Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"  (Read 8799 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:28:41 am »



It's not a buffet mind you, actually it's a sleazy neighboorhood convenience store, but they have none other than our favorite example of corporate cartooning at it's worst Garfield hawking "Buffet Style Pizza".  I can't even fathom what that could actually mean.  Possibly the only pizza worse than buffet pizza is convenience store pizza.  No, this isn't frozen convenience store pizza, it's Buffet Style.  All toppings, no extra charge.  Yeah!!!



Garfield makes such a good corporate shill.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 02:42:35 am »

What precisely is "buffet style" pizza? The only image that comes to mind is the several pizza lunch buffets that were around while I was in high school, but they were generally quite excellent.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 03:02:46 am »

Yes, Paul, we demand further investigation.
Logged
goose means greedy

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:03:19 am »

The Pizza Hut near my work has a banner advertising a pizza lunch buffet but I've never gone. But now that I stop to think about I'm not really sure what that means.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:04:20 am »

I won't defend Garfield, but I will defend pizza buffets.  The Pizza Inn I hit for lunch every couple of weeks has very good pizza, the waitresses are sweet in a corny old-fashioned beehive hairdo sort of way and they have those little baby corns on the salad bar.  7 of 10.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 03:05:51 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
The Pizza Hut near my work has a banner advertising a pizza lunch buffet but I've never gone. But now that I stop to think about I'm not really sure what that means.

The ones I've seen have a fairly simple thing: basically, they have a buffet like with various pizzas laid out, and you can get slices as you like, typically on the "all you care to eat" mold. Even the rinky-dink ones usually also have breadsticks and salads, and the really nice ones often have a variety of other dishes (pasta seems to be popular, as is the ubiquitous Buffet Soft-Serve Machine).

Anyway, moving this, because what the christ does it have to do with A&E?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 03:11:30 am »

We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Cheers, V
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 03:30:14 am »

Buffet pizza doesn't have to suck, but it's never as good as hand tossed made to order pizza.  However, i'm mostly just amused at the concept of buffet style.  What could that mean exactly.  As best as I understand it, the pizza on a buffet is basically the same as any other pizza, and buffet only describes the way it is served.  How you can get this in a convenience store is totally beyond me.  Furthermore, the billboard perpetrates more falsehood by showing Garfield actually serving the pizza instead of placing it on a buffet.  It's just so bogus I think it  laughably underscores Jim Davis anything for money attitude that it was worth posting.  Is there a limit to what he will license his intellectual property for?  Apparently not.

I put this in arts and entertainment because I thought it was gonna be more about Garfield than the pizza.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 03:30:47 am »

Quote from: "slink"
We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Well, good ones also make sure the pizza on the buffet stays fresh and hot. It's all a quality thing, really.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 04:24:37 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "slink"
We have Pizza Huts like this over here. They suck so bad. Pizza that's pretty much been sat there for a while... Great!

Well, good ones also make sure the pizza on the buffet stays fresh and hot. It's all a quality thing, really.


If you go at lunchtime the pizza doesn't stay on the buffet long enough to be other than fresh or hot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 04:26:15 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
I put this in arts and entertainment because I thought it was gonna be more about Garfield than the pizza.

~Paul


This is your first Onion Offense card> :)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 01:21:52 pm »

Shouldn't it be lasagne?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »

Convenience Store "Buffet Pizza" is a brand, not a way of serving pizza.  Herebouts, every BP/Amoco makes/sells "Buffet Pizza" brand pizza.  started about 2 years ago, iirc.

the pizza's are about 10 inches or so.  the crust is thickish.  sauce good.  lot's of cheese.  toppings are "free".

The cut them into 4 slices, then they box those slices, and put them into a warming machine near the counter, so that you can by a "slice".

if fresh, they are very good.  if not fresh they are bad like most not fresh food.

i have a feeling that if you don't like fast food, or convenience store food (2nd best fried chicken in town, till Gus's put a shop in they were 1st, is at a gas station.), then you will hate Buffet Pizza.

If you like that sort of food (have you ever asked, "extra MSG please?"), you will most likely fall in love with Buffet Pizza.

It is expensive, though, as are all foods at a convenience store.

as for buffets at restaurants that serve Pizza, Pizza hut's lunch buffet is an excellent, cost-effective way to stuff yourself sick during the lunch hour.  My esteemed Buffet Colleage is correct, during a busy lunch hour the buffet's pizzas get eaten so fast that they will stay hot and fresh due to replacement at quick intervals.  plus salad bar for those that think roughage is a good idea before eating massive quantities of doughy product covered with gobs of CHEESE.


PS-
i hate mondays.

pps-
i have not seen any mascots ont he Buffet Pizza brand signs in town, i will keep an eye out.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 04:40:27 pm »

There's a pizza place back home, Fat Jimmys, that does a real good pizza buffet thing. Mmmmm.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 04:51:08 pm »

I can appreciate really good pizza, and I can tell a difference between good and not-so-good pizza.

That said, I really like the not-so-good pizza, as well.  I love the frozen ones you can get for $.79 to $2.00 at the grocery store.  I love Costco pizza.  I love buffet pizza.  Little Caesar's too.  I just love pizza.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up