Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.  (Read 9951 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I have a lawn mower.  You are welcome to come over and smell it.


Awesome.  But I don't know where Banana Town is.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 05:46:08 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.


Don't get me wrong, I love it when Chris experiments with Achewood. "Philippe Kidnapped" and "Ray in Hell" were, as far as I remember, completely different from what I'd come to expect from the strip. During those story arcs (but not just those, to be fair), I could not wait for the next installment.

These strips are OK, because Chris still - well, no shit - has a sense of what is funny, especially when playing w/ language. But they're more collections of hit-or-miss funny bits (e.g. "L@@K", "Ed's Pans", "Instead."), stuff that was too good to leave in the sketchbook but not strong enough to hold up a whole strip.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 07:13:45 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.
He's only been high for three strips and they really are classic: Pans, driftwood, 45 degree angles and smelling things that are metal.
I don't expect it will go beyond today, but these are delicious strips.


The comedy Rule of Three doesn't apply when there's a weekend and a random taking off of a Monday for whatever reason interpolated in there somewhere.


Q. Knock knock
A. Who's there?
We return Wednesday
Q. Orange.
A. Orange who?
PM Update Thursday
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 10:23:13 pm »

Maybe that's what it is.  Maybe the joke seems far more played-out than it is because of the weekend and then the day off on Monday - so really we've been looking at these for a whole week now.

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 11:19:48 pm »

Like I've said before: when read in the archives, the timing of these strips works out fine. Each one by itself, when taken alone after 24-72 hours of intense jonesing and browser-refreshing, will not cause your dad to have hit you less in the past.

Leak Less Bile/Have More Style in '05
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 12:27:21 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Like I've said before: when read in the archives, the timing of these strips works out fine. Each one by itself, when taken alone after 24-72 hours of intense jonesing and browser-refreshing, will not cause your dad to have hit you less in the past.

Leak Less Bile/Have More Style in '05


So what you are trying to tell us is that marijuana distorts the sense of time?
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 12:29:48 am »

No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 12:40:37 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.


Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays! (We return Tuesday.)
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 12:49:30 am »

Goodbye for now Achewood fanatics who think they bring humor game
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 01:07:05 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.

I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 01:13:18 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please?


I believe he's referring to Bobby's collection of buttons for various means of contact via IM, etc. While most of us have three to five, he's got approximately thirty-six.

My question for Chris, and I promise I'm not trying to be smarmy, is this: when creating Achewood, do you tend to think of it in the terms of someone reading the archive, or in terms of those who read it first thing in the morning every day?
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 01:16:17 am »

I just try to hang ten on that vodka curl, man.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 01:59:07 am »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Goodbye for now Achewood fanatics who think they bring humor game


I'd like to remind everyone that this is an exhibition, not a competition.  So please, no wagering.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 02:11:04 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.

I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.

Under each message are the buttons for "profile, pm, AIM, ICQ" etc etc. But the board only displays usable buttons. For example, I don't have ICQ so no ICQ button appears under my posts. Bobby has every button possible under his posts indicating he has every messenger client, has provided his e-mail address, and a homepage.

Onstad is comparing this row of buttons to the grid of ribbons on some big general-type guy's chest such as you see in movies.

[edit: I didn't notice this thread had already hit a 2nd page, or that golfhaus had already answered your question. I lose at the internet.]
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 03:51:55 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.

I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.


"profile" "pm" "aim" "icq" etc.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up