews are coming from people who would much prefer to see a fox put his c*ck into a dog's butt.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:02:34 am »

Upon further observation:

These people just dislike everything, often in inventively bizarre ways:
OMG DIESEL SWEETIES IS JOKE-A-DAY; THIS MEANS I MUST CONDESCEND TO IT, BECAUSE JOKE-A-DAY STRIPS JUST FAIL AT EVERYTHING AND ARE NEVER ANY GOOD
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
check this out...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 04:45:51 pm »

They haven't slammed WIGU yet, though I'm sure they would. Thank my diety that no one has suggested PBF.

I looked up a few other comics that I read (rarely), and they all got slammed, so I looked up our own Steve Hogan's Acid Keg. The few people who wrote enjoyed it.

Note: I only read Achewood and PBF on a regular basis. I used to read WIGU and DS and all sorts of other ones, but it just got too much to keep up with, and be a member of society and the human race as well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 06:17:31 pm »

This one is my favorite:    

Quote from: "Did someone from here right this?"

I DON'T GET IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD LAUGH

WE DEMAND "LOLS" AND EMBEDDED .WAVS OF RIMSHOTS


It has sort of a St. Zartan feel to it, but it also has the economy and wit of Arkabee.

So who wrote this?
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 06:20:50 pm »

It's not that these reviews offend me because they don't get something I like. It's that the minds that come up with them are so severely fucked.

Why does it matter if they are real animals or dogs or cats? It's a fuck*ng comic strip. You're not here to disect a novel you're here to read a piece of humour.
You don't like Nice Pete, or Pat? Well that's because you're not supposed to. They're supposed to make you feel uncomfortable like so many creepy-ass people in real life.
If you're not willing to try and get it. Leave it the fuck alone.

Grrr.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 06:45:17 pm »

OK, so I finally went to the root. And my curiousity overcame me so I checked out the 'flirting' thread.

MY GOD

Who are these people? What the hell?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 06:58:13 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
It's not that these reviews offend me because they don't get something I like. It's that the minds that come up with them are so severely fucked.

Why does it matter if they are real animals or dogs or cats? It's a fuck*ng comic strip. You're not here to disect a novel you're here to read a piece of humour.
You don't like Nice Pete, or Pat? Well that's because you're not supposed to. They're supposed to make you feel uncomfortable like so many creepy-ass people in real life.
If you're not willing to try and get it. Leave it the fuck alone.

Grrr.

Yeah, that's what really got to me about this. It's like they are somehow personally offended by the idea that a comic need not always be about in-depth story arcs or realistic art. (The irony of the matter, of course, is that they both slam Achewood's laugh-a-day comics for being too simple and slam the actual plot arcs because they don't understand them. What the shit?)

Then again, at least they didn't claim to be actively smarter than the comic, which they do a lot with things like DS.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 07:26:20 pm »

Check out what they had to say about The Parking Lot is Full.  Whatta bunch of mooks.

These guys seem to think that "Not getting it" is something to be proud of.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 07:30:52 pm »

I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 08:20:32 pm »

This fuck you friday goes out to the furry freaks who feel it necessary to grade a comic strip.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
check this out...
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 08:41:40 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.


Yeah, I was surprised Cobra didn't like Achewood, he usually is fairly adventurous.

I was also surpised that they liked Dinosaur Comics.  (Maybe there's hope?)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
check this out...
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 08:45:46 pm »

Upon reflection, it's not surprising that they were disappointed with Achewood. It must have shown such promise, with the alive stuffed animals and all. And then nothing but day after day of bitter frustration.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up