Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« on: February 01, 2005, 05:50:01 pm »

Because I figure the "what are you reading?" thread needs its musical accompaniment.

I've personally been listening to Belly's Star for about a week now. I found it at a used bookstore and bought it on the strength of a half-remembered radio single, "Feed the Tree" -- and I have no regrets, because this album is basically like treasure. Severely beautiful, strange music. Oh yes.

I also recently came into copies of Pressure Chief, Around the Sun, and American Idiot, but I haven't listened to any of them yet. Maybe tonight.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:05:59 pm »

Star is a wonderful album, and I wish, like so many other albums / bands, that I'd come across it sooner. King is pretty darned good, too - I haven't listened to it as much, though, and I can't really identify any "standout" tracks. Typically grand 4AD artwork, though.

Right now, I can't stop listening to Sittin' Pretty by the Pastels, especially the first half, which is pretty much a solidly built wall of catchy, upbeat enjoyment. I (relatively) recently got my hands on the Black Spring and For Love EPs by Lush, and those delicious b-sides are also getting hella play; something else that is basically like treasure is finding new songs from a defunct band.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:10:09 pm »

I've been listening to a lot of Beethoven's Wig.  By proxy, of course -- I've been playing it to the baby via giant headphones on my belly.  

For those of you with young kids, I highly recommend it.  Far less irritating than a lot of stuff out there.  We got our copy off iTunes after hearing a spot on NPR about it.  

Short of the actual, real, classical music I've been playing for Pearce/Pierce, I've also been playing him a CD called "Latin Lullabies," which consists of a dozen traditional South American folk songs (some of which Pedro's mother used to sing to him as a kid), and the complete works of John Williams.  

We do what we can.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:19:59 pm »

I've been listening to a fair amount of Ojos de Brujo and Macaco. I also keep putting on the Bowie tracks from Life Aquatic that Seu Jorge does in Portugese on the acoustic. They are fantastic.

Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.

Oh, and I started listening to loads of TMGE again after watching Casshern and hearing Back Horn loads.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 06:41:15 pm »

I've been listening to too much mc chris lately.  I think I have a problem, and I need to seek help.  

On the upside, he will be coming to Kansas in March or so.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:01:21 pm »

I got free tickets to a beatles tribute band from work and so went full out Beatles obsessed for the last month or so. The tribute band was wicked amazing (rain perhaps you've heard of them). I realise that I have nearly OD'd on Beatles and I'm mixing it up now so as not to spoil a good thing. Yesterday I rocked out to the Who. Brian Wilson's Smile is one of my most current purchases, really quite scrumptious. I've also been playing some Air to soothe my lonely soul and I've got this awesome classic rock mini-disc I threw together of 300 minutes of great songs, perfect for those long walks around town.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 08:08:00 pm »

My iPod, on "Shuffle Songs".  I've only got 2797 songs on it so far, though.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 08:34:52 pm »

I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default. And the SO has been on a Weakerthans kick so I hear them whenever we take her car.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 08:35:28 pm »

I haven't bought anything new for a while, and have been pushing through my back catalog.  The Sheila Divine's Parade is a great freakin' record.  As is Swervedriver's 99th Dream.

I really want to get the Legends' Up Against the Legends, but haven't felt like dealing with Amazon et. al. to get it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 08:36:20 pm »

A Short History of World War II by James Stokesbury.  Interesting.  Most of my prior WWII reading has been pure military history.  Thus far, this book has focus more on diplomatic and political history after WWI and before 1939.  But I'm just on the second tape.

Just finished Patrick O'Brian's The Surgeon's Mate.  Excellent, as are all the rest of the Aubrey/Maturin books.  Also, the narrator, Patrick Tull is simply amazing.

On tap is Ringworld's Children.  I liked Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers a whole lot.  Some Niven is a little dry for my tastes, so we'll see how this one goes.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

keef

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
    • http://www.keef.org
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 08:49:11 pm »

I can't stop listening to the new Geto Boys album, The Foundation.

Also, the new Camper Van Beethoven album, New Roman Times.

And various Trojan Records box sets-- calypso, club reggae, chill out reggae, rastafari.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 09:48:54 pm »

My Morning Jacket has this wicked-awesome EP called "Acoustic Citsouca! Live At The Startime Pavilion" that I have been listening to on repeat forever.  The review from Pitchfork is actually pretty good, imho.
 
Also, after seeing a recent Austin City Limits that showcased both Ozomatli and The Polyphonic Spree, I dug out my old Ozomatli albums and bought 2 albums by the Spree. I have always loved Ozomatli, and now the Spree and MMJ are my two favorite new bands.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 09:53:34 pm »

You must see the Polyphonic Spree live sometime.  I saw them in Chicago last year, and that was the most enjoyable concert I've been to in a long time.  Hopefully they'll make it up to Alaska if they tour this year.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 10:02:57 pm »

I recently downloaded about 10Gb of new songs, so I'm listening to about half of them after wiping my iPod clean when I realised that half of the albums that I loaded on it at first don't really need to be on my iPod.  Why did I copy over EVERY Beach Boys album when I really only listen to a few dozen songs from them?

Today I have been shuffling, but usually I'll play entire albums.  I've really been enjoying old albums that I'm newly discovering, like:

The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin", "Clouds Taste Metallic", and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink *#*#*s"

Television "Marquee Moon"

Wilco "Hotel Yankee Foxtrot" (it's growing on me slowly, although I'm still largely unimpressed)

The Thorns "The Thorns"

U2 "Zooropa" (for some reason I never really listened to it when it came out, even though I had a promo copy since before it was released)

Buddy Holly & The Crickets "Definitive Collection" (catching up on the BH that I don't know)

Weezer "Blue", "Green", "Pinkerton", "Maladroit"

Kevin Spacey "Beyond the Sea Soundtrack" (the man can sing)

Billy Ocean "Ultimate Collection" (great stuff)

Bjork "Post", "Gling-Glo"

They Might Be Giants "Lincoln" (I came in when "Flood" was first released, but I still think "John Henry" is their best album)

Miles Davis "Porgy & Bess"

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 10:17:46 pm »

Quote from: "linnea"
My Morning Jacket has this wicked-awesome EP called "Acoustic Citsouca! Live At The Startime Pavilion" that I have been listening to on repeat forever.  The review from Pitchfork is actually pretty good, imho.
 


I saw them open for Bob Dylan last summer.  They're local (Louisville) boys.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up