Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain  (Read 7058 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 06:27:50 pm »

I admire the graphic design while not being all that impressed with the joke. Ah, well. Life goes on, and I can always appreciate the strip as a graphic artifact.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 06:32:34 pm »

<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 06:36:34 pm »

Man, Jough, don't go player-hatin' on account of Bobby. I'm sure Onstad will show up and call him an amusing geometry-based diminutive soon.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 06:47:44 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.


I never said I didn't like it.  I said it confused me.  For many years I paid large sums of money to purchase chemical and botanical substances to acheive a similar state of confusion.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 06:57:21 pm »

Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

I've said it before and will say it again: more real estate is good. I like the many-panels format.


Ditto.
I got the Calvin and Hobbes Sundays book for christmas, and Watterson talks a lot about how he liked getting to use more experimental layouts to tell the stories, or excerpts thereof, and I've always liked how it crops up in Achewood. And the evolution over a few strips of the stoned many panels to this.


Scott McCloud talks about a similar thing in Reinventing Comics. One of the reasons he believes the intArweb is a great place to publish comics is because there are no spacial restrictions or pages that need to be turned, if that is the artist's wish. On the serailzer pages, there is this comic called Fetus X, which is a perfect example of this.


Yes, but Scott McCloud is also a delerious loony.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 06:58:21 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
<Bangs head against wall.>

Just for the record, none of you people have any right to bitch when I don't like a strip that YOU think is great.

Fuck you.


But you're The Jough. You complain. We mock your complaining. IT IS THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 07:07:10 pm »

Creativity is like a rubber ball. No matter how bouncy it is there are some surfaces on which it will fall flat.

Today, I am one of those surfaces.
But toothpastefordinner today is awesome. So you win some and lose some.
Logged

Chris Onstad

  • Mr. Achewood
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
    • http://www.achewood.com
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 08:00:01 pm »

Thank you for making that midi of the tablature. After listening I edited the strip to fix errors in the notation. It should play in 4/4 and not be "ragged" in the last measure, as it is well documented that medieval kings had no way of imagining ragtime music, depressed or not, and besides, ragtime is no music to play at such a somber event.  

I think the reason some of you feel that today's "joke" didn't hit with you is because I didn't write a "joke." It's some sassy Click Talk, some guitar music, and a weird pre-transition. We went through like a month of jokeless strips when Philippe got kidnapped, people, and we all grew a little.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 08:05:19 pm »

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Thank you for making that midi of the tablature. After listening I edited the strip to fix errors in the notation. It should play in 4/4 and not be "ragged" in the last measure, as it is well documented that medieval kings had no way of imagining ragtime music, depressed or not, and besides, ragtime is no music to play at such a somber event.  

I think the reason some of you feel that today's "joke" didn't hit with you is because I didn't write a "joke." It's some sassy Click Talk, some guitar music, and a weird pre-transition. We went through like a month of jokeless strips when Philippe got kidnapped, people, and we all grew a little.


Achewood songbook. When are we gonna see it? How much will it cost? I AM BEING A CONSUMER HERE.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2005, 08:17:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
But you're The Jough. You complain. We mock your complaining. IT IS THE NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS.


You're right.  Everything's fine.  I'm sure I can get these all little pieces of brain back inside my skull if I keep trying.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 08:17:48 pm »

i thought those were the lyrics to the song.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 08:18:59 pm »

Allow me to clarify: I didn't enjoy the strip as anything other than a graphic-design artifact. It wasn't just not funny, it was kind of nonsensical and definitely not of the caliber of other serious or more-serious strips. Jesus, man, we're not all troglodytes.

WHAT'S THE JOKE I DON'T GET IT WHY ARE THE DOGS TALKING

That said, I will probably like tomorrow's. That's the joy of a daily strip; there's always new content to distract you, and with a strip of Achewood's quality, it'll probably be good.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 08:22:27 pm »

I still want to know how this goes.
Logged

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 08:28:45 pm »

Well, I'm a fan, but I'm also drinking at 3 pm.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
2-3-2005 I Bring the Pain
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 08:35:07 pm »

Quote from: "Bozack"
Well, I'm a fan, but I'm also drinking at 3 pm.


do you think it is rad to have alcoholism bozack
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up