Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.  (Read 9952 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« on: February 01, 2005, 06:34:55 am »

Subject is my favorite part of the comic, the fullstops putting an awkward kind of pause in there that I found intriguing.

Why am I always up around the time these get posted?

PS: Squeeeeak
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:56:07 am »

L@@K INTO YOUR PAST, RAY

OBVIOUSLY SOME ESES PUT SOME ANGEL DUST IN YOUR WEED, HOLMES
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 07:01:34 am »

Ker-PLUNK.  That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.

I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 07:19:36 am »

I laughed at "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST." But it was only a chortle.

The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 07:37:16 am »

Lawnmowers do smell good.  Too bad I don't have one.  Tomorrow, my goal is to smell a lawnmower.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 07:45:01 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I laughed at "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST." But it was only a chortle.

The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?


The "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST" was a nice touch.  It's what everyone mentions when making fun of eBay, but with a nice spin.

I was also confused by the big bottom panel.  I couldn't even come up with that much.  Also, when he is spreading his arms and squeaking, shouldn't the grid he's up against be erased?  Unless, that is, we can't see the part of the grid he's in contact with...you know...down there...
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

filas

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:46:36 am »

maybe you guys aren't high enough, but this is FRIGGIN GENIUS!
ebay will tell you the value and whatever happened to all the fun in the world?
Logged

char *

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 11:36:20 am »

Quote
Also, when he is spreading his arms and squeaking, shouldn't the grid he's up against be erased?


he could be behind the grid...
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 01:21:13 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Ker-PLUNK.  That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.

I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.


Agreed. The cat is high for an implausible amount of time. We may be whimsical, but it is tempered by sensibility.

SENSIBLE WHIMSY.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 01:36:09 pm »

Maybe Ray is doing more hits off camera.  Either that or he's smoking God's Own Pot.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 01:59:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?

He's breaking the 4th wall, writing directly on the back of your monitor.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 02:08:48 pm »

I have a lawn mower.  You are welcome to come over and smell it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 03:08:17 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?

He's breaking the 4th wall, writing directly on the back of your monitor.


Wrong comic, but I just read this one yesterday, so it's a perfect fit.

http://www.qwantz.com/20030910.html
Logged

Silverberg

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 04:11:06 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Ker-PLUNK.  That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.

I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.


I agree with Jough's opinion basically 100%, which makes me sad and scared.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 05:23:24 pm »

I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.
He's only been high for three strips and they really are classic: Pans, driftwood, 45 degree angles and smelling things that are metal.
I don't expect it will go beyond today, but these are delicious strips.

Ray's writing his name on your monitor like kids do in the dirt on your car to say "wash me".

I like that the clock only goes to three o'clock and then time ceases to exist. These strips really are great I mean Ray is doing things that he finds so profound and mind-blowing but they are just odd. "Camping is the ultimate expression of habitation." "What?"... seriously that's gold!
Achewood is the ultimate expression of a cat getting high and blowing my mind.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up