Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"  (Read 8802 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2005, 03:56:02 am »

That looks good.  I like lots of toppings.  Mmm...

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2005, 06:03:45 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Now that's some crazy good pizza.


Is that Antonio's Original Flying over on Hillcroft?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2005, 09:01:10 am »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Is that Antonio's Original Flying over on Hillcroft?


Bingo.

And here's Antonio...

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2005, 04:24:07 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
That looks good.  I like lots of toppings.  Mmm...

I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2005, 05:19:35 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.


Pizza's not web design, dude. You are missing out on some unique taste sensations (thumbs up to your toppings of choice, though; maybe add some pickled eggplant and mushrooms into the mix...?).
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2005, 05:25:28 pm »

I have to say, I was quite swayed by mascarpone on pizza. I thought it would just be weird, but as a topping seperate from mozarella, and with some nice cured meat, it's really good.
I tend to eat really plain pizza, as it's impossible to get good pizza round here, so the fewer toppings the better I find. I really should make more use of the bread machine to mix dough.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2005, 05:49:44 pm »

I tend to think of pizza as kind of like sex.  Even bad pizza is worth having.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2005, 09:34:41 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm a minimalist. I just like basil and maybe some sun-dried tomatoes on my pizza.

Pizza's not web design, dude. You are missing out on some unique taste sensations (thumbs up to your toppings of choice, though; maybe add some pickled eggplant and mushrooms into the mix...?).

I'll go for a muscles pizza, "philly steak," &c if I go to a fancy place like Pizza Paradiso but for my general Friday night gullet filling from the place on the corner (Facia Luna) simple is my usual choice.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2005, 10:59:57 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'll go for a muscles pizza, "philly steak,"


It may be just that I'm high, but that made me think that smoked mussels on pizza might just kick ass. It's probably the pot though...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Skillator

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2005, 07:03:28 pm »

When I was at the old pizza joint we did some crazy shit. Toasted sandwiches with pizza toppings anyone? Calzones, taco pizza, nachos, all sorts of good things.

Taco pizza is wonderful: Salsa sauce, beef/chicken and onions and light mozza... cook it. Once cooked and cut, add sour cream, fresh lettuce (chopped), tomatos and cheddar. The cheddar will melt in the box.  It's all hell of messy but it is a taste sensation not soon forgotten.

My personal specialty was sauce fortified with chili pepper flakes, sundried tomato, spinach, light onion, chicken, parmesan and mozza.
With a bit of jalepeno ranch dip you will transcend existence and enter a galaxy of pure flavour.

Pizza creation is like an expirement that cannot possibly go wrong. But when attempted by experienced professionals can change your mouth's life.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2005, 09:12:55 pm »

The worst pizza I have ever had in my life was in the UK, but it was Leeds, not Scotland, so maybe you have something better there. They have strange ideas about what to put on pizzas there.

I did try Haggis and it was good, though.

I don't actually like any national chain-store Pizza. I like to try mom-and-pop shop pizzas. I draw a very strong distinction between 'Pizza' and a gourmet dish featuring boutique ingredients like smoked mussels or sundried tomatoes on a flatbread. I like them but I can't put them in the same category with a good pizza.

I see the ingredients have been discussed but what about the all-important crust? I love deep dish pizza (wife hates it for some reason) and I used to get the thinnest soda-cracker type crust pizza in Columbus Ohio (I can't remember where, it was near Conrad's... close to or at the Varsity) and it was awesome.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2005, 09:14:50 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I see the ingredients have been discussed but what about the all-important crust? I love deep dish pizza (wife hates it for some reason) and I used to get the thinnest soda-cracker type crust pizza in Columbus Ohio (I can't remember where, it was near Conrad's... close to or at the Varsity) and it was awesome.

That 2" thick crap they sell in Chicago is not pizza, it's a crime against nature. It totally throws off the ingredient ratio so they whole thing tastes like dough. NY pizza is the best as it's verty thin but not so thin that it snaps when you bite it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2005, 09:18:23 pm »

I love deep dish pizza and it's really good if you it right. It doesn't take more dough to make a deep dish pizza and if that's what you get then it was  crap.

So what is the 'ingredient ratio' you mention?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2005, 09:38:08 pm »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So what is the 'ingredient ratio' you mention?

Just that the toppings shouldn't completely overpower the crust or vice versa.  I don't have an actual formula I just think that a slice of pizza shouldn't taste like just sauce or just crust as so often happens with shitty pizza.
Logged

Skillator

  • Guest
Garfield's "Buffet Style Pizza"
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2005, 10:24:30 pm »

Deep dish means cooked in oil and I'm am hell of not down with that.

Hand tossed by some minimum wage kid who has practiced for years and is very proud of the skill he has acquired is the way to do it. But I have had stuff flattened with a roller that was good.

Brick oven is the high quality cooking method the way you'll only get from some actual Italian guy. Those conveyor belt ovens can do an alright job. Doughy is bad unless you have something to do with that crust, like dip.

But crust is a complicated thing. If it doesn't have much flavour, your sauce has to be loaded with it. But a good bit of herb in the crust really sets up a great taste experience.
But keep the oil away from my damned pie!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up