Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alias  (Read 2440 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Alias
« on: January 20, 2005, 03:24:50 pm »

Everyone says Alias is soooooo great.  My hatred of the government increasingly makes it difficult for me to enjoy popular entertainment where the protagonists are Feds--for example, I watched about 2 episodes of 24 and hated it.  So, would I be able to enjoy Alias?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Alias
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 05:01:23 pm »

Alias is a silly show that's not so much about feds as about Jennifer Garner being dressed in various sexy little outfits in every episode.

So if you like Jennifer Garner in sexy little outfits, then buy all three seasons on DVD like I did.  If not, you may find little to like about the show.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Alias
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 05:57:39 pm »

I watch it (but not last night's ep yet) but I'm not way into it. I don't play the web-game, for example. The first two seasons were excellent but the network realized that they were falling into the dreaded Buffy/Angel/Farscape trap. Meaning the show had a very loyal cult audience who watched every episode but never the repeats. Plus it was hard for new vewiers to catch up because much like Farscape the "previously on" scenes would sometimes be from a season ago instead of just last week.

So at the beginning of year 3 (right after last year's super bowl) they hit the big red reset button. And they did it again this year. It's still good though.
Logged

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
Alias
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 07:18:26 pm »

But, but, but, I love the dreaded Buffy/Angel/Farscape trap!  You just named my three favorite hour-long TV shows!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Alias
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 07:27:21 pm »

Okay, well, Alias isn't quite as silly as Buffy but is sillier than Farscape.

So maybe this is totally the show for you.  Why not Netflix the first disc or two of the first season and see how you like it before commiting?

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Alias
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:41:37 pm »

"Netflix" is a verb already?  That was fuck*ng fast.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Alias
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 07:59:06 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
"Netflix" is a verb already?  That was fuck*ng fast.


They've been around at least three years.  We're still on internet time, baby.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Alias
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 09:12:50 pm »

Quote from: "Va"
But, but, but, I love the dreaded Buffy/Angel/Farscape trap!  You just named my three favorite hour-long TV shows!


OK, I don't like Farscape at all, but I do like Buffy and Angel. More so Firefly,  but still. Whedon is one hell of a good writer. And director. And producer. And...

Hate Alias though. I've only seen it a little bit I grant, but I didn't like it. Seemed utterly flat, and felt TV in the way that things like those new adventures of Superman and things looked and felt like TV. Or 24, which, no I think 24 just didn't work out like they hoped due to bad writing. It was all padding or hubris inflated deja vu.

And what is with people thinking Garner is so hot? She is the plainest looking woman I think I've ever seen!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Alias
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 09:52:56 pm »

Until this year I last Netflixed back in January 2000, so they've been around for at least five years.

I could use the transitive verb "to rent DVDs online using a subscription model without late fees" but "to Netflix" seems more concise.

And Jough is all about concision.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Alias
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 11:05:16 pm »

Just wait until the Netflix/TiVo partnership goes live and we'll have a whole new verb to deal with.

I don't think Garner is hot but she wears crazy sexy outfits which help a great deal. I also like the crazy unrealistic anime-style wigs.

But my main issue with Alias is how the film the action scenes. They cut about every 9 frames so it's impossible to tell what the hell is happening until the fight is over and you see who's still standing up. Buffy had this problem to an extent as well.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Alias
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 03:02:19 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
They cut about every 9 frames so it's impossible to tell what the hell is happening until the fight is over and you see who's still standing up. Buffy had this problem to an extent as well.


True, and it did annoy me. Low budget and all I guess, I just kind of forgave them for the writing.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Alias
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08:52 am »

I finally watched last night's episode and the whole thing was a Vonnegut reference which just made it extra awesome.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up