Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed  (Read 10328 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 01:03:36 pm »

First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, and I couldn't agree with Chris more. Poor quality, unoriginal garbage, for the most part (with some exceptions). What you don't see is that not only do they have a piss poor "talent" pool, but they have the business sense of a drunk baby elephant with downsyndrome.  

Please don't let this unfortunate affiliation influence your opinion of me. I am only a boy, asking for a girl to love him.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 01:38:03 pm »

I thought it was a jab at the Enterthedream webcomic review club.  (Mostly cuz of the manga cat.)
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 02:25:19 pm »

Quote from: "southworth813"
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, and I couldn't agree with Chris more.


Show us your strip.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 02:33:17 pm »

Quote from: "zarawesome"
The girl with the ponytail is definitely Lesnick's work. The kid with the weird glasses is from Anti-Hero for Hire, from the maker of Adventurers.

That being said, I think the comic is rather harsh. Like you said, it mocks webcomics in general. I read it and I hear, 'all webcomics suck except Achewood'. Telling that to a public that probably reads a -lot- of webcomics might raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks.

Er... why? It's possible, but... why?

You also say that in a tone like Onstad is somehow betraying his fanbase -- when he's been open for some time (at least since the Dumbrella move, probably longer) about his distaste for most of the webcomic community and the predilections thereof. Furthermore, he's taking a few broad shots to which he seems to be wholly entitled. Anyone who would be grievously offended by this just needs to go back to Marmaduke.

Quote from: "southworth813"
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, (...)
Please don't let this unfortunate affiliation influence your opinion of me. I am only a boy, asking for a girl to love him.

You are allowed. Out of curiosity, do you actually draw a strip for them, or are you just a long-time watcher of their activities?
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 02:39:59 pm »

Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I thought it was a jab at the Enterthedream webcomic review club.  (Mostly cuz of the manga cat.)


Same here, actually.

I really liked this strip; it was a clean, efficient skewering.

NUMBER OF LIVEJOURNAL USERS LISTING "CYNICISM" AND "COFFEE" AS INTERESTS: FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND

I actually hope that this "raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks". If you think these Keenspotkateers are tiresome and insipid now, just wait until they get all self-righteous. I've been lurking in the PoE forums long enough to know Entertainment Value when I read it.
Logged

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 02:49:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
You are allowed. Out of curiosity, do you actually draw a strip for them, or are you just a long-time watcher of their activities?


I draw (drew, actually) a strip called "Krazy Larry" for Keenspot for the last five years or so. I just recently quit to start up another strip with them, called "Ugly Hill", which we are attempting to get into newspapers. I have long disagreed with Keenspot's policy of basically letting anyone join who has above x-amount of pageviews. It just breeds bad comics, as is evident by Keenspot's abundant overflow of HORRIBLY HORRIBLE COMICS.

Also, off-topic, it is a testament to Achewood's quality that I am still reading, as I ordered a t-shirt about two years ago and still have not received it. I just can't stay mad.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

zarawesome

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 02:55:09 pm »

Aha. The cat in the jacket is from 'Better Days', which is not in Keenspot or even Keenspace. It -is- the favorite comic of one of the EnterTheDream people that gave Achewood a bad review, however (which is how I found it).
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 02:59:06 pm »

"Geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks"

Hit points and double sided lightsabers?
Logged

Karva

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 03:53:12 pm »

girly is actually a really good webcomic.

Better Days is horrible though.
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 06:00:55 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Old Kentucky Shark? Of Old Kentucky Nightmare Talk Show Liquor Corporation?


A hundred percent of yes! A veritable smorgasbord of mm-hmm!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 06:23:45 pm »

Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.

sensate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • View Profile
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 07:50:23 pm »

Krazy Larry rocked, btw. Nice to see you here, Paul. Please tell me your new comic is deranged and misanthropic.

Oh, and the 'cynical dyke,' not Faye from Questionable Content?
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 08:02:12 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.


I seem to recall him calling bullshit on the occasional storyline.
Logged

southworth813

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 55
    • View Profile
    • http://www.uglyhill.com
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 08:12:35 pm »

Quote from: "sensate"
Krazy Larry rocked, btw. Nice to see you here, Paul. Please tell me your new comic is deranged and misanthropic.


Well gosh, thanks. The new comic is being published in newspapers, so I had to reign it in a little. But I hope people will like it anyway, as I'm working very hard on it. As soon as it becomes available online, I'll let people know on the KL website.

Back to Achewood: I like the way the "other webcomic" characters don't move (or hardly move) at all through the entire panel progression. It really re-enforces the idea that they have no depth, especially that douchebag with his mouth hanging agape in a perpetual pseudo-japanese battlecry.
Logged
You, Lynrd Skynrd hat. Me, little kitty...

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 08:28:29 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.


That's the feeling I got for sure. Part of what I dug about it the most.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up