jesus christ people, lighten up. lighten up before i go BACK IN TIME and make fun of the things you do as adolescents.
God
forbid my adolescence be laid bare on the fuck*ng
Internet. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a terrifyingly earnest and atrocious piece of teenage Whatever on the web and thought,
I am so fuck*ng lucky this technology wasn't around when I was a kid. Humiliating yourself was a lot harder when you were confined to a few local BBSs and mostly talking about comic books and Trade Wars 2002.
So I'm pretty sympathetic as re: kids / teenagers who get their creative ya-ya's out via the odd fanfic. They can't
not expect to get dragged over the coals, though - anyone who's been online for any appreciable period of time must have observed that
some of these people are really fuck*ng good at long-distance cruelty. Anyway, I was mostly talking about / interested in
adults who do this sort of thing with a level of dedication greater than or equal to "engaged hobbyist".
(Most of what I wrote was MST3K fanfic, if we want true confessions here.)
I forgot about these. Some of them can be very, very funny (I read
"an interactive MSTing" of a text adventure called "Detective" that busted my fuck*ng gut - easily one of the funniest things I've ever read,
ever) but, yeah. You can imagine just how bad the MST3K concept could be in inept hands, and I do not even want to read about
those characters' Special Thoughts & Feelings.
I spent an evening in the studio editing clips of Jeff Goldblum from various movies to the tune of the first track on Nine Inch Nails "Broken".
That's not so much technically under the "fan fiction" umbrella so much as it is
fuckin' awesome. You're talking about "Pinion", right?
EDIT: I added a link to "Detective". Everyone should try this.