Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34297 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 05:14:10 am »

Finally put "Pressure Chief" in the ol' CD drive two days ago. It hasn't been out yet. I'm not sure if it's quite as good as "Comfort Eagle," but sweet Christmas is this a good album.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 02:10:53 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Finally put "Pressure Chief" in the ol' CD drive two days ago. It hasn't been out yet. I'm not sure if it's quite as good as "Comfort Eagle," but sweet Christmas is this a good album.


I'm not a huge fan of the first two songs, so after a few listens it went on the shelf for a while.  When it came back off I listened to everything but those, and it stayed at work for quite some time.  I particularly love "Dime" and "End of the Movie".  

I just remembered that John McCrea was on Fresh Air yesterday and I forgot to listen.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2005, 02:26:24 pm »

Cake has the amazing ability to grow on me. Every CD of theirs I buy I find initially disappointing, good as an occaisional change of pace, strangely infectious, and finally totally rockin'. I thought it was just me but the SO describes similar feelings.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2005, 06:12:17 pm »

"Dime" is fantastic, as is "End of the Movie." (Am I misremembering, or did Slink use a "Dime" lyric as his sig for a while? The one about being determined not to be dented.) I think the winner of the album for me, though, might be "Carbon Monoxide," if only for the rhythm and the yelled part about how one's lungs will be SO FUCKED UP.

I should really just make a Cake Super-Mix already.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2005, 06:18:17 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Dime" is fantastic, as is "End of the Movie." (Am I misremembering, or did Slink use a "Dime" lyric as his sig for a while? The one about being determined not to be dented.)


That I did. Did I change it?
I guess I'll see when I post this.

My brother went to see Cake last night over in Glasgow. Reckoned it was one of the best gigs he's ever been to. They didn't play much from Pressure Chief, like, one track I think, but then it doesn't quite fit live with the rest of their stuff.
I'm not talking to him now.

Oh yes... So I did.
I am determined, not to be dented by a car, by a plane, or by anything, not yet invented...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2005, 04:13:51 am »

filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.

luna's penthouse.  damn i forgot how good that album is.  and i still hate that song at the end.

random songs from the internet.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2005, 06:41:36 am »

Quote from: "arkabee"
filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.


What is Filter?  I mean, I know Hey Man Nice Shot, and always thought that was enjoyable enough.  But then once I saw this video, and I thought the video and song were absolutely ridiculous.  And then the text on the bottom the screen told me it was Filter.  I was kinda surprised actually.  Is Shortbus a good starting point if I want to check them out?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2005, 03:20:33 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "arkabee"
filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.


What is Filter?  I mean, I know Hey Man Nice Shot, and always thought that was enjoyable enough.  But then once I saw this video, and I thought the video and song were absolutely ridiculous.  And then the text on the bottom the screen told me it was Filter.  I was kinda surprised actually.  Is Shortbus a good starting point if I want to check them out?


i would say yes.  song number one on that album is "hey man", so it would be a "safe" purchase.

a couple of their later stuff gets a little mushy.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2005, 06:50:19 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
I've been listening to a fair amount of Ojos de Brujo and Macaco. I also keep putting on the Bowie tracks from Life Aquatic that Seu Jorge does in Portugese on the acoustic. They are fantastic.


I really want to get this album. I loved those songs in the movie. On a somewhat similar note, I just got AtomTM's latest album, CMYK. Wow. Fantastic graphics, crazy noises, and five classic 80s covers played on the glockenspiel, Including Samantha Fox's "Touch Me" and Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy." Pure wonderful.

Quote from: "slink"
Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.


Yeah, RJ's stuff is pretty good. I like Deadringer a lot better than Since We Last Spoke, but to be fair, I haven't listened to Since We Last Spoke all that much. I will have to do that again soon. Maybe later on this afternoon. For now I can't get this glockenspiel out of my ears.

For instrumental hip-hop-ish stuff, you may also want to check out Prefuse 73, if you haven't already.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2005, 11:17:45 pm »

The Barbarella soundtrack is god, as is "Bombay the Hard Way: Guns, Cars and Sitars." I'm in a bizarre music mood right now. Also, the Barbarella soundtrack came with a fold-out poster of Jane Fonda.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2005, 02:25:40 am »

Leningrad, and the new Mars Volta album. Tre prog.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2005, 06:15:14 am »

Listening right now to AFX's Analord 12"s while I try to complete a test case that I was supposed to have done a few weeks ago.

If I don't have this thing done by tomorrow, I think I'm gonna be in deep doodoo. And I don't think that I'm going to be sleeping tonight. Bleagh. I suck.

But yeah, these AFX 12"s are awesome. I should be getting Vols. 03 and 04 in tomorrow's mail. Can't wait!
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2005, 03:43:48 am »

My time is split twixt a combination of LCD Soundsystem and trying to determine whether I like LCD Soundsystem and a combination of the Buzzcocks and thinking about how much I love songs by the Buzzcocks
Logged

old kentucky shark

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2005, 03:45:08 am »

Oh and also Javanese Gamelan music, because it is always a party.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2005, 04:29:27 am »

word to the guy talking about RJD2 and Aesop Rock, just got into them myself.  also to the Wilco.

i've been pretty preoccupied with an album by this band the mountain goats called 'tallahassee'.  it's actually basically just one guy, who sounds appropriately goatish, with an acoustic guitar (though it should be noted that he says: 'i'm a guy with an acoustic guitar, but i'm not one of those guys with an acoustic guitar,' which i quite like).

also getting into the elliott smith back catalog and modest penis side-project ugly casanova.

p.s. word to 'marquee moon', as well.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up