Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?  (Read 2937 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:15:38 pm »

I use Netflix, but don't have too many real life friends who use Netflix.  The few I do have are registered as my Netflix Friends and I've gotten some good recommendations from them.  It sounds like we've got several folks on here who use Netflix, would anybody mind getting on my Friends list so I can get some more movie recommendations?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:19:02 pm »

You got it, chief.  What's your Netflix user name?

I'm "Jough Dempsey".

Original, I know.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:24 pm »

I'm on there as "Ryan Olson", with the same email that I use for the board (gimpgimpson@yahoo.com).
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 06:14:01 am »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
I'm on there as "Ryan Olson", with the same email that I use for the board (gimpgimpson@yahoo.com).


I saw somewhere it's only 11.99 now.  Is that only a promo?  If not, looks like I'll be joining, once I get the 2nd Season of the Wire from Blockbuster Online.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 07:10:16 am »

I think the cheapest tier is $17.99.  And yes, I think either Blockbuster or Walmart has a 2 out at a time for cheaper (Netflix is 3 at a time for $17.99) but they don't have the service that Netflix has, or the large catalog.

But I'm only a client.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 02:13:35 pm »

No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money today...
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 04:14:25 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money today...


I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 05:17:30 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money today...

I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.

But don't you actually have to go to Blockbuster? I think I live in the only place in America without any Blockbusters nearby. Assuming the Hollywood Video buyout falls through, anyway.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 06:36:38 pm »

Oh, Blockbuster's subscription plan isn't through the mail?  They're not really a competitor, then.

And of course I tend to rent a lot of foreign films and prefer unrated cuts of other films, so Blockbuster is next to useless for me.

Walmart has a mail-order subscription service, and Amazon.com is rolling one out this year.   There's plenty of market space for all of them, I'm sure.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:25:56 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh, Blockbuster's subscription plan isn't through the mail?  They're not really a competitor, then.

I'm not sure, I was asking.

I know it's still in the vaporware stage but I'm waiting for the Netflix/TiVo partner ship. Apparently you can DL the movie onto the TiVo overnight and as soon as you delete it the next movie in the queue starts to transfer.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 08:28:03 pm »

Yeah, I have that now.  It's called Torrent Manager. ;)

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 05:50:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money today...

I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.

But don't you actually have to go to Blockbuster? I think I live in the only place in America without any Blockbusters nearby. Assuming the Hollywood Video buyout falls through, anyway.


No, it's through the mail.  Three at a time, unlimited, etc.  Plus you get two free movie vouchers a month to use at your local (or any) Blockbuster.  I've been really pleased with it so far.  I've heard the selection isn't as great as Netflix's, but I haven't run out of choices yet.  When I do, I guess I switch.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up