Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34456 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2005, 04:52:52 am »

i've been revisiting Helmet.  i missed them.

hadn't heard their cover of "Army of Me" before. it's nifty:
http://www.helmetband.com/audio/audio.html
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2005, 05:27:18 am »

Hokay, from the top-
I'm home right now, so CDs are cheap, and I'm filling up. I grabbed a CD by a guy I used to work with, Joe Manning, which was recorded in the middle of the night in a tunnel in a park I live near, so you can hear the crickets chirping in the background. Very nice. Then, I found a copy of the Minders "The Future's Always Perfect," as well as the Duhks self-titled. The Minders is good if you like sorta bip-rock, I guess, and the Duhks is good for what it is, i.e. Bela Fleck-influenced bluegrass. A bit too.....polished for my tastes? Maybe a bit too "Nashville," rather. Then, a record store was closing down near my house, and I found a copy of the Saddle Creek "50" compilation on sale for $2.25. I found a cheap copy of local band Verktum's self-titled and then a new 3-disc Yo La Tengo compilation, "Prisoners of Love."
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2005, 07:20:16 am »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?

I didn't know that was a secret.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2005, 09:42:34 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
I found a copy of the Minders "The Future's Always Perfect," The Minders is good if you like sorta bip-rock, I guess,


The Minders play Portland lots, with Fuck.

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?


I always think of T. Rex as more of a he, because really, how much did Steve Peregrine Took bring to the party?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2005, 09:47:15 pm »

The Howling Hex's All Night Fox. Hypnotic, stripped down rock from the former main brain of Royal Trux.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Va

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 435
    • View Profile
    • http://posdef.net
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2005, 10:47:03 pm »

Under the Western Freeway - Grandaddy
Discipline - King Crimson
The Spine - TMBG
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2005, 05:11:17 pm »

Some things making the rotation in my CD player:

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Beck - Guero
Marc Broussard - Carencro
Doves - Some Cities
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2005, 11:38:30 pm »

Finally have the new Spoon album, it's awesome.  Also getting into the LCD Soundsystem bonus tracks (especially 'deceptacon'...wow) and, for the rap fans, I finally downloaded all of antipop consortium's 'arrhythmia', definitely worth a listen.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2005, 06:45:36 am »

I thought earlier about what a strange world I live in when I'm really sick of Beck's "Guero" already - strange considering that it was just officially released TODAY.

Also, I cannot tell the difference between most of the tracks on the offical legal release and the leaked version, other than the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).

I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2005, 02:02:20 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.


I've seen a few clips from that on the Disney Channel, and I haven't been all that impressed.  They're OK, but not great, IMO.

TMBG does the theme song for awful Disney Channel CGI show "Higglytown Heroes."

The best kids' music artist right now is Dan Zanes.  Songs for kids that actually have some musicianship behind them.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2005, 02:12:24 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I thought earlier about what a strange world I live in when I'm really sick of Beck's "Guero" already - strange considering that it was just officially released TODAY.

Also, I cannot tell the difference between most of the tracks on the offical legal release and the leaked version, other than the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).

I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.

What makes it Deluxe? Is it one of those lame-ass DualDisc things?

I love TMBG and all but No! didn't really do it for me so I haven't picked up or even heard the ABCs. It still kind of bugs me when they play Violin &c at shows where no kids are present.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2005, 03:56:28 pm »

I found a song by Andrew Bird on Salon a while back and liked it so much I grabbed his new album and an older one.  I'm currently enjoying them so much it's inspired me to buy all the old Squirrel Nut Zippers albums I've lost over the years.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2005, 06:38:50 pm »

Oh, their kids albums aren't really for kids.  Actually, I've never heard "No!" so I don't know if that one isn't as good, but "Here Come the ABCs" is their best album since John Henry as far as I'm concerned (I thought Factory Showroom and Mink Car were awful, and The Spine is only somewhat growing on me).

But ABCs is awesome.  I don't have kids (that I know of, har har) and I've been listening to it a lot.  I understand there's also a DVD with bizarre animations for the songs.  I'll have to see if Netflix carries it.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2005, 08:31:58 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Oh, their kids albums aren't really for kids.  Actually, I've never heard "No!" so I don't know if that one isn't as good, but "Here Come the ABCs" is their best album since John Henry as far as I'm concerned (I thought Factory Showroom and Mink Car were awful, and The Spine is only somewhat growing on me).

But ABCs is awesome.  I don't have kids (that I know of, har har) and I've been listening to it a lot.  I understand there's also a DVD with bizarre animations for the songs.  I'll have to see if Netflix carries it.

We must just have different tastes. John Henry is my least favorite album and I liked FS a lot (Mink Car was meh, but at least it's autographed and was free). I haven't heard of a DVD but No! has various little Flash bits for the songs if you put it in your computer.

I think this whole kids thing grew out of Linnell's State Songs album, which I also found underwhelming.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2005, 08:44:32 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).


Which song?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up