Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34270 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 02:47:07 am »

I just found this great band Starlight Mints. I'm gonna go ahead and steal a phrase from AMG and call them Dreamy Pop.

Very quirky lyrics, with cool strings mixed into solid if plain guitair. Very catchy songs though, and it all makes for a pretty consistant album. I wish I had some space to upload a song or two to cause I've been dying to share them with someone. I highly reccomend going into a local music store that has one of those nice listening stations and asking to demo the CD.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 03:08:11 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.


Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Quote from: "slink"
Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.


Which albums have you been listening to?  I have Deadringer by RJD2 and Labor Days by Aesop Rock.  Both are good, though I rarely listen to them anymore.  Daylight by AR is amazing though.  Second track on that album.  I've yet to hear the new RJD2.

And Jough, how is "Gling-Glo"?  I see it all the time, but haven't heard it.  Is it anything at all like any of her other stuff?

I've been listening to Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn and the Superwolf by Matt Sweeney and Bonnie "Prince" Billy.  In addition to Madvillain and the Mekons.  And Funkadelic.[/quote]
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 04:04:19 am »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.

Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Live, Normal Years, Perfect, and Ancient Melodies. I already had Nothing Wrong and Secret (this being my favorite by far).

I've also gone on a bit of a Laughing Colors kick since they're breaking up this month. And I just downloaded The Soviettes LPII but haven't listened to it yet, but I imagine it'll get some play this week.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 05:16:18 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.

Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Live, Normal Years, Perfect, and Ancient Melodies. I already had Nothing Wrong and Secret (this being my favorite by far).


Should probably also get Ultimate Alternative Wavers.  I don't know how easy it is to get anymore, but it's very good.  Any BtS fans should also check out the Halo Benders and the Treepeople.  Doug Martsch has a decent solo album as well.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 08:35:50 am »

Quote from: "miles"

And Jough, how is "Gling-Glo"?  I see it all the time, but haven't heard it.  Is it anything at all like any of her other stuff?


No.  It's kind of a loungy-jazzy thing - very cool, but quite unlike all of Bjork's other material.

I have included a song from it in my latest mix disc, so PM me with your address if you want a copy.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 05:20:10 pm »

Quote from: "Gimpson"
You must see the Polyphonic Spree live sometime.  I saw them in Chicago last year, and that was the most enjoyable concert I've been to in a long time.  Hopefully they'll make it up to Alaska if they tour this year.

Quote from: "AugustWest"

I saw (My Morning Jacket) open for Bob Dylan last summer. They're local (Louisville) boys.


Oh man, I would love to see the Polyphonic Spree live. After getting all giddy and happy from seeing them play on Austin City Limits, it would just be phenomenal to see them live.  However, their tour dates appear to be currently only in places like LA and New York. Even if they did come to Alaska, I live in a rural bush community -- the plane ticket for me to come to Anchorage would be about nine hundred dollars.

And AugustWest, how was MMJ in concert? Pretty rad?
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 05:41:25 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I saw them open for Bob Dylan last summer.  They're local (Louisville) boys.


How was Bob Dylan?  I haven't seen him in several years.

Sadly, he's performing in Seattle (at the Paramount, where I first saw him in '95) for three days, right before I get home for a visit.  And in Portland, the same night I arrive in Seattle.  And then in Las Vegas, which is none too far from where I live now, but right before I get back.  So unless I go to LA, a long drive and an expensive trip (and harder to justify since I'm not seeing anyone out there anymore), I won't get to see him this time, again.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 06:14:45 pm »

I'm basically all A Ghost is Born all the time right now.  Muzzle of Bees, Hummingbird, and Handshake drugs are heaven.  I'm in heaven when I listen to it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 06:15:26 pm »

Great.  The only other time I saw him was in '81 and this show compared well to that one.  It was in the parking lot of Jillian's.  Fun show.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 06:36:18 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm basically all A Ghost is Born all the time right now.

You heard they're re-releasing it, right? Doesn't that piss you off?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 07:03:01 pm »

Re-releasing?  What do you mean?  Was it supposed to be limited time only or something?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 07:04:51 pm »

Quote from: "Wilco's web site"
Wilco and Nonesuch will be re-releasing A Ghost in Born in Europe with a 5-track bonus disc in conjunction with the band's March tour. For those of you who already own a copy of the CD, It will also be available as an "enhanced content" free download. Meaning you'll be able to access the download only with the CD in your computer drive.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 07:05:59 pm »

Well, at least they're making the extra content available to people who already purchased the CD.  That is mighty white of them.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 11:14:50 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Well, at least they're making the extra content available to people who already purchased the CD.  That is mighty white of them.


Yea. This never worked on the two previous CD's I bought that offered it though. Both Foo Fighter's last album, and System of a Down's both offered this. Neither would find the CD in either drive however.
Not that I cared that much as you can still track things down elsewhere anyway.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 03:53:28 am »

Basically I've been listening to this mix I made practically nonstop.  o' course, this is mostly since I injured myself and to not give myself a workout by walking over to my cd case, I just kept it in the discman all week.

Of course, going by that, I've also listened a good deal to the Namelessnumberheadman album 'Your Voice Repeating', manyfingers - s/t and the new Hood / Hood single 'The Lost You' a nice amount as well since those were the last things I got :D

This week or next, I should get some new stuff in the mail.  a friend is sending me a few albums from '04 I didn't get around to (I asked for Espers, Esmerine and a Mt. Eerie Live in Japan disc... not entirely sure if anything else'll be in there, but we shall see!) in exchange for some I sent him... plus, I ordered a few from amazon:
Jeff Parker - Relatives
Archer Prewitt - Wilderness
The Dears - No Cities Left
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up