Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: check this out...  (Read 7231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 09:00:32 pm »

Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.


Yeah, I was surprised Cobra didn't like Achewood, he usually is fairly adventurous.

I was also surpised that they liked Dinosaur Comics.  (Maybe there's hope?)

They liked Acid Keg a lot.  As well they should.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
check this out...
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 09:21:23 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
They liked Acid Keg a lot.  As well they should.


Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I looked up a few other comics that I read (rarely), and they all got slammed, so I looked up our own Steve Hogan's Acid Keg. The few people who wrote enjoyed it.


* cough, cough *
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
check this out...
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 09:42:01 pm »

Only two people reviewed it.  If I drew big tits on Froot ##### Lion, THEN you'd see some action.

EDIT: That should say P-a-n-t-s up there.  Did R. Stevens set the controls on this board too?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 09:51:19 pm »

Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Only two people reviewed it.  If I drew big tits on Froot ****** Lion, THEN you'd see some action.

EDIT: That should say P-a-n-t-s up there.  Did R. Stevens set the controls on this board too?

That's just our way of remembering where we came from.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
check this out...
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 10:02:37 pm »

Now you owe each other a coke, a pepsi and a ****.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
check this out...
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 03:22:56 am »

I must admit to not reading any other web comic anymore.

I was reading Scary-Go-Round for awhile, but fell behind and then caught up only to find that he changed the artwork to make it somehow uglier and then I kinda lost interest.

I was reading Acid Keg until it started being a continuing story with a plot and stuff.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd never keep up.

I do read Zeldman.com and The New York Times kinda regularly, although there are no funny pictures there.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2005, 03:37:28 am »

I don't read any others on a daily basis, but I do go and catch up every once in awhile on a few.  I like You Darn Kid a lot, also Cat and Girl.  The Perry Bible Fellowship is great.  But I don't feel compelled to read them everyday the way I do w/Achewood.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
check this out...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2005, 03:53:13 am »

Yeah, I only read achewood on a consistent basis.
I have been reading Questionable Content again after accidently dropping it in October
plus I read a couple non-regular comics.. one that's MWF (FH) and another that is on break right now.

I used to read around 40, but that was too hardcore to keep up with obviously.  I do figure I may purchase more megatokyo books though since I found it was easier to read the strip in manga format.

---

As for that furry stuff... ahah.  reminds me of this one community on lj I read where this furry came in ganging up on another for not letting the guy have his stuffed Barney fantasy.. ew.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2005, 05:17:04 am »

I read Achewood, Scary Go Round, Wigu, Goats, Diesel Sweeties, Sam and Fuzzy, Something Positive, Acid Keg, Perry Bible Fellowship, Penny Arcade, PvP, Shaw Island, Butternut Squash, Cat and Girl and Real Life Comics. I'm not 100% in love with all of them, and Achewood's probably the only one I read daily. The rest I might miss a few days and then catch up.

It's quickly becoming clear that, out of all of us, I am the one who spends the most time glued to the internet.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2005, 05:23:28 am »

I read Achewood, Diesel Sweeties, Goats, Penny Arcade, and Narbonic daily or semi-daily, with Narbonic and Achewood being the only ones of those that I couldn't live without.  (PA is getting close; I got onto that particular boat a little late, but I do enjoy it.) There are a few others that I read sporadically -- Slow Wave and Cat and Girl come to mind. There are a few in strange liminal states; I need to start reading Acid Keg, and Wigu has, of course, recently stopped being an active part of my life.

Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2005, 05:27:57 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.


Honey.  I don't read Something Positive and never have, so I have no idea aesthetically why it repels you.  However, I must ask -- Why are you apologizing for not liking it?  You are entitled to your taste and opinion.  You needn't apologize for it.  Like (and dislike) what you will.  We'll still love you hereabouts.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2005, 05:38:17 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.


Honey.  I don't read Something Positive and never have, so I have no idea aesthetically why it repels you.  However, I must ask -- Why are you apologizing for not liking it?  You are entitled to your taste and opinion.  You needn't apologize for it.  Like (and dislike) what you will.  We'll still love you hereabouts.

Thanks. I'm sorry, but I get really defensive about SP; it seems to have become the comic that everyone I know except me reads and adores beyond all others, and I can't stand it. Just cannot stand it. After a while, you figure it's you and not them, you know?
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2005, 06:07:08 am »

The thing is, I don't like it either. The way the main character is always without fault and constantly gives flawless advice and is essentially Sarcastic Jesus, the way all of the characters are really one-dimensional, etc. I just read it because it updates daily, and my brain needs a constant media feed. I should stop reading it and start reading Narbotic.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
check this out...
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2005, 06:37:06 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Check out what they had to say about The Parking Lot is Full.  Whatta bunch of mooks.


i got the the first sentence, and then i punched my monitor.

what did it say?  what?
"on the humor front, it's not funny."

WHATTHEFUCKHELLSHITPEOPLE?

AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
This one is my favorite:    

Quote from: "Did someone from here right this?"

I DON'T GET IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD LAUGH

WE DEMAND "LOLS" AND EMBEDDED .WAVS OF RIMSHOTS


It has sort of a St. Zartan feel to it, but it also has the economy and wit of Arkabee.

So who wrote this?


biting back peals of laughter at the thought of wit or economy, it was most definitely not me because the post would have looked alot more like:

"AAGHGGGGGGGHHHHHH."
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
check this out...
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 05:31:40 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
The thing is, I don't like it either. The way the main character is always without fault and constantly gives flawless advice and is essentially Sarcastic Jesus, the way all of the characters are really one-dimensional, etc. I just read it because it updates daily, and my brain needs a constant media feed. I should stop reading it and start reading Narbotic.

Narbonic updates daily and is much happier in general, yes. That said, I get your reasoning; I read DS mostly because it's not taxing and I can rely on a laugh a day, even if it's a kind of strange, "huh" sort of laugh.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up