Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.  (Read 3670 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 10:28:40 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
And I know I'm alone in this, but I've hated everything Radiohead's done since OK Computer.  Except for "Everything In Its Right Place."


Nope, I'm with ya on this and I was slightly obsessed with radiohead around '98-99.. I knew about them before, but that's when I just had to HAVE IT ALL.

When Kid A came out, I tried so hard to like it like everyone else I spoke to and even wrote up a review that made it sound like I enjoyed it, but quite honestly... it didn't live up to what I heard on this Rarities bootleg that had some of the songs from the album on it.  they just worked better acoustically than with all that hoopla... especially 'Motion Picture Soundtrack'.. I was a bit appalled by what they did with that.

Anyway, I did like Hail To The Thief a bit better (I heard a beautiful version of 'I Will' - Los Angeles Demo), but let's just say I don't get as excited about them in general.  I think I reasoned that their non-album material is always better.. bsides / live stuff / alternate versions of songs (not just to be cool, but it is!).
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 03:13:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
The only band that used to be good and now is awful that I can think of off the top of my head is Counting Crows.


I was listening to "august and everything after" over the weekend, and wondering "man, what happened to the Counting Crows."  And today, reading this, I remember:  "Accidentally In Love" - so cheesy.

For me I'd say music from two different fazes of my life, who each had that one disc that made me decide that their slow slide downhill had come to a point where I could no longer buy their music: 1) Pearl Jam with "Yield" and Ani Difranco with "Revelling." I don't think I ever managed to listen to either of these all the way through in one sitting - just too bad, too sad, too terrible.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 06:26:11 pm »

Pearl Jam lost me with Vitalogy.  A couple of good songs, but otherwise blech.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 11:39:50 pm »

I really like Pearl Jam, but when Yield came out I thought "well, these guys totally suck ass now". Then I listened to it again maybe a year later, and I thought that it wasn't so bad. I listen to all the studio albums now and then, and I don't think they're that bad - not like some of the other stuff mentioned. Then again, they were never really the second coming.

As far as the Dead go, they aren't a studio band, so it's hard to say, I like their stuff until after Shakedown Street maybe.

Since the first post said "any artist", how about Robert DeNiro? So good, and then so absolutely wretched. Easily compares to the Stones in this regard. Remember that one movie he was in? I think it was called Steaming Dogshit in a Flaming Paper Bag. See also Analyze This, Analyze That, Frankenstein, Flawless, or We're No Angels. Not all his fault, but all mediocre or worse, in my estimation.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2005, 05:13:15 am »

Quote from: "miles"

Now what's this that everyone has against Electioneering?  First time I heard about it was on one of Pitchfork's year end lists.  It's not their best, but I've never felt the urge to edit it out.


people don't like Electioneering?
why?
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 05:17:20 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"

people don't like Electioneering?
why?


I have a soft spot for it actually, as the first film I ever shot was put to Electioneering, after trying it to a track from my friend's album. Electioneering (with a repeated section) fit so perfectly, timed to certain events and so forth...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
A whole nother thread, hopefully very interesting.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 05:20:59 am »

Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Since the first post said "any artist", how about Robert DeNiro? So good, and then so absolutely wretched. Easily compares to the Stones in this regard. Remember that one movie he was in? I think it was called Steaming Dogshit in a Flaming Paper Bag. See also Analyze This, Analyze That, Frankenstein, Flawless, or We're No Angels. Not all his fault, but all mediocre or worse, in my estimation.


The tough thing about actors, though, is that sometimes it's the part written for them.  You can act your ass off but if the part sucks, it's not gonna be enjoyable to watch. I haven't seen any of those movies, though, so I can't judge.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up