Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"  (Read 8819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2005, 05:13:43 pm »

herebouts you can get totino's pizza's for like a buck a pop.  i love the crust, it's so crispy and flaky.
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

V-Adore

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2005, 05:50:59 pm »

Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

I live in a small college town with two pizza places, both heavily delivery-oriented. One is a mom-and-pop infamous for glacially slow delivery (good pizza, but expect to be waiting an hour and a half), and the other is an "avant-garde" kind of place (read: can't get a goddamn pepperoni pizza without giant tomato chunks or onions or like whole sardines or something). Both have slowly grown on me. There used to be a Pizza Hut, but it closed; God only knows why you would possibly close a Pizza Hut in a college town, but foul play has been indicated.

EDIT: Today, with this post, I am an artificial liver. The sun has made a note of my face.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2005, 05:55:42 pm »

I'll have to remember for future reference that pizza trumps Garfield as a discussion topic.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 05:56:12 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

I live in a small college town with two pizza places, both heavily delivery-oriented. One is a mom-and-pop infamous for glacially slow delivery (good pizza, but expect to be waiting an hour and a half), and the other is an "avant-garde" kind of place (read: can't get a goddamn pepperoni pizza without giant tomato chunks or onions or like whole sardines or something). Both have slowly grown on me. There used to be a Pizza Hut, but it closed; God only knows why you would possibly close a Pizza Hut in a college town, but foul play has been indicated.


Congrats on 2500!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 05:58:44 pm »

Pizza is a topic close to my heart.  19 years ago I got a job delivering pizzas while I took a semester off from college.  I met the manager, we got to know each other, fell in love, moved in together, got married, had kids and the rest is all history.

She's still my boss.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 06:04:37 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Pizza is a topic close to my heart.  19 years ago I got a job delivering pizzas while I took a semester off from college.  I met the manager, we got to know each other, fell in love, moved in together, got married, had kids and the rest is all history.

She's still my boss.


So, when ya'll worked together did you ever have an experience like this

J/K big guy, you know I love you.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 07:54:30 pm »

Quote from: "miles"
I can appreciate really good pizza, and I can tell a difference between good and not-so-good pizza.

That said, I really like the not-so-good pizza, as well.  I love the frozen ones you can get for $.79 to $2.00 at the grocery store.  I love Costco pizza.  I love buffet pizza.  Little Caesar's too.  I just love pizza.

I'm a sucker for original Tombstone pepperoni & sausage. And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.

Pizza IS the four food groups!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 08:39:19 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.


We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 08:49:10 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And you still have Little Caesar's? Around here they all turned into Vocelli's.

We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.

Now I've got the little "pizza pizza" guy stuck in my head.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 09:47:38 pm »

I worked in the pizza preparation industry for many years. I know the ins and outs of fantastic pizza and there is no way buffet style pizza can be more than tepid as far as pizzas go especially if Garfield has touched it in any way.
Stick with Lasagna (that looks like canneloni anyway) you filthy creature.

But I think the general mass of North america hasn't much concept of how good pizza can be. Pizza hut the most successful of Pizza companies is a greasy stain on the world of flavour. Try as we might to wash that stain out, it has ruined the fabric of good taste forever. I mean they fry the pie  in a pan of oil for starters. They proceed to spray it with grease to give it that shiny gloss and the toppings... freshness is a word that has never been uttered within the four walls of a pizza hut.

Give me hand tossed, oven baked with freshly chopped ingredients, made by some minimum wage earning student or give me... I don't know... AIDS.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 10:39:27 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
We still have Little Caesar's in these parts.  You can get a large Pepperoni for $5.00 any time.  Premade, but you still have the high turnover thing going on, so it's generally hot and fresh.  Two make for a cheap takeout dinner for the fambly.


My girlfriend and I found one of those places five minutes from the apartment; I was surprised to discover that (a) they were still in business and (b) put out pizza I actually like better than others at twice the price. I don't know if our location is different, but they'll do any single topping on a large pie for five bucks - I'm partial to mushrooms, myself - and pizza that tasty at such a low price has become the Path of Least Resistance, dinner-wise, on way too many occasions.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2005, 10:48:55 pm »

Quote from: "Skillator"
But I think the general mass of North america hasn't much concept of how good pizza can be. Pizza hut the most successful of Pizza companies is a greasy stain on the world of flavour. Try as we might to wash that stain out, it has ruined the fabric of good taste forever. I mean they fry the pie  in a pan of oil for starters. They proceed to spray it with grease to give it that shiny gloss and the toppings... freshness is a word that has never been uttered within the four walls of a pizza hut.


I really can appreciate a good pizza, and am willing, occassionally, to pay more bucks for one, if necessary (and it isn't always necessary).  But sometimes, only the cheap shit will hit the spot.  And usually, that works out well because cheap shit is what I can afford.

Incidentally, Pizza Hut is one of the only pizzas I don't like.  

Are you the pizza snob reviewer who writes for the local alternative weekly publication here?  Just kiddin'.  But really, truer words were ne'er spoken:

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Even bad pizza is good. It is sort of a miracle.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 11:40:36 pm »

Man, August, when I finally meet you, all I'm going to think about is your Romance Among the Pepperoni.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2005, 12:36:37 am »

I have to be very drunk indeed before I'll eat pizza, but that is absolutely the state that this city is optimized for.  Any street with bars also has a thousand "99-cent" pizza places, where the sneaky trick is that only cheese pizza is 99 cents, and they stop making it at night, so drunk people have to shell out the extra fifty cents or so.  
But mostly I think the vast majority of pizza can go straight to food hell.  I had this slice of crazy good vegan pizza in New York a while ago, but mostly I just don't dig it.  So I guess I'll go live on vegan island with the rest of the weird vegans.
Logged
goose means greedy

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2005, 12:53:30 am »



Now that's some crazy good pizza.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up