I really can't recommend the Mekons forcefully enough.
Fear and Whiskey has been an absolute favorite of mine for a while, and I just recently "acquired"
Honky Tonkin'. I haven't listened to the entire album (I'm actually not done "acquiring" it--I have a slow method of doing so), but so far it's every bit as good as
Fear and Whiskey. They have a relatively new album that I haven't heard, but I've heard that their recently released retrospective is good. Same with the album
The Mekons Rock 'n' Roll.
I suck at describing music, but I'll give it a shot. They have guitars, vocals, a fiddle, drums, bass, other instruments. They wouldn't sound out of place at a pub (they are British (?), by the way). And...well, I really suck at it.
I know
Fear and Whiskey is on Quarterstick records, which is part of
Touch and Go Records. Rather, it was re-issued on that label, the record was released originally sometime in the early 80s I believe. It looks like most of their records are.
The band also has splinter projects, including the Waco Brothers. I am not familiar with any of those projects.
And
here are some sites associated with them. I'm sure there is a soundclip or two to be found among the sites.
Godamn it. If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the songs was edited. Looks like I'll be buying the record soon. Which I planned to do anyway, it's just somewhat hard to find. Who would
edit a song and then share it? Maybe it was just a blip at the right (or wrong) spot, but I'm fairly certain. Anyway.
Oh, by the way, there is a really great cover of Sin City, the song by the Flying Burrito Brothers, on
Honky Tonkin'.