Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34476 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2005, 11:19:41 pm »

Yeah, you must not have good taste because John Henry is TMBG's best album.

As for Beck's best song that's not on Guero but was on the leaked version of Guero, it's officially called "Send A Message To Her" and it's on the Japanese version, which some online stores are selling as the "Deluxe" version.  As it only has three extra tracks (available for free download if you PM me) I just ripped them from someone else's disc - I don't know if they'll be made available in the U.S. but since you can't buy them (technically) in this market I'm calling "fair use" on their re-distribution.

Fuck you, Beck.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2005, 07:58:06 pm »

I've only heard the first few tracks off Guero so far. Didn't do it for me as much as the first two albums did.
I'll give it a proper listen at work tomorrow if I get a chance. I just got my iRiver and have copied across everything I could possibly ever think of listening to, so god knows what mood I'll be in tomorrow - probably more of the new Queens of the Stone Age album frankly.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2005, 10:38:25 am »

I've been listening to some demo stuff I found on soulseek.

The TV on the Radio song netti fritti being one of them.  it cracks me up.

Also, I've been waiting for new stuff I ordered to arrive in the mail for forever.  soon I'm going to order the new a silver mt. zion... I've had it in my dl folder for a couple months, but the packaging is what I'm excited to see.

Is it weird I had no desire to hear the new Beck?  hm... I just haven't been that interested in Beck since '97.... though when browsing stuff on soulseek, I saw tons of new Beck stuff I could've listened to.. which is how I heard many new albums even if I previously hadn't heard or cared about the band/singer.  interesting.  now I'm slightly piqued yet not really... just about the one song I guess.  I'll have to go find it!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2005, 02:41:27 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, you must not have good taste because John Henry is TMBG's best album.


This is the truth.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2005, 03:16:51 pm »

Quote from: "starlight"
Is it weird I had no desire to hear the new Beck?

If it is, then i'm very weird too.  It's especially so for me since I thought Sea Change was an awesome album, the best of the year.  I think it's because he's not looking forward any longer, but instead trying to recapture the audience that loved Odelay.  I'll probably love his next one.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2005, 04:07:24 pm »

Yeah, I loved Sea Change and Mutations.

But I thought Midnite Vultures was his best album, taking the Odelay thing as far as it can go.

The new one is like Mellow Gold 1.5 - it's halfway between the sound of MG and Odelay.

I read that the working title of this one was "Odelay 2" which I guess is about right - aren't sequels usually watered-down versions of what made the original a success?  (Star Trek and Spider-Man franchises did not follow this rule)

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2005, 07:00:33 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
(Star Trek and Spider-Man franchises did not follow this rule)


Or X-Men, Evil Dead and Alien.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2005, 08:17:18 pm »

Or Star Wars, Before Sunrise, or El Mariachi.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2005, 10:49:44 pm »

or Mighty ducks!

well, i've only ever seen Might Ducks 2.  and it makes me cry!

it's the bestest.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2005, 08:16:50 pm »

Man, since when was State Songs a kids' album? Or even a childish one? Sure, it had some strange material, but most of it was excellent strange material. I laughed, I cried, I bought the vinyl "Montana" single.

I've been wavering on picking up Here Come th ABCs, and now I should probably do it.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2005, 11:15:46 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, since when was State Songs a kids' album? Or even a childish one? Sure, it had some strange material, but most of it was excellent strange material. I laughed, I cried, I bought the vinyl "Montana" single.

I've been wavering on picking up Here Come th ABCs, and now I should probably do it.

I didn't mean it was a kids album but they've always played with vaguely edutainmental stuff such as State Songs. I also own the Montana single but my turntable won't play it since it's unbalanced.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2005, 12:43:06 am »

State Songs wasn't edutainmenty at all, though, unless you count the occasional reference to a state flower or some such. I mean, the Arkansas song was about a ship that was a 1:1 scale model of Arkansas and sank the state in its construction, and I'm relatively sure that never happened. Also, "Montana" appears to be more educational about the sad phenomenon of mental illness in long-term hospital patients than about Montana, unless you really think Montana is a leg.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2005, 01:28:43 am »

I just got Esquivel's "Loungecore" album, as well as the Vaseline's "The Way of the Vaselines- A Complete History." And my roomate got a Sammy Davis Jr. box set that I hope to rip sometime soon. Woo.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2005, 04:16:48 am »

Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one - the dude at the record store gave it to me early. Just go to your local shop, and say, "What's the most awesome album of April?" (I asked for March's most awesome, and he said he couldn't think of one, then for february was a band i don't care for, but he was cool with giving me a CD that doesn't come out for a few more days.)

Picture: Southern rock/folk/Canadian country/guitar rock and you might have it*. Beautiful, lyrical, great guitar, songs that tie together = album.


*Or I just can't describe it.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2005, 04:30:28 am »

Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one[...]


I have the live album.  I was all up on it for like a week, then I got a bit bored of it.  Which is strange because I loved it at first.  Just gets a bit boring after several listens.  How does this new one compare to the live record?

Does anyone like Samhain?  I have been listening to their first album.  Never was much of a Danzig fan, and the Misifts are fun and all, but only kind of, but I like this record.

Also, I have been listening to tons of Wu Tang, mainly Ghostface and GZA, and some Raekwon.

Also, anxiously awaiting the new Built to Spill record.  Hopefully by fall I guess.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up