Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson  (Read 3812 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« on: February 21, 2005, 05:37:47 am »

Holy crap.

Sad and inexplicable.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 06:07:00 am »

I don't even know what to say.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 07:15:22 am »

2005 is simply fuck*ng with us.

What really chilled me about this death, and I mean literally chilled, as in I felt cold reading the words, was the word suicide - he'd always been a survivor, bound and determined to seize life in his teeth and hang onto that fuck*ng ride until the bitter goddamned end - so why'd he do it? I remembered his piece on the death of the incredible George Plimpton, and his admiration for Plimpton's zest for continued, varied experience; Plimpton wasn't a quitter, and for HST to fuck*ng shoot himself to death -

After all the man had seen and done, what was so Strange & Terrible that he simply couldn't continue?

Mother fucker.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 08:28:43 am »

You know, it's funny.  My dad called me to say that the gonzo journalist had died and asked me if I could guess how.

My first guess was "self-inflicted gun shot wound."

I don't know why - but Dr. Thompson never seemed like the kind of a man who would go out like a punk.

This just seems right somehow.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:37:56 am »

In the end drugs make you miserable.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:41:17 am »

Shit.
Goddamn.
I had figured he was going to just go on, loaded up on drugs. I know there comes and age when that stops working, but he seems still capable of writing while in that state. Shit.

Somehow, Hunter was a figure who I admired greatly, without quite admiring...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 01:39:34 pm »

Seems that him and Gidget were in a murder-suicide pact.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 02:51:07 pm »

Hell of bad news to wake up to.  A gasp actually escaped my mouth when I heard the news on the radio this morning.
Logged

Max

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 147
    • View Profile
    • http://rock-action.blogspot.com
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 03:41:17 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
You know, it's funny.  My dad called me to say that the gonzo journalist had died and asked me if I could guess how.

My first guess was "self-inflicted gun shot wound."

I don't know why - but Dr. Thompson never seemed like the kind of a man who would go out like a punk.

This just seems right somehow.


I never thought he'd go out with a whimper, but I always did sort of imagine it being a bigger bang...showdown with the SWAT team, or wrestling a bear, or something.

One of the few celebrity deaths that honestly horrified and saddened me.  He'll be missed.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 03:58:09 pm »

<Weeps>
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 11:12:05 pm »

Yeah, I found out late last night, & sat up talking about him with the boy with whom I'd first watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Pretty depressing.  I'm in Ontario visiting the fam. right now, and one of the first things my father said about it was speculating what's going to happen to Duke in Doonesbury.
Logged
goose means greedy

Bozack

  • Most Melancholy of Batmen
  • Moderator
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1651
  • stop this car, i'm getting out
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 03:02:24 am »

God. THIS YEAR fuck*ng SUCKS.
Logged
Hey, things are going okay now!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 10:32:02 pm »

Hunter's Memorial blasting from a giant clenched fist is set for this weekend.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 05:43:25 pm »

His suicide note, as it appeared over the AP wire today:

Quote
A Feb. 16 note may be Thompson's final written words. It reads:

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax — This won't hurt."

Hunter left the note for his wife, Anita. He shot himself four days later at his home in Aspen, Colo., after weeks of pain from a host of physical problems that included a broken leg and a hip replacement.

Written in black marker, the note was titled, "Football Season Is Over."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up