Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Poll

what type of motor vehicle is your preference?

big
- 7 (35%)
small
- 13 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 20, 2005, 04:56:28 am


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: cars. because we need more polls.  (Read 5841 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« on: January 20, 2005, 04:56:28 am »

demographics interest me.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:05:44 am »

I can't get used to driving small cars, and so consequently haven't much.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:51:52 pm »

Big cars are too hard to park and I spend enough on gas as it is.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:30:53 pm »

In general, I'm all about the fuel economy since I still have some vestiges of my dirty hippy leanings.  I drive a camry.  However, now being a homeowner, I've needed a larger vehicle with which to haul stuff more often than I used to.  My girlfriend is in the process of shopping for a car, so we're thinking about compromising on something fuel efficient, yet large enough for some hauling.  

She's thinking about the Saturn SUV (whatever that one is called) or station wagon, the Honda Element, or maybe one of those Subaru wagon-type cars.  I think the one she's thinking about is the Outback.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 03:04:40 pm »

We used to have a Honda Civic which we liked very much.  Then we decided to get a pick-up truck* so we got a Ford F150 and now any time I ride in a compact car or even a standard-sized sedan I feel like my bottom is scooting along the road.

We have an extra-cab model and we installed the infant car seat in the back this weekend.  It's nice because even though the baby is in the "backseat", facing the rear, the "backseat" is so small that she'll still be right there.

* After you have lived in Alabama for a certain amount of time, you are required by law to own a pick-up truck.  They send death squads around.  Really.+

+ I made that up.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:07:14 pm »

Except for my first, all my vehicles have been small.  When I first got a license, I drove my dad’s '78 Chevy pickup, which was a beast.  But since then I've had a Subaru (2-door DL coupe), a Nissan (2-door Sentra), and until recently a small Isuzu pickup.  I finally broke down and bought a car with 4 doors, but it's still small (another Subaru).

The big old farm trucks out here are gonna flatten me one of these days.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 05:46:17 pm »

I'm actually pretty comfortable in both, simply because I learned to drive in a tiny Volvo and in a massive Chevy Conversion van. But for me, right now, all I want is an El Camino.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 05:52:05 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
We used to have a Honda Civic which we liked very much.  Then we decided to get a pick-up truck* so we got a Ford F150 and now any time I ride in a compact car or even a standard-sized sedan I feel like my bottom is scooting along the road.

We have an extra-cab model and we installed the infant car seat in the back this weekend.  It's nice because even though the baby is in the "backseat", facing the rear, the "backseat" is so small that she'll still be right there.

* After you have lived in Alabama for a certain amount of time, you are required by law to own a pick-up truck.  They send death squads around.  Really.+

+ I made that up.

You should ride in my Celica. It's got the ultra low seats that slope backwards so that your ass is maybe 8" from the road.

And don't you mean pickum-up truck?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 05:52:56 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I'm actually pretty comfortable in both, simply because I learned to drive in a tiny Volvo and in a massive Chevy Conversion van. But for me, right now, all I want is an El Camino.


Me too.  I like El Caminos.  I don't know why, but I just do.  I own a Civic and am quite pleased with it.  I don't like driving trucks, but don't mind driving minivans (the first vehicle I operated).  Overall, I prefer small-ish cars.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 05:54:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And don't you mean pickum-up truck?


Yes.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 05:54:24 pm »

i've looked at some things about the Element.  i was not impressed by it's proposed/supposed gas mileage.  i was expecting better than mid-20's, given what Honda can do with an engine.  i get mid 20s with a poorly taken care of B18C1 in town traffic, but i get mid to high 30s on interstates.  i will readily concede that the Element is heavier than my car, but my engine has/should have a much more aggressive fuel consumption graph than the Element should (past 5 1/2k rpm's it basically opens up a direct alaskan pipeline to the fuel rail.).

if they were going to do something "cool" with the Element, like, say, put the k20a's from the rsx-r's or whatnot in there, ok, i'll take mid 20s.
honda, you know, and i know, and you know that i know, that you can do better.

my car:
anecdote:
i am currently driving a rental car, a Ford Focus.  my car is in the shop for insurance-paid body work.  Driving this Focus, makes me feel like i am on top of the world, because it is so damn high.  it is like i am riding on the back of an elephant.
apparently, my car is very low.


is there a pickup that exists that get's higher than mid20's in gas, either local or long distance?  not counting the Brat or the new subaru.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 05:59:14 pm »

I always thought the Elements were ass-ugly. Not quite Aztec ugly but still unattractive. The Scions are a little better.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 06:30:19 pm »

but what about mid-sized!

I've only ever had two cars, both two-doors, but not nessisarly small....
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 07:39:41 pm »

Yeah, don't sleep on us mid-sizers.  I'm driving a Dodge Intrepid, which is just sexy as all get-out.  Especially with the slight shark-fin on top of the doors, which I manage to impale my ribs on with depressing regularity.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
cars. because we need more polls.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 08:20:35 pm »

Nnn kay, listing cars are we?

'72 Ford Torino (blue) -- still miss this car
'73 VW Superbeetle (orange) -- no floor
'70 VW Beetle Convertible (red) -- no floor or roof.  Also see
'88 Chevy Nova (silver) -- wife bought new shortly before we got married
'80 Datsun (yes, Datsun -- they weren't Nissan yet) B-310 Hatchback (blue)
'91 Mazda Protege (grey) -- only car I ever bought new.
'90? Dodge Colt P/U (red) -- my first truck that was all my own.
'96 Buick Regal (blue) -- bought from mother in law
'90 Volvo 810 Turbo (blue) -- turbo shot after 6 months, total loss
'97 Ford Ranger (green) -- my truck.
'90 Nissan Maxima (black) -- my beater.  My brother bought this new, then traded it to my Dad when he bought his truck.  My Dad gave it to me a year or so ago.  Great car.  Fun to drive can be abused guilt-free.
'96 Buick Century (brown) -- bought this a year ago from the estate of my great-aunt for $3K.  Had 19K miles on it at the time.  

I'm currently driving my Dad's Prius while he and Mom are in Florida.  I think its an '02.  This car is a trip to drive.  It's a hybrid, so you can feel it switching between gas and electric power.  It's by far the least powerful car I've ever driven.  However, this hasn't bothered me.  It's got a screen that constantly shows what your gas mileage is.  As you accelerate or go up hills your mileage goes down.  Now instead of speed I obssess on mileage.  I'm shooting for 50 mpg over the course of a tank.  Normally I get about 43-45.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up