Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.  (Read 9952 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2005, 02:08:52 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
This thread temporarily unlocked because I was busy earning money and didn't have time to read it until now.

Watching Chris and Bobby go at it is like watching Erkel fight Monroe from "Too Close for Comfort" - neither is doing much damage and the girly slapping is just embarrassing to watch from the sidelines.


Holy crap if that isn't a reference I haven't heard in ... ever. What the hell happened to that guy? Is he still on Hollywood Squares?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2005, 02:22:16 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Watching Chris and Bobby go at it is like watching Erkel fight Monroe from "Too Close for Comfort" - neither is doing much damage and the girly slapping is just embarrassing to watch from the sidelines.

This insult brought to you by the Committe to Make People Go, "hey, I remember that!"
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2005, 02:37:30 pm »

I love you all extremely hard today.  Please carry on at great length if possible.  Thank you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2005, 02:41:25 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
I love you all extremely hard today.  Please carry on at great length if possible.  Thank you.


Artificially extending our vitriol over a period of several days is just as unfunny as a thirty second print joke imposed on a 96 hour web publishing schedule. Learn, wombat, learn.

We're into education now.

Education.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2005, 02:51:03 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I get to make fun of Remus Rhombus just like everyone else, and you know he digs it and he completely smiles and is tickled. Don't chalk it up to my emotional problems. That is inaccurate.


Absolutely agreed.  That wasn't my point at all and I wasn't suggesting that you have any sort of emotional problem.  I'm really not trying to be disingenuous or snarky at all here.  I'm genuinely curious.  Only rarely do I have the general public (or anyone, for that matter) commenting on the quality of my work.  I don't know how I'd react if there was a message board available where I could read anonymous pokes at what I put out.  It wasn't meant as a dig at you.  

Please continue making fun of Generic Dimunitive Boys Name + Geometric Figure.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2005, 04:26:11 pm »

Remus Rhombus. That is all that needs to be said.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2005, 06:00:09 pm »

Well, hell, when there are more embarrassing nicknames for Bobby on the line, how can I keep a thread locked? Lay on, gentlemen.

(For the record, for a brief instance there I thought it would be funny to lock this slap-fighting in an arbitrary and capricious "I AM BORED OF THIS THREAD" fashion just on the 'retro Dumbrella shout-out' level. Clearly I stand corrected, and also stand "V-dore," which is an insult so sublime I cannot distinguish it from a typo.)
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2005, 06:07:29 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Well, hell, when there are more embarrassing nicknames for Bobby on the line, how can I keep a thread locked? Lay on, gentlemen.

(For the record, for a brief instance there I thought it would be funny to lock this slap-fighting in an arbitrary and capricious "I AM BORED OF THIS THREAD" fashion just on the 'retro Dumbrella shout-out' level. Clearly I stand corrected, and also stand "V-dore," which is an insult so sublime I cannot distinguish it from a typo.)


JOHNNY LAVAPLATOS, PEOPLE.

EDIT by V: Ivan Icosahedron borked his quote tags. I fixed it.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2005, 06:21:48 pm »

Bobby I admire how you just keep on swinging.  After the way you got punked out by Onstad most would have slinked away in shame.  But I gotta ask, is there no apt Scandinavian video to match this scenario?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2005, 06:46:08 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Bobby I admire how you just keep on swinging.  After the way you got punked out by Onstad most would have slinked away in shame.  But I gotta ask, is there no apt Scandinavian video to match this scenario?

~Paul


To sum up my crushed, defeated mood, i present:

Don't Let the World Catch You Crying

and as a bonus:

Music to Clean Meconium To
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2005, 07:21:28 pm »

This entire "wow isn't this taking a long time" discussion has struck me as completely ridiculous from the beginning.  Would there have been this much to-do when the first party we saw in Achewood lasted for almost a month?  Comics are an infinitely de/compressible medium, people.  I'm not going to read your McCloud for you.  Damn.

R I S O T T O
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2005, 08:12:49 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
This entire "wow isn't this taking a long time" discussion has struck me as completely ridiculous from the beginning.  Would there have been this much to-do when the first party we saw in Achewood lasted for almost a month?  Comics are an infinitely de/compressible medium, people.  I'm not going to read your McCloud for you.  Damn.

R I S O T T O


The party shifted characters and had an evolution. Ray is high and stupid on day one! Ray is high and stupid on day two! Ray is high and stupid on day three! It's a repetition that one associates with a good one-two-three punch of comedy: so much that it's called the Law of Threes in some circles, most of which I haven't made up. Yet the one-two-three punch has less effect with 24 hours between posting. Manfred Meconium is correct in pointing out that it will be very funny in an anthology with a 0.5 second delay between page turns.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2005, 09:21:46 pm »

I was really only being nice when saying that it'll play better in the archives.  It doesn't play any better when read as a one-two-three shot.  The first one is okay, and then two and three rely on the "get it?  get it?" formula of comedy that elbows you in the ribs after its told its joke like a drunken uncle.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2005, 10:15:44 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I was really only being nice


Impossible!

Quote from: "jough"
when saying that it'll play better in the archives.  It doesn't play any better when read as a one-two-three shot.  The first one is okay, and then two and three rely on the "get it?  get it?" formula of comedy that elbows you in the ribs after its told its joke like a drunken uncle.


Case in point.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
2-1-05: Go into the garage and smell metal stuff. Instead.
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2005, 10:19:59 pm »

humour can't be looked in a formula. Sure, you can make up rules and they will work a lot of the time but there are exceptions to every rule.
Ray being high left some creative freedom, there was no need to develop plot or character and there was the freedom to work with the most developed character in all of achewood and experiment. For the most part the humour works it's not *badum chh* it's something a little bit more bizarre but altogether very real. I'm not going to say you have get high to get it. But I can understand it being a stuggle to find the humour for a person without frame of reference.
Everyone in achewood has a character and you are limited to that. We could have a whole series of philippe getting into awkward messes because he just doesn't understand how the world works or Lyle upsetting people with his drunkenss. With Ray you are less limited because he is willing to try anything and so can you. What better way to free yourself as a creator than by freeing your character... Freeing his mind. Now you can experiment with that idea of many tiny panels. Or him writing his name in the grid.
Creativity is like a rubber ball. No matter how bouncy it is there are some surfaces on which it will fall flat.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up