Friend of mine pre-ordered, scooped up the demo, and brought it around for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. The setting: a museum, where some sort of "rainforest / Aztec mystery" exhibit is going on.
Graphically, I wish that the game was something really special, as opposed to "about what I'd expect". I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch of the imagination, but a game like this isn't exactly banking on its depth or inventive gameplay - it's pretty much a Max Payne-style shooter, with equal parts strategery and twitch gunnin'. I don't like playing this sort of game with a joypad, and yeah, the game chewed me to pieces. I did like the Punisher's V/Os, though.
They tried their level best to make it "edgy" - during the "slaughter mode" or whatever the hell, you run around slicing up baddies with knives, and everything's gone all red-tinged and the voices of his dead family are all moaning in the background or whatever. Point being that Frank's kind of messed up. I thought this was an interesting idea, but sort of cheap and insulting in its implementation: if you want to make a psychological game, it certainly can be done (and done well, c.f. Silent Hill 2), but people are not coming to play the Punisher looking for a character study of an emotionally shattered mass murderer. They want to see Frank mess lots of people up in creative and fluid ways, and they want to feel good about seeing their frustration-borne violence and mutilation fantasies played out because the Bad Guys Had It Coming. The dead family members, then, are not a pivot on which "slaughter mode" or indeed the game turns, but another k3wl effect.
SO: there's these "special interrogations" - in the demo there was one, the old face-in-the-pirahna-tank maneuver, and it was clearly marked. I was really hoping that these little "play with the environment in sadistic ways" bits wouldn't be marked, to reward inventive play. I spent about five minutes in the fuck*ng demo trying to shove some dude's head into a glass case that clearly contained DANGEROUS RAINFOREST INSECTS, but no dice. Apparently the game dodged an "Adults Only" rating by having the interactive torture cut-scenes go to black and white.
It's the sort of game I'd enjoy watching someone else play, for both the "holy shit" and the "backseat gamer" factors. From all reports, it's loaded with comics geek fanservice (Bushwhacker was in the demo, for God's sake) so it's worth a look.