Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: So... what've you been listening to lately?  (Read 34441 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2005, 06:58:05 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Maybe it'll grow on me, but I was just listening to the Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition before listening to the new one, so there's really little chance the new one could have fared favourably in the comparison.


I agree, it's not The Downward Spiral, but then what is... However, I agreed with someone who commented that this album is Trent rejecting the idea he has to one up anything else he's done. And I mean, Only is just great. And Sunspots, and... Anyhow, it's continuing to grow on me past the 'I dig it' phase.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2005, 07:08:27 am »

Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2005, 06:51:38 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.


I don't know. I don't consider it false. Maybe a bit sad, but then I doubt I'm going to be in any better shape when I'm almost 40 so I can't hold it against him. And I dig the music anyway. The lyrics are certainly better than The Fragile, but then bar a couple of tracks NIN were never about the lyrics for me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

BatzRadio

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 39
  • Check the record, check the guy's rock record.
    • View Profile
    • http://batzradio.livejournal.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2005, 07:01:08 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I got the Futureheads and Franz Ferdinand at the same time and sometimes I get confused about which song is from which band, since the singers sound similar (i.e. like early Blur).

The Futureheads songs though seem to be a bit more forced, like they are trying to be hip and *****ic, like Devo before they were through being cool.


In my head I just think, Futureheads = Good Gang of Four ripoff and Franz Ferdinand = Okay Josef K ripoff. Actually, I somehow dodged hearing FF for a long time, but I got hip to the Futureheads through the last year of the John Peel show archives that were thrown all over Usenet after he passed away.

Lately, part of my listening has been steered by WFMU. I got a hold of the Brian Eno Peel Session tracks he did with the Winkies and they were just awesome. Later this week I'm planning on getting the new Glove Compartment CD from a local indie shop. And whenever I find it I'll get the Heartfelt album from the marvelously bizarre Tony Mason-Cox.

Mostly though I've been working on the pet project of listening to stuff that I like enough to play on my off-and-on internet radio station.
Logged

robot_roll_call

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 331
  • That's one o!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2005, 07:24:44 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.


That's the thing...everyone assumes he's still doing the "Prince of Darkness" thing, but this album is very far from it. It's not an angst-filled album. A number of the songs border on optimistic, (All the Love in the World, Only, Sunspots, Right Where it Belongs) and the whole thing just has a feel of maturity that his others don't. It actually might be my favorite album of his for that reason. At the very least, this album is certainly worthy of going next to his others on my shelf.
Logged
Did you know that Achewood is literary.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2005, 10:17:07 pm »

Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
...the whole thing just has a feel of maturity that his others don't. It actually might be my favorite album of his for that reason. At the very least, this album is certainly worthy of going next to his others on my shelf.


Damnin straight.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2005, 12:04:10 am »

I've been listening to The Used & My Chemical Romance cover of Under Pressure, simply because the radio won't stop playing it.
Logged

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2005, 06:52:19 am »

The Blood Brothers did a cover of Under Pressure a couple years ago, and it beats all. Much panting, screaming, and clapping.

I have been listening to Japanese punk. I need more Systematic Death, bad.
Logged
I am older now.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2005, 07:22:57 am »

You need more Chromatic Death.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2005, 01:43:17 pm »

upon constant listening over the past recent period of time, i have come to the objective conclusion that Blast Tyrant is the Best Rock Album of All Time Until The Next Best Rock Album of All Time appears.

for a more accurate analogy:  take all previous Clutch albums, extract the purest extract of excellence from each, and combine that excellence into one album.

for those not familiar with any previous (or later) Clutch work, the best way to describe their music is that sonically it would kick your favorite music's ass but that socially it be all "hey, sorry, didn't realize my own strength, how do you feel about the consequences of aristotle's death in regards to small sea going vessels in the early 14th centry?".
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2005, 12:12:59 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
You need more Chromatic Death.


Yeah, because I can't really take any SOD with vocals anymore. The only thing that will salvage Milano's name, as far as I'm concerned, is if he puts out a solo Street Sharks-themed concept album.
Logged
I am older now.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2005, 06:06:27 am »

The Nick Cave B-Sides and Rarities compilation (has this been mentioned yet?) is really good.  I just picked it up (traded in some CDs) and it was pretty cheap.  Three CDs for just about $20.

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, of course, but highlights so far include a spectacular cover of Running Scared--a long-time favorite of mine (the Orbison version, though I believe Cave covers it on Kicking Against the Pricks, as well), The Train Song, and a cover of What a Wonderful World.  Oh, and the acoustic versions of Deanna and Mercy Seat are also great (Mercy Seat is probably my favorite Nick Cave song).

I haven't heard the most recent Cave & Bad Seeds album (or double album or whatever).  Anyone else?  I wasn't too impressed with Nocturama, but it was OK.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2005, 11:39:45 am »

As of this past weekend, it's M83's Before The Dawn Heals Us.
It's a bit cheesy at parts, but I still hear some of the good ol' M83 in the instrumental pieces.... the duet that sounds rather Disney-like has GOT to go though.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2005, 05:53:40 am »

Thanks to my girlfriend, I've recently discovered Groove Armada. Giving Vertigo a spin, and playing "At The River" on a track-repeat-for-hours basis.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
So... what've you been listening to lately?
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2005, 06:38:21 am »

I'm a fan of the Nick Cave double. It's spinning like a winner. Recently, I snagged a really old Yo La Tengo album and a rockabilly comp that includes a radio ad for a LP that teaches you how to survive a nuclear apocalypse, and discussions on "beat" with Allen Ginsberg and Margaret Mead.
Did I mention the Virginia Dare album? Did I? Because it's good.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up