Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain  (Read 7066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arlucasinc

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 132
    • View Profile
    • http://arlucasinc.livejournal.com
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« on: February 03, 2005, 01:45:51 pm »

I must admit to being slightly confused by this one.

What's up with the royal garb? Is Onstad still high? What is Ultra Peanut going to say about this?

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 01:49:26 pm »

Fee-reep is going all Edgar Allen Poe on that toy's ass.
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 01:51:26 pm »

Quote from: "arlucasinc"

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.


oh, but i'm down.  She is bad for FreeReep.  He deserves so much better.  (I wish I were five, and a cartoon.)

Anyone else think the drawing style in the last few frames is a bit sketchy?

Also, I wish I cold read tab, and play guitar.  I'm gonna make my roomate play that when she gets home.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 02:14:26 pm »

I will admit to being a little confused by today's strip.  However, as a former guitar player I love "B?" and "G-ish".  Also "Reverently, like a King burying his son" is highly evocative.  I know how that sounds, don't you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:17:10 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I will admit to being a little confused by today's strip.  However, as a former guitar player I love "B?" and "G-ish".


I did like G-ish.
It did leave me overly confused, but hell, I don't always feel a need to totally understand them.

Or what's going on at all for that matter!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pierced lemur

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 02:56:40 pm »

For those curious

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid


(I'm in class, so I haven't listened to it yet)

The last bar is a little dicey, there's five notes in it in 4/4  :)




Edit:

I just listened to it, and it really does sound like something you would play while a king was burying his baby son. I wasn't expecting it to sound like anything.
Logged
Many ladies wake to but single rose and and click of the closink door.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:10:14 pm »

Quote from: "arlucasinc"
I must admit to being slightly confused by this one.

What's up with the royal garb? Is Onstad still high? What is Ultra Peanut going to say about this?

Perhaps that's it, the end of this two day storyline and we won't even see her again for two years.


It all makes sense as part of an anthology.

The music is very apropos though. I would pay for an Achewood songbook.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 03:32:37 pm »

Quote from: "pierced lemur"
For those curious

http://www.megalink.net/~tmann/king.mid


(I'm in class, so I haven't listened to it yet)

The last bar is a little dicey, there's five notes in it in 4/4  :)




Edit:

I just listened to it, and it really does sound like something you would play while a king was burying his baby son. I wasn't expecting it to sound like anything.


Nice!

Chris, do you write music too?  Are you a guitar player?  Is there anything you can't do?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 03:34:31 pm »

Yes, when you buy the book it'll be funny.  You really can't laugh until you've spent money.  There's a rule about this.

I did enjoy breaking out my guitar first thing in the morning and playing a soundtrack to a cartoon, though.   It was so delightful that I had to make myself some chocolate milk because I felt like I was five again.

I also was going to make an mp3 of the music as I interpreted it (that's the problem with tab - no time measure in the notes) but that midi is lovely (although I think the tempo is too fast and not "king burying his son" enough).

Anyway, I think the last panels are what Teodore is thinking his music sounds like, and not what Philippe is actually doing in reality, but the two match up themeatically.

This is one of the best strips in a long time, people.

DON'T BE INGRATES

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:46:53 pm »

Quote from: "jough"

DON'T BE INGRATES


I think my brain is about to explode.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 03:55:54 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jough"

DON'T BE INGRATES


I think my brain is about to explode.


Yes, seriously. What parallel universe have we entered that I'm snarky and Jough is telling us not to be ingrates?

DO YOU HAVE A GOATEE AND A DUELING SCAR JOUGH
Logged

Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.subrevolt.com/phpnuke
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 04:53:12 pm »

Gad I wish MORE comic strippers were [ex-?] graphic designers. This layout is SO well done. Many Kudos, Mr. Onstad.
Logged
** it seemed to give him energy **

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:10:40 pm »

Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Gad I wish MORE comic strippers were [ex-?] graphic designers. This layout is SO well done. Many Kudos, Mr. Onstad.


The many-small-panels format allows for room for things like the musical notation: a leitmotif that spans multiple panels yet still allows sequential storytelling to happen.

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 05:41:21 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
    • http://www.subrevolt.com/phpnuke
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 06:17:35 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.
Logged
** it seemed to give him energy **
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up