Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Squatting - Advice please.  (Read 4140 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« on: February 17, 2005, 08:58:43 pm »

Hey kids,

I haven't ever seen this before, but there's a member at the Poetry X forums who seems to have set a thread where he blogs, posts photos of people, etc., like it was his own private blog.

Is there even a name for publishing a web site on a public forum on someone else's server?  The only thing I can think of is "forum squatting."

Anyway, I'm more amused than annoyed but still, I gave the lad a stern talking-to.

I don't post much there and have let the Poetry X fora self-regulate for the past two years.  But someone e-mailed me about this guy who does post a little in other threads (mostly to insult other members) but mostly just posts his blog, photos, and poems in his own thread.  It's bizarre.

He seems pretty touchy but he DOES have a lot of time on his hands.  I may offer him some web space in return for doing some work for me.

He's posted links to my sites on various other fora too but I don't know how valuable the crackpot link is.  It's like publishing a link on a link farm, or one of those FFA sites.

Anyway, I'm trying not to be dictatorial about this, but it's against my nature.  So I'm hoping some cooler heads may have advice on how to handle this without clamping down or moderating all threads, etc.

These fora here tend to work so very nicely, although that may be due to harsh modding that I never see.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 09:12:39 pm »

Tricky one.
I don't think we have particularly strict modding going on here, although even if I'm not visibly around I am always checking out the fora in case. I rarely have to do anything though. It seems the Achewood section has considerably more going on modwise than anywhere else here.

It sounds like something that doesn't fit with that forum though, but whether modding is the answer I don't know. It sounds to me like it might be best to find some responsible members of that forum to take over some sort of modding or at least a watchful eye to let you know about things to deal with. Seems like the least effort to me!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 09:20:24 pm »

Why didn't I think of this?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 10:03:10 pm »

Yeah, people could save themselves lots of money on web hosting or blogging software by just setting up camp in their own forum thread on some under-modded server and then posting the address for friends and family.

I don't know if this represents a new trend or what.  As I said, I'm surprised I haven't seen this before.

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 11:33:47 pm »

yeah, all i could think when i read your post jough was 'damn, great idea.'

but really, it STILL doesn't make sense, as stuff like blogger is free and reasonably easy to use.  why don't you just point him in the direction of blogger, or maybe flickr if he wants pictures?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 11:52:58 pm »

Pointing him towards Blogger or *journal would be helpful, yeah. If he's posting pictures, presumably he already has the webspace for it...

That said, offering him some webspace on PoetryX is a noble offer as well.

My question is: do people actually read it and comment at all? Or is he just sort of sitting in the corner pretending to be meaningful?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:41:14 am »

Very few other people post in his/her thread.  I did suggest Blogger, and he replied with indignation that he has NEVER blogged and never will.  Of course, what he's posting is blogging no matter what he calls it.

I'm hoping just my noticing and posting a "Tsk tsk" in his thread will be enough to discourage his posting his insipid content to the site.  He also seems to have a different IP address every time he posts, so I don't know if he's using some kind of proxy or something.  It's all so very strange, yet amusing for the time being.

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:56:25 am »

The poor dude must be going blind; he actually thinks that an enormous column of animated GIFs is "quite relaxing".

Seriously, though: I went over to check it out, expecting to be amused by Pat-esque indignation ("I do NOT 'blog'!"), but that one line:

 
Quote from: "Netsky"
I write daily. I have no other life. I am going blind. I don't need more chills in my life.


...was just such so pitifully honest, especially amid all the semantic dodging and well-I-never fluttering of wings, that it took the fun out of the whole exercise.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:17:00 am »

Wow. Just wow. That was interesting...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 01:30:04 am »

Wow. After reading two pages of that, I'm officially weirded out.

What is that dude's deal, anyway?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 02:01:04 am »

My favorite part is that he apparently named himself after an infapenis series of viruses. Whose author was at "war" with that of another virus (bagel? My memory is fuzzy).
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 03:47:06 am »

Really?  I thought the author took his name (he explains it in that fuzzy logic of his) because he was BANNED from the CNet forums and somehow that meant that he was in the sky (fuzzy...) so now it's netsky?

I don't know.  Zart's right - the dude would be so easy to mock were he not so pitiful.  And then I go and lay down the daddy-rules on him and he gets MF *indignant* all up in that piece.

Anyway, I'm going blind too, but I don't whine about my "rights" to post on someone else's web site (his PMs to me were WAY more indignant than even his posts, too).

What an imbezel.  What an ultra-maroon.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 03:49:03 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Really?  I thought the author took his name (he explains it in that fuzzy logic of his) because he was BANNED from the CNet forums and somehow that meant that he was in the sky (fuzzy...) so now it's netsky?

If you google his name the first hit is "Netsky Removal" which I find hilarious.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 06:00:47 am »

Yeah, Netsky removal is what I'm considering.

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
Forum Squatting - Advice please.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 06:17:14 am »

Could his name be a SkyNet reference? Perhaps he's word-dyslexic. Or an idiot.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up